How to - Specific filter not found in "people"... so far!

How to - Specific filter not found in "people"... so far!

Chris411
Hi All

I have a need to find all people in Gramps that are location in a certain country. eg NZ
I have had a look through the filters and cant seem to find the right one for this task under "people".

The desired filter would be editable to include those places that have a suburb/region in the same country but not noted anywhere else on them that that location is within the country the filter is set to search... That make sense??

So the "Filter" would then show all names that have the country chosen and or suburbs known to be in the same country.

Can someone assist me on this please?

Cheers
Chris

Re: How to - Specific filter not found in "people"... so far!

Richard Taylor-2
On 02/03/2011 06:26, Chriss4 wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have a need to find all people in Gramps that are location in a
> certain country. eg NZ
> I have had a look through the filters and cant seem to find the right
> one for this task under "people".
>
> The desired filter would be editable to include those places that have a
> suburb/region in the same country but not noted anywhere else on them
> that that location is within the country the filter is set to search...
> That make sense??
>
> So the "Filter" would then show all names that have the country chosen
> and or suburbs known to be in the same country.
>
> Can someone assist me on this please?

Hi Chris

You could use the 'People with records containing <substring>' filter.
If you create a 'custom filter' as described here:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Filter

And look for People with the substring 'NZ' and 'exact case' you should
get what you need. It is not as exact as matching on the country
specifically but it should work.

Richard

Re: How to - Specific filter not found in "people"... so far!

Tony Gordon
On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 19:26 +1300, Chriss4 wrote:
Hi All

I have a need to find all people in Gramps that are location in a certain country. eg NZ
I have had a look through the filters and cant seem to find the right one for this task under "people".

The desired filter would be editable to include those places that have a suburb/region in the same country but not noted anywhere else on them that that location is within the country the filter is set to search... That make sense??

So the "Filter" would then show all names that have the country chosen and or suburbs known to be in the same country.

Can someone assist me on this please?

Cheers
Chris

Try using the 'Event filter' in the 'People' view. Use 'People with the personal <event>' and pick whatever event you want to choose, e.g. 'Residence', and type in part of the place name you want e.g. NZ (if that is how you have entered it in Places). You could build a filter with more than one condition, each covering a different event or a different spelling of the place, if you want a wider filter.

Tony