How to display a stub marriage without adding any children.

How to display a stub marriage without adding any children.

John W. Kitz-3
Hi,

Is there a way to make Gramps display a stub marriage in Pedigree view,
without having to add any children to the marriage (assuming there are any
and at least one of those can be found)?

Regards, Jk.

Re: How to display a stub marriage without adding any children.

Ron Johnson
On 06/11/2017 06:21 AM, John W. Kitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to make Gramps display a stub marriage in Pedigree view,
> without having to add any children to the marriage (assuming there are any
> and at least one of those can be found)?

Out of curiosity, what's a stub marriage?  (Google wasn't helpful.)

Re: How to display a stub marriage without adding any children.

John W. Kitz-3
Ron,

On 2017-06-11 13:49, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 06/11/2017 06:21 AM, John W. Kitz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a way to make Gramps display a stub marriage in Pedigree
>> view,
>> without having to add any children to the marriage (assuming there are
>> any
>> and at least one of those can be found)?
>
> Out of curiosity, what's a stub marriage?  (Google wasn't helpful.)

It's not some formal definition, but with a stub marriage I intended to
refer to a marriage that is the last in a branch of a particular family
name, since it either has only produced girls who may have continued
(part of) the gene line, but have not continued the paternal name line,
or hasn't resulted in any children at all.

Regards, Jk.

Re: How to display a stub marriage without adding any children.

Dave Scheipers
Hi John,

I have heard the term that a family name "daughters out", that there are no more males to carryon the family name.

I could find no way to create a filter to do this.  You can set the descendant line, but I could not see a way to select families within the line that contained only daughters or a family where none of the next generation share the "Family" name.

If this information is really important you could make a feature request to see if one of the developers can figure out how to this. It's beyond my scope of understanding.

Dave

Ron,

Re: How to display a stub marriage without adding any children.

John W. Kitz-3
Dave,

On 2017-06-12 01:23, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I have heard the term that a family name "daughters out", that there
> are no more males to carryon the family name.

The reason I used the term stub is because families where one partner
has a last name that marries into the family I'm collecting data about
for the first time also forms a (reverse) stub of sorts, since I
typically don't 'look' beyond the family that connects 'them' to 'us'.

The situation in which a family 'daughters out', as you call it, is
similar in that there may be a problem displaying it, unless they have
at least one male child. That is unless I'm doing something wrong or
there is some option I forgot to set.

> I could find no way to create a filter to do this.  You can set the
> descendant line, but I could not see a way to select families within
> the line that contained only daughters or a family where none of the
> next generation share the "Family" name.

I noticed it earlier today, I believe for the time being I worked around
it by adding one child to make Gramps display the parents in Pedigree
view. Something which I normally wouldn't have done given the above.

> If this information is really important you could make a feature
> request to see if one of the developers can figure out how to this.
> It's beyond my scope of understanding.

Well it a bit silly not seeing this last 'stub' parents if one doesn't
enter at least one of their male children, or some (figuratively
speaking) dummy (no pun intended) child, if they had none.

On 06/11/2017 07:00 PM, John W. Kitz wrote:

> Dave,
>
> On 2017-06-12 01:23, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> I have heard the term that a family name "daughters out", that there
>> are no more males to carryon the family name.
>
> The reason I used the term stub is because families where one partner has
> a last name that marries into the family I'm collecting data about for the
> first time also forms a (reverse) stub of sorts, since I typically don't
> 'look' beyond the family that connects 'them' to 'us'.
>
> The situation in which a family 'daughters out', as you call it, is
> similar in that there may be a problem displaying it, unless they have at
> least one male child. That is unless I'm doing something wrong or there is
> some option I forgot to set.
>
>> I could find no way to create a filter to do this.  You can set the
>> descendant line, but I could not see a way to select families within
>> the line that contained only daughters or a family where none of the
>> next generation share the "Family" name.
>
> I noticed it earlier today, I believe for the time being I worked around
> it by adding one child to make Gramps display the parents in Pedigree
> view. Something which I normally wouldn't have done given the above.
>
>> If this information is really important you could make a feature
>> request to see if one of the developers can figure out how to this.
>> It's beyond my scope of understanding.
>
> Well it a bit silly not seeing this last 'stub' parents if one doesn't
> enter at least one of their male children, or some (figuratively speaking)
> dummy (no pun intended) child, if they had none.

Are you referring to the Pedigree mode within the Charts view?

On 2017-06-12 02:10, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Are you referring to the Pedigree mode within the Charts view?

Yes, I believe that's what I mentioned in (one of) my initial email(s)
in this thread.

On 06/11/2017 07:31 PM, John W. Kitz wrote:
> Ron,
>
> On 2017-06-12 02:10, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>> Are you referring to the Pedigree mode within the Charts view?
>
> Yes, I believe that's what I mentioned in (one of) my initial email(s) in
> this thread.

I went to a person of mine who I know was married but had no children, and
have become confused by your original question, since Pedigree view shows
*ancestors*, not descendants.

Op 12-06-17 om 02:00 schreef John W. Kitz:

>> I could find no way to create a filter to do this.  You can set the
>> descendant line, but I could not see a way to select families within
>> the line that contained only daughters or a family where none of the
>> next generation share the "Family" name.
>
> I noticed it earlier today, I believe for the time being I worked
> around it by adding one child to make Gramps display the parents in
> Pedigree view. Something which I normally wouldn't have done given the
> above.
>
>> If this information is really important you could make a feature
>> request to see if one of the developers can figure out how to this.
>> It's beyond my scope of understanding.
>
> Well it a bit silly not seeing this last 'stub' parents if one doesn't
> enter at least one of their male children, or some (figuratively
> speaking) dummy (no pun intended) child, if they had none.
That's why you really need to file a feature request if you want some
change. The current pedigree view is quite simple, and I hardly ever use
it myself. I do most of my editing in the relationship view instead.

I understand the idea of seeing a spouse in a graph, and many web based
trees have such a thing, but it's not in Gramps now, so if you want it,
you need to find someone that likes to build it, or build it yourself. :-)

cheers,

Re: How to display a stub marriage without adding any children.

John W. Kitz-3
Enno,

On 2017-06-12 13:06, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

>> Well it a bit silly not seeing this last 'stub' parents if one doesn't
>> enter at least one of their male children, or some (figuratively
>> speaking) dummy (no pun intended) child, if they had none.
> That's why you really need to file a feature request if you want some
> change. The current pedigree view is quite simple, and I hardly ever
> use it myself. I do most of my editing in the relationship view
> instead.
>
> I understand the idea of seeing a spouse in a graph, and many web
> based trees have such a thing, but it's not in Gramps now, so if you
> want it, you need to find someone that likes to build it, or build it
> yourself. :-)
>
> cheers,
>
> Enno

It's not a hot 'ticket item' for me at this time, since while I
occasionally do use the Pedigree view to find the right individual to
edit, in general I don't. That said following your and other's
suggestion to raise a change request in future, I may very well do so.

For the time being thanks for the various replies, which at least
confirmed that it wasn't caused by an operator error.

Regards, Jk.