How to Upgrade GRAMPS, Win10

Phylis Sophical
Make sure you have made a .gpkg update including media files. (Family Trees >
Make Backup)
Don't have to uninstall old version first. It creates a new totally separate
folder for the new version.
During install, it lists your most recent .gpkg file.
 It gives a warning message:
“Are you sure you want to upgrade this Family Tree?”. States it changes the
schema version (?) from v18 format to v. 19. IF you upgrade, you won't be
able to use previous version."
Click the button that says, "I have made a backup, please upgrade my Family
Tree.”
It opens with your most recent backup.
Bookmarks and all are there but check 'media' files, some of mine were
missing.

I'm posting this because I had a horrible fear of loosing everything if I
upgraded. I found the Gramps wiki too confusing, too much info for various
scenario's. Also couldn't find nice simple directions on the forum for
Windows. Hope it helps someone else.

-----
Gramps AIO64-4.2.5-1
Windows 10

Gramps AIO64-4.2.5-1
Windows 10

Re: How to Upgrade GRAMPS, Win10

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Backups in a variety of formats are always a good "belt & suspenders" idea when doing a major upgrade. (Like a version 4.x.x to a 5.x.x)

Also good is to embed the version number in the Backup filename. This helps if you ever find you need to do the 'Wayback Machine' style recovery. It is a pain downloading & installing retro versions until you find the one that matches your backup.

-Brian

On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 10:07, Phylis Sophical
[...]

Excellent idea Brian, Thxs

-----
Gramps AIO64-4.2.5-1
Windows 10