How to exclude people from a filter?

Harvey Nimmo
Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction here!

I want to export all people in my tree on my mother's side but exclude all her direct descendents.

Filter A: her ancestors filtered on her ID (excluding her own ID)
Filter B: all descendents from Filter A (exactly one rule applies)

Running Filter B gives 208 people (from 1752), as expected

Filter C: all descendents from Filter B (exactly one rule applies), check-box for rules not matching filter ticked

Filter C returns everyone in the whole tree (father's side included) only excluding their descendents and spouses, i.e. 1544 people.

It seems not to matter whether the all rules, at least one, or exactly one is selected in Filter C, same result

What should I do to get the result I want?

Cheers
Harvey

Re: How to exclude people from a filter?

Dave Scheipers
Hi Harvey

Filter C should be the descendants of your mother, not of Filter B
with the check box for not matching selected.

But then you need a Filter D looking for those people that are in both
Filter B and Filter C selecting for all rules apply.  This finds only
those people that are in both Filters B and C.

You can do away with Filter B because in your last filter you can find
them and compare them to those found in Filter C selecting for all
rules apply

HTH Dave

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 5:42 AM Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction here!
>
> I want to export all people in my tree on my mother's side but exclude all her direct descendents.
>
> Filter A: her ancestors filtered on her ID (excluding her own ID)
> Filter B: all descendents from Filter A (exactly one rule applies)
>
> Running Filter B gives 208 people (from 1752), as expected
>
> Filter C: all descendents from Filter B (exactly one rule applies), check-box for rules not matching filter ticked
>
> Filter C returns everyone in the whole tree (father's side included) only excluding their descendents and spouses, i.e. 1544 people.
>
> It seems not to matter whether the all rules, at least one, or exactly one is selected in Filter C, same result
>
> What should I do to get the result I want?
>
> Cheers
> Harvey

Re: How to exclude people from a filter?

Harvey Nimmo
Hi Dave,

thanks for your help. I am a bit confused because you write that D
should contain B & C but that I no longer need B. Perhaps you could
clarify that?

By the way, For Filters A & B, I followed the scheme in the Handbook
Wiki, thinking that I had understood it.
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Example_filters#Example_7._Al
l_people_related_to_me_but_not_my_wife

Cheers
Harvey

On Tue, 2020-01-21 at 07:29 -0500, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Hi Harvey
>
> Filter C should be the descendants of your mother, not of Filter B
> with the check box for not matching selected.
>
> But then you need a Filter D looking for those people that are in
> both
> Filter B and Filter C selecting for all rules apply.  This finds only
> those people that are in both Filters B and C.
>
> You can do away with Filter B because in your last filter you can
> find
> them and compare them to those found in Filter C selecting for all
> rules apply
>
> HTH Dave
>
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 5:42 AM Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction here!
> >
> > I want to export all people in my tree on my mother's side but
> > exclude all her direct descendents.
> >
> > Filter A: her ancestors filtered on her ID (excluding her own ID)
> > Filter B: all descendents from Filter A (exactly one rule applies)
> >
> > Running Filter B gives 208 people (from 1752), as expected
> >
> > Filter C: all descendents from Filter B (exactly one rule applies),
> > check-box for rules not matching filter ticked
> >
> > Filter C returns everyone in the whole tree (father's side
> > included) only excluding their descendents and spouses, i.e. 1544
> > people.
> >
> > It seems not to matter whether the all rules, at least one, or
> > exactly one is selected in Filter C, same result
> >
> > What should I do to get the result I want?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Harvey

Re: How to exclude people from a filter?

Dave Scheipers
You can have a Filter B. But because it is running only one rule, it
can be run as part of the last filter, the one you run. Instead of
Filter D taking the results of Filter B, Filter D is processing the
rule that you would have in Filter B

Filter A: her ancestors filtered on her ID (excluding her own ID)
Filter C: descendants of your mother, with the check box for not
matching selected. (Everyone except your mother's descendants).
Filter D: all descendants from Filter A   AND  all the people matching
Filter C.  All rules must apply. (Finding only the people that will be
in both rules.)

-----

I too have the same Filters A & B that you have. They are a handy
combination. All you need to do is change the base person for Filter A
for a new set of results.  But by moving the rule from B to D, you
remove a duplication of efforts.

To keep everything straight in your thought process, you can have Filter D be...

Filter D: all the people matching Filter B  AND  all the people

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 8:36 AM Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> thanks for your help. I am a bit confused because you write that D
> should contain B & C but that I no longer need B. Perhaps you could
> clarify that?
>
> By the way, For Filters A & B, I followed the scheme in the Handbook
> Wiki, thinking that I had understood it.
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Example_filters#Example_7._Al
> l_people_related_to_me_but_not_my_wife
>
> Cheers
> Harvey
>
> On Tue, 2020-01-21 at 07:29 -0500, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> > Hi Harvey
> >
> > Filter C should be the descendants of your mother, not of Filter B
> > with the check box for not matching selected.
> >
> > But then you need a Filter D looking for those people that are in
> > both
> > Filter B and Filter C selecting for all rules apply.  This finds only
> > those people that are in both Filters B and C.
> >
> > You can do away with Filter B because in your last filter you can
> > find
> > them and compare them to those found in Filter C selecting for all
> > rules apply
> >
> > HTH Dave
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 5:42 AM Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction here!
> > >
> > > I want to export all people in my tree on my mother's side but
> > > exclude all her direct descendents.
> > >
> > > Filter A: her ancestors filtered on her ID (excluding her own ID)
> > > Filter B: all descendents from Filter A (exactly one rule applies)
> > >
> > > Running Filter B gives 208 people (from 1752), as expected
> > >
> > > Filter C: all descendents from Filter B (exactly one rule applies),
> > > check-box for rules not matching filter ticked
> > >
> > > Filter C returns everyone in the whole tree (father's side
> > > included) only excluding their descendents and spouses, i.e. 1544
> > > people.
> > >
> > > It seems not to matter whether the all rules, at least one, or
> > > exactly one is selected in Filter C, same result
> > >
> > > What should I do to get the result I want?
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Harvey

Re: How to exclude people from a filter?

Harvey Nimmo
Got it. Great! Many thanks.

Cheers
HArvey