Quantcast

How to enter Cemetary info

Edward Campbell
When I want to enter the Cemetary info for a person how do I include
the name, city or town, state into the database?  I only see a way  to
add Longitude and Lattitude which of course I don't know.

Re: How to enter Cemetary info

Rich Lakey
I use a places entry for the cemetery. If I know no more than the name of the cemetery I just have a place entry for the cemetery. All people buried there are at the same place.
USA, Kansas, Kingman, Waterloo, Lebanon Cemetery with Long and lat for cemetery entrance.

a few cemeteries have more detail, these I have a place for each grave.
USA, Illinois, Adams, Quincy, Greenmount Cemetery, Block G, Lot 011, Section SW, Grave S, Walter H Bentrop with long and lat for the grave.
Rich

On 01/25/2017 10:40 AM, Edward Campbell wrote:
When I want to enter the Cemetary info for a person how do I include
the name, city or town, state into the database?  I only see a way  to
add Longitude and Lattitude which of course I don't know.

Have you backed up your files today?

Re: How to enter Cemetary info

Philip Weiss
Assuming you are using Gramps 4.2.*

Go to the places view.  Find the city, town, or county in which the cemetery is located.  Click (don't double-click) on it.  Look at the top of the view for the + sign to add a place.  Click that.  Enter the cemetery name and lat/long if you have it.  Notice that on the "Enclosed By" tab should be listed an entry for town.

There's other ways to do the same thing and different ways to do addresses (they can be their own place, for instance, or a street address place enclosed by a street place), but this is the easiest to get started.

Phil.

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 8:40 AM, Edward Campbell <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I want to enter the Cemetary info for a person how do I include
the name, city or town, state into the database?  I only see a way  to
add Longitude and Lattitude which of course I don't know.

Re: How to enter Cemetary info

On 01/25/2017 10:40 AM, Edward Campbell wrote:
> When I want to enter the Cemetary info for a person how do I include
> the name, city or town, state into the database?  I only see a way  to
> add Longitude and Lattitude which of course I don't know.

I created a custom Place Type named "Cemetery".  Then when recording burial,
the Place is of type Cemetery, enclosed by town/county.

Is that what you're asking?

Re: How to enter Cemetary info

Phylis Sophical
I think Edward is having the same problem I am. In my  older version, 'Places'  screen had a 'Location' tab which allowed you to enter Street, City, County, Parish State and Country, etc.

Now all we see is a window where you input the name and Long/Lat, that's it. Then an 'Enclosed by' Option. How exactly is this used? Since upgrading, my places are totally messed up and I'd like to know the proper way to do 'Places' before I try to fix anything.

Philip, your post gave a fairly good explanation, but does this mean, rather than entering the Cemetery in 'Event: Death' > Place: selection, one should start out in the Places on the dashboard, and start by entering the Country as 'Name', then use 'Enclosed by' to enter State, City, Cemetery name, etc.
Since upgrading, I've ended up with 12 listings for the USA in the Places list.

Ron: How do you make a 'custom Place Type'? I don't see cemetery under 'Type'

Not complaining. The new hierarchy looks very useful but we need a walkthrough on how to do this. If there is another thread that shows this, could someone please link to it.
Gramps AIO64-4.2.5-1
Windows 10

Re: How to enter Cemetary info

On 01/25/2017 05:24 PM, Phylis Sophical wrote:
[snip]
> Ron: How do you make a 'custom Place Type'? I don't see cemetery under
> 'Type'

In the drop down Type list, you just type in your own "type".  (Same with
all the different "types".  Unintuitive, but useful.)

Re: How to enter Cemetary info

Hi Edward and Phyllis,

In theory, each component of any place is in the database once.

So simply the smallest (or last) place would be the Cemetery

Place: Cemetery' Name Type: Cemetery (you can create this, I did)
and this is enclosed by a City/Town
and the City/Town is enclosed by a County
and the County is enclosed by the State
and the State is enclosed by U.S.A.

You create each of these components and each has a unique Lat,Log, postal code, etc, I try to add the location's Wikipedia page and for cemeteries their FindAGrave.com URL under the Internet tab.

In the global preferences, there is Places tab. With the generate automatic title checked, gramps will automatically create the place's Title:

Cemetery, City, County, State, U.S.A.

There are also types for Street, and Number
Main Street, enclosed by its City
and the Number enclosed by the street name
Place: 125 Type: Number enclosed by Main Street.

In the Preferences, there a check box so the comma will NOT be added after the Number like it is added all other components.

If the Cemetery has an actual street address, you can enclose the Cemetery by the Number place.

Cemetery, 125 Main Street, City, County, State, U.S.A.

The same process is used to create and manage all places. Each place is enclosed by the entity above it until you get to the most basic unit, the Country.

I hope this helps.

There is also a functionality to have place locations automatically change through time based upon the date of the event. That is another discussion and I'll leave it to others.

Dave

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 6:24 PM, Phylis Sophical <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Gary Griffin
Find a Grave is one way to get cemetery details in the US. It does include Lat/Lon for most cemeteries.

The Place Completion addon also does a great job (for me) to add Lat/Lon to existing cities and cemeteries. Cemeteries are listed in the US States GeoNames, which this addon can use.

Personally, I add the event and then add Cemetery in 'Event: Death' > Place:. I add at the detailed level (cemetery) and then use Enclosed-By for the city/county/state/country. So if I have 2 cemeteries in the same city, I add the first with the full enclosed-by hierarchy and when I add the second cemetery I enclose in the existing city. It automatically gets the full enclosed-by structure. Thus results in 6 Places total being added assuming you have no existing places (2 cemeteries, 1 city, 1 county, 1 state, 1 country).

You might want to look at Places_in_Gramps wiki page for more explanation on Places in 4.2.*

Re: How to enter Cemetary info

Phylis Sophical
Well that was easy thanks to you people.
Now to clean up the mess in my Places. As mentioned, when I updated from v3.0 to v 4.2.5 it created (for instance) for the USA, 7 different entries each containing different references, etc. So is it best to start by merging all the USA's or start with the cemetary / towns first. Or do I have to go through each 'USA' and repair them individually?
Gramps AIO64-4.2.5-1
Windows 10

Re: How to enter Cemetary info

Dave Hamilton
>From my experience importing from Legacy you will need to merge all
instances but beware that the merge process seems to leave an entry in the
'Alternate Names' tab that you will have to deal with.

Re: How to enter Cemetary info

A little bit different, as I am not certain that it is a common use into our data.
I use a custom place type on my databases: "Cemetery".

Just a new place hierarchy level, maybe like "hospital" or "school".

 Objet: Re: [Gramps-users] How to enter Cemetary info
 À: [hidden email]
 Date: Mercredi 25 janvier 2017, 17h51

 -----La pièce jointe associée suit-----

Re: How to enter Cemetary info

Gary Griffin
Let me break this in to 2 parts: Migration and New Data. You can do this however you want but

Migration: Personally, I started at the Country level and merged entries (removing any Alternate Names that were not needed). Then I went to States - merged and enclosed in Country. This made the Title and Descriptions clean during the process so I knew which were done and which were still to be done. Repeat for each level. So Cemeteries were last to be merged.

This also exposed one common problem I had in my initial data - I used the same name (like Saint Pauls) for Church and Cemetery so I had Marriage events and Burial events using the same Place by default when I migrated. I had to fix all of these errors, by creating both Places (Saint Pauls Church and Saint Pauls Cemetery) and updating as appropriate. Since the GeoNames db uses Church and Cemetery in the titles and I wanted to extract Lat/Lon (using Place Completion addon) from there, I wanted to have the names match exactly.

New Data: Personally I enter the fine granularity data, like cemetery (typically at the Event) and then enclose it, adding as needed.

Re: How to enter Cemetary info

Edward Campbell
Phylis,

You are correct, and much better at stating the problem I having.  I
had done much work on a previous version and had to put thing aside for
a while and now that I've found time to work on it some more I was
seeing things now as I remembered them.  Wasn't sure if it was my
memory or changes.

On Wed, 2017-01-25 at 15:24 -0800, Phylis Sophical wrote:

> I think Edward is having the same problem I am. In my  older version,
> 'Places'  screen had a 'Location' tab which allowed you to enter
> Street,
> City, County, Parish State and Country, etc.
>
> Now all we see is a window where you input the name and Long/Lat,
> that's it.
> Then an 'Enclosed by' Option. How exactly is this used? Since
> upgrading, my
> places are totally messed up and I'd like to know the proper way to
> do
> 'Places' before I try to fix anything.
>
> Philip, your post gave a fairly good explanation, but does this mean,
> rather
> than entering the Cemetery in 'Event: Death' > Place: selection, one
> should
> start out in the Places on the dashboard, and start by entering the
> Country
> as 'Name', then use 'Enclosed by' to enter State, City, Cemetery
> name, etc.
> Since upgrading, I've ended up with 12 listings for the USA in the
> Places
> list.
>
> Ron: How do you make a 'custom Place Type'? I don't see cemetery
> under
> 'Type'
>
> Not complaining. The new hierarchy looks very useful but we need a
> walkthrough on how to do this. If there is another thread that shows
> this,
> could someone please link to it.

Re: How to enter Cemetary info

Edward Campbell
Thanks to all who have responded.  I have spent the last few hours
straightening out my places database.  The help give was what I needed.

Edward

On Wed, 2017-01-25 at 10:57 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 01/25/2017 10:40 AM, Edward Campbell wrote:
> >
> > When I want to enter the Cemetary info for a person how do I
> > include
> > the name, city or town, state into the database?  I only see a
> > way  to
> > add Longitude and Lattitude which of course I don't know.
>
> I created a custom Place Type named "Cemetery".  Then when recording
> burial,
> the Place is of type Cemetery, enclosed by town/county.
>
> Is that what you're asking?

Re: How to enter Cemetary info

Phylis Sophical
Gary Griffin wrote
So if I have 2 cemeteries in the same city, I add the first with the full enclosed-by hierarchy and when I add the second cemetery I enclose in the existing city. It automatically gets the full enclosed-by structure.
This is a great time saver when entering new data. I tried it when trying to clean up the mess I had after migrating from 3.0 (via FTM originally) Many times I ended up with a double hierarchy. I've realized when you open a place, it doesn't show the duplicates. So for anyone else having this problem, here's my solution in baby steps:

From Dashboard on the left, click 'PLaces'
Click the Name to open it.
Click the tab called 'Enclosed By'
Highlight the duplicate place > click the 'Remove' icon (looks like a minus sign).
Note, it probably only shows one instance, but remove it anyway.
Close the Place > Click off that Place, then back on it. Duplicate hierarchy should be gone.
Note: When you first click 'OK', you will not see the whole hierarchy. So click on another place, then click back on the one you are editing.
When finished, if there is nothing in 'Enclosed By', just re-enter the town > Ok. Again, might have to click on another place, then back on your edited one.

Gramps AIO64-4.2.5-1
Windows 10