How to best print a chart showing a relationship?

How to best print a chart showing a relationship?

Peter (chamdo4ever)
Hi All,

I've been a very happy Gramps user for a few years now (currently
using 4.2.4 on Ubuntu 14.04), but believe it or not I have never had a
reason to generate or print any sort of chart or graph. When it comes
to that, I'm a newbie.

Now, in an effort to convince some people who don't know of my
existence to provide a DNA sample, I'd to send them a chart
illustrating my relationship to them. Their Great-Great Grandfather is
my Great-Great-Great-Grandfather -- we are third cousins, once
removed.

For them to receive a big family tree from a stranger with lots of
data I think would be overwhelming, especially to a non-genealogist.

But a simple one page chart or graph showing our relationship and
common ancestor might help break the ice.

What is the best and most straightforward way to do this in Gramps
4.2.4. in Ubuntu 14.04?

Thanks,

Peter

Re: How to best print a chart showing a relationship?

Ron Johnson
Two different methods come instantly to mind:

1) Run a Lines of Descendancy report for you and another for the other person.

2) Make a filter on all the common ancestor's descendants (with spouses),
export that into a new tree, trim out the unneeded people and then run a
Relationships graph.

On 02/06/2017 07:24 PM, Peter (chamdo4ever) wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been a very happy Gramps user for a few years now (currently
> using 4.2.4 on Ubuntu 14.04), but believe it or not I have never had a
> reason to generate or print any sort of chart or graph. When it comes
> to that, I'm a newbie.
>
> Now, in an effort to convince some people who don't know of my
> existence to provide a DNA sample, I'd to send them a chart
> illustrating my relationship to them. Their Great-Great Grandfather is
> my Great-Great-Great-Grandfather -- we are third cousins, once
> removed.
>
> For them to receive a big family tree from a stranger with lots of
> data I think would be overwhelming, especially to a non-genealogist.
>
> But a simple one page chart or graph showing our relationship and
> common ancestor might help break the ice.
>
> What is the best and most straightforward way to do this in Gramps
> 4.2.4. in Ubuntu 14.04?

Re: How to best print a chart showing a relationship?

Doug-11
On 07/02/17 02:32, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Two different methods come instantly to mind:
>
> 1) Run a Lines of Descendancy report for you and another for the other person.
>
> 2) Make a filter on all the common ancestor's descendants (with spouses),
> export that into a new tree, trim out the unneeded people and then run a
> Relationships graph.
> <snip>

Or if that leaves a lot of trimming to be done and you only
want a bare bones tree -

in (2) filter on the common ancestor's descendants; tag the
people you want to include in the graph; run a Relationships
graph with the filter on the tag

Doug

Re: How to best print a chart showing a relationship?

paul womack
Doug wrote:

> On 07/02/17 02:32, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> Two different methods come instantly to mind:
>>
>> 1) Run a Lines of Descendancy report for you and another for the other person.
>>
>> 2) Make a filter on all the common ancestor's descendants (with spouses),
>> export that into a new tree, trim out the unneeded people and then run a
>> Relationships graph.
>> <snip>
>
> Or if that leaves a lot of trimming to be done and you only
> want a bare bones tree -
>
> in (2) filter on the common ancestor's descendants; tag the
> people you want to include in the graph; run a Relationships
> graph with the filter on the tag

I do this using filters; rather a lot of them (4), sadly.

The key idea is to intersect the ancestor trees of the descendants,
with the descendant trees of the ancestors.

Use the Tools->Utilities->Relationship Calculator to find the common ancestor(s)
you want to use.

Now create your first filter:
1: "Joined, ancs of both"

This is made using the "Ancestor of Person" Rule, as many times
as you like (probably twice).

The filter's Option is set to "At Least One Rule must apply" (AKA "or").

Second filter:
2: "Joined, decs of common ancestor"

Similar to the above, using multiple "Descendants of Person" rules
and "At Least One Rule must apply"

Now start to combine filters, filter number 3

3: "Joined, ancs and decs"

This simply uses "People matching the filter" twice,
on the two rules we've already defined, and "All Rules Must Apply" (AKA "and")

I finally added an optional layer over this;

4:"joined, include spouses"

This used "Spouses of filter (Joined ancs and decs)" as well as
People matching the filter (Joined ancs and decs) with "At Least One Rule must apply"

     BugBear

Re: How to best print a chart showing a relationship?

Peter (chamdo4ever)
Thank you all for your replies. All the options presented were
helpful, and I considered each of them.

Since it didn't require that much trimming, I've decided to go with
Ron's second option:

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 9:32 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2) Make a filter on all the common ancestor's descendants (with spouses),
> export that into a new tree, trim out the unneeded people and then run a
> Relationships graph.

That graph, when appropriately trimmed for my needs, is especially
helpful -- illustrates exactly what I need in a simple manner.

Many thanks,

Peter

Re: How to best print a chart showing a relationship?

Peter Hewett-2

------------------------
From: Peter (Chamdo4ever) <[hidden email]>
<snip>

> Now, in an effort to convince some people who don't know of my
> existence to provide a DNA sample, I'd to send them a chart
> illustrating my relationship to them. Their Great-Great Grandfather is
> my Great-Great-Great-Grandfather -- we are third cousins, once
> removed.
>
> For them to receive a big family tree from a stranger with lots of
> data I think would be overwhelming, especially to a non-genealogist.
>
> But a simple one page chart or graph showing our relationship and
> common ancestor might help break the ice.

For this sort of thing, I make a chart this way;
1. create filter with rule using relationship path between two persons,
(selecting myself and the other person as the two persons)
2. Make a relationship graph using this filter.

This graph has ID numbers instead of names for spouses. This can be
fixed with a second filter with two rules;
a. all persons in the first filter
b. spouses of persons in the first filter
Set the filter to at least one rule applies.
Then make the chart using this second filter.

Sometimes in a complicated situation, it doesn't find the path, in which
case I do the relationship path in a couple of steps for the first filter.

HTH

Peter

Re: How to best print a chart showing a relationship?

MJBMZ
Hi Peter,

i'm using Familylines for this things.

1. Select the Persons of Interest (you and the them)
2. Select "Follow Parents..."
3. You can cut unwanted parts of the Tree when you temporary set e.g. your wife or mother as non public

Matthias