How to create a family tree as a subset of a larger tree?

How to create a family tree as a subset of a larger tree?

Erik P. Olsen
One of my wife's relatives is interested in receiving a part of my family tree. She
doesn't want to receive my part of the family tree but I don't see how I can create a new
family tree with just the branches she wants. Is that at all possible?

Erik P. Olsen, M.Sc. EE
Solsortvej 30
DK-2000 Frederiksberg
Denmark

Re: How to create a family tree as a subset of a larger tree?

Kaj Mikkelsen
Export

Chose the active person that you want to export.
Chose filter for person: only decendants or forfathers

Import the file as a new tree

/Kaj

On 05/30/2018 09:19 AM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:

> One of my wife's relatives is interested in receiving a part of my family tree. She
> doesn't want to receive my part of the family tree but I don't see how I can create a new
> family tree with just the branches she wants. Is that at all possible?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Erik P. Olsen, M.Sc. EE
> Solsortvej 30
> DK-2000 Frederiksberg
> Denmark

Re: How to create a family tree as a subset of a larger tree?

Hi Erik

You need to create a two part Person filter.

Filter one selects the ancestors of a person.
Ancestral Filters >> Ancestors of <person>

The second filter then brings those lines forward.
Descendant Filters >> Descendants of <filter> match

That is the basic setup and of course you may want to use one of the
person's kids as the base person for the ancestor search so that her
husband's family is included.

I keep these filters in my list of filters so all I have to do is put
the relative in filter one and then filter on filter two.

HTH Dave

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 3:19 AM, Erik P. Olsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of my wife's relatives is interested in receiving a part of my family tree. She
> doesn't want to receive my part of the family tree but I don't see how I can create a new
> family tree with just the branches she wants. Is that at all possible?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Erik P. Olsen, M.Sc. EE
> Solsortvej 30
> DK-2000 Frederiksberg
> Denmark

Re: How to create a family tree as a subset of a larger tree?

I've bee struggling with this as well.

Filtering to the ancestors & descendants of the interested person (like an Hourglass chart) is a good start.

But my expectation is that their desire is in discovering unknown but living family. Then exploring their common heritage. So they would want a certain number of cousins too.

So, for first cousins, that would mean adding filters to include the descendants of the 4 biological grandparents and their spouses. (Including spouses of those grandparents would find the blended-family step-1st-cousins) of course, the ancestor filter (and spouses) for the interested person is the only Ancestor filter needed... The ancestors of their ancestors are just subsets of it.

The number of filters would double for each additional level of cousins. And be complicated by the ragged line where the known pedigree stops. (Say I want to go back to include 4th cousins... which means descendants of 32 great-great-great-grandparents & spouses. While I may not know the maternal great-grandparents, I know 5 of their 10 children, I'd like to include them as great uncles and aunts plus their spouses & offspring. Now the cousins filter has to be intelligent enough ignore the missing portion and default down to finding 2nd cousins in that line. )

 Subject: [Gramps-users] How to create a family tree as a subset of a larger tree?
 To: [hidden email]

On 05/30/2018 09:31 AM, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
[...]

One solution is to (in a copy of your tree), find a "strategic person" and decouple him/her from the rest of that tree.  Then (using filters) delete the people you don't want.

Deleting unattached people, and other unused objects also eliminates unneeded "stuff".

Op 30-05-18 om 09:19 schreef Erik P. Olsen:
> One of my wife's relatives is interested in receiving a part of my family tree. She
> doesn't want to receive my part of the family tree but I don't see how I can create a new
> family tree with just the branches she wants. Is that at all possible?
Well, you got a few answers already, but the easiest may be to export
all persons that share an ancestor with her.

Re: How to create a family tree as a subset of a larger tree?

The two stage filter option I suggested goes back to all known sets of
grandparents. There is another ancestor filter option that allows
limiting grandparents back to the generations set in the filter.
Combining that with all known descendants, brings forward 2nd, 3rd...
cousins.

I do normally add two additional filters. It duplicates a lot of
records so I do not always share it with others.

Filter one is to find all ancestors for the selected person. } mentioned above
Filter two is to find all descendants of filter one.               }
Filter three finds all spouses of filter two.
Filter four finds the parents, siblings, spouses and children of
filter three and combines it with filter two for the set of people I
am looking for.

Selecting for the spouses and then their immediate family members adds
all the in-laws any step-children to the actual family filter. The
last two filters are inelegant and as I said duplicative because it
"re-selects" actual relatives not just the in-law families but I could
not find a filter for just in-law spouses. Of course this will depend
on what is known about the in-law family and is most often very spotty
on knowing anything about the brother- and sister-in-laws.

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've bee struggling with this as well.
>
> Filtering to the ancestors & descendants of the interested person (like an Hourglass chart) is a good start.
>
> But my expectation is that their desire is in discovering unknown but living family. Then exploring their common heritage. So they would want a certain number of cousins too.
>
> So, for first cousins, that would mean adding filters to include the descendants of the 4 biological grandparents and their spouses. (Including spouses of those grandparents would find the blended-family step-1st-cousins) of course, the ancestor filter (and spouses) for the interested person is the only Ancestor filter needed... The ancestors of their ancestors are just subsets of it.
>
> The number of filters would double for each additional level of cousins. And be complicated by the ragged line where the known pedigree stops. (Say I want to go back to include 4th cousins... which means descendants of 32 great-great-great-grandparents & spouses. While I may not know the maternal great-grandparents, I know 5 of their 10 children, I'd like to include them as great uncles and aunts plus their spouses & offspring. Now the cousins filter has to be intelligent enough ignore the missing portion and default down to finding 2nd cousins in that line. )

> On Wed, 5/30/18, Erik P. Olsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  Subject: [Gramps-users] How to create a family tree as a subset of a larger tree?
>  To: [hidden email]
>  Date: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 2:19 AM
>
>  One of my wife's relatives is interested in
>  receiving a part of my family tree. She
>  doesn't want to receive my part of the
>  family tree but I don't see how I can create a new
>  family tree with just the branches she
>  wants. Is that at all possible?
>
>  --
>  Regards,
>  Erik P. Olsen, M.Sc. EE
>  Solsortvej 30
>  DK-2000 Frederiksberg
>  Denmark

Re: How to create a family tree as a subset of a larger tree?

Peter Merchant
On 30/05/18 17:00, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> Op 30-05-18 om 09:19 schreef Erik P. Olsen:
>> One of my wife's relatives is interested in receiving a part of my
>> family tree. She
>> doesn't want to receive my part of the family tree but I don't see
>> how I can create a new
>> family tree with just the branches she wants. Is that at all possible?
> Well, you got a few answers already, but the easiest may be to export
> all persons that share an ancestor with her.
>
> Enno

In the documentation there is a section for "how do I?" Perhaps someone
would be kind enough to add this query as it come up quite often.
Thanks to whoever does it.

Peter M.

Re: How to create a family tree as a subset of a larger tree?

Doug-11
On 30/05/18 18:10, Peter Merchant wrote:

> On 30/05/18 17:00, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
>> Op 30-05-18 om 09:19 schreef Erik P. Olsen:
>>> One of my wife's relatives is interested in receiving a part of my
>>> family tree. She
>>> doesn't want to receive my part of the family tree but I don't see
>>> how I can create a new
>>> family tree with just the branches she wants. Is that at all possible?
>> Well, you got a few answers already, but the easiest may be to export
>> all persons that share an ancestor with her.
>>
>> Enno
>>

> In the documentation there is a section for "how do I?" Perhaps someone
> would be kind enough to add this query as it come up quite often.
> Thanks to whoever does it.
>
> Peter M.

In the gramps Wiki there's a section specifically dealing
with this sort of query.

Have a look at the section "Example filters"
(https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Example_filters)

In particular Example 7 (2-stage filters: Example 4.7) is
"All people related to me but not to my wife"

Doug

Re: How to create a family tree as a subset of a larger tree?

Peter Merchant
In the documentation there is a section for "how do I?" Perhaps someone

>> would be kind enough to add this query as it come up quite often.
>> Thanks to whoever does it.
>>
>> Peter M.
>>

> In the gramps Wiki there's a section specifically dealing with this
> sort of query.
>
> Have a look at  the section "Example filters"
> (https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Example_filters)
>
> In particular Example 7 (2-stage filters: Example 4.7) is "All people
> related to me but not to my wife"
>
> Doug

As with everything, it's just a matter of knowing where to look. I
didn't and neither did the original questioner.
PM

On 2018-05-30 at 21:11:55 Doug wrote:

> On 30/05/18 18:10, Peter Merchant wrote:
> >> Well, you got a few answers already, but the easiest may be to export
> >> all persons that share an ancestor with her.
> >>
> >> Enno
> >>

> > In the documentation there is a section for "how do I?" Perhaps someone
> > would be kind enough to add this query as it come up quite often.
> > Thanks to whoever does it.
> >
> > Peter M.
>
> In the gramps Wiki there's a section specifically dealing
> with this sort of query.
>
> Have a look at the section "Example filters"
> (https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Example_filters)
>

> In particular Example 7 (2-stage filters: Example 4.7) is
> "All people related to me but not to my wife"

Thanks a lot. That seems to be the way to go but how do I "THEN <Run Filter B> in Person
View" as mentioned in example 7?

Erik P. Olsen

Re: How to create a family tree as a subset of a larger tree?

Dave Scheipers
In all the sidebar filters (in all views), there is a drop down list
of Custom Filters that you can select from and then run; "Find". But
setting the filter there will only filter the database for your own
use within gramps. It is a way to see if the filter (any filter)
actually does what you want.

But if you are sending something to your wife's cousin, you will
either "Export" and in the Export Options, select the Person Filter.
Also set the Reference filter to "Do Not Include records not linked to
a selected person". This limits it to just the relevant events and
places for the people in the filter, otherwise all places, citations
etc will be exported not just the ones they will actually need.

If you are sending them a printed report (or a PDF etc) then as part
of the report option there will an option to set the filter.

I hope this helps. Dave

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 12:51 AM, Erik P. Olsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-05-30 at 21:11:55 Doug wrote:

>> > In the documentation there is a section for "how do I?" Perhaps someone
>> > would be kind enough to add this query as it come up quite often.
>> > Thanks to whoever does it.
>> >
>> > Peter M.
>>
>> In the gramps Wiki there's a section specifically dealing
>> with this sort of query.
>>
>> Have a look at the section "Example filters"
>> (https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Example_filters)
>>

>> In particular Example 7 (2-stage filters: Example 4.7) is
>> "All people related to me but not to my wife"
>
> Thanks a lot. That seems to be the way to go but how do I "THEN <Run Filter B> in Person
> View" as mentioned in example 7?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Erik P. Olsen

Re: How to create a family tree as a subset of a larger tree?

Erik P. Olsen
Thanks, yes it does help. So run is find, should have known that :-)

Erik P. Olsen