How to exclude ?

Caron Maxime
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this questions have already been asked... I didn't manage to found those answers...

Let's say Mr A got an ancestor B at the 12th generation.
B got a lot of ancestors.
Same thing for C which is an ancestor of A but not directly related to B.
And C got a lot of ancestors too.

How could I get a relationship graph of A excluding B branch ?
Excluding both B and C branches ?
Or clamp the graph to 12 generations above and 3 under A ?

Cheers,
Max

Re: How to exclude ?

Ron Johnson
On 03/22/2016 03:20 AM, Caron Maxime wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this questions have already been asked... I didn't manage to found those answers...

Let's say Mr A got an ancestor B at the 12th generation.
B got a lot of ancestors.
Same thing for C which is an ancestor of A but not directly related to B.
And C got a lot of ancestors too.

How could I get a relationship graph of A excluding B branch ?
Excluding both B and C branches ?

Filters.

Or clamp the graph to 12 generations above and 3 under A ?

Don't know.

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: How to exclude ?

Douglas Bainbridge
On 22/03/16 13:01, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 03/22/2016 03:20 AM, Caron Maxime wrote:
Hi everyone,

<snip>

Filters.

Or clamp the graph to 12 generations above and 3 under A ?

<snip>

There are 2 ancestral filters:
Ancestors of <person> at least <N> generations away
Ancestors of <person> not more than <N> generations away

where you specify <person> and <N>

Try combining them: "at least" OR "more".

HTH

Doug

Re: How to exclude ?

Simon C. Tremblay

On 22 March 2016 at 09:01, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03/22/2016 03:20 AM, Caron Maxime wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this questions have already been asked... I didn't manage to found those answers...

Let's say Mr A got an ancestor B at the 12th generation.
B got a lot of ancestors.
Same thing for C which is an ancestor of A but not directly related to B.
And C got a lot of ancestors too.

How could I get a relationship graph of A excluding B branch ?
Excluding both B and C branches ?

Filters.

Or clamp the graph to 12 generations above and 3 under A ?

Don't know.

Hi Maxime, Ron,

Filters with multiple conditions will do it.
In the Individuals view create a filter with:
Ancestral filter, Ancestor of <person> not more than <N> generations away
Descendant filet; Descendant of <person> not more than <N> generations away

Simon

Re: How to exclude ?

Caron Maxime
Thank you for your answer Ron.

Yes, I understand I need to use filters.
But the filters allows easily define some target, but I don't understand clearly how to exclude something.

On the previous example :
"Let's say Mr A got an ancestor B at the 12th generation. B got a lot of ancestors. Same thing for C which is an ancestor of A but not directly related to B. And C got a lot of ancestors too."

If I create a filter 1 that matches B and all its ancerstors.
How could I exclude the filter 1 ? On a filter 2 ? How ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Max

Le Mardi 22 mars 2016 14h05, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On 03/22/2016 03:20 AM, Caron Maxime wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this questions have already been asked... I didn't manage to found those answers...

Let's say Mr A got an ancestor B at the 12th generation.
B got a lot of ancestors.
Same thing for C which is an ancestor of A but not directly related to B.
And C got a lot of ancestors too.

How could I get a relationship graph of A excluding B branch ?
Excluding both B and C branches ?

Filters.

Or clamp the graph to 12 generations above and 3 under A ?

Don't know.

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: How to exclude ?

Caron Maxime
Hi Simon,

Thank you for your answer.

But if I use filters like you said, I will only get the individuals that between A and B.
It won't match other individuals.
I would like to cut a specific branch at B. Not to constrain to only the path between A and B
Using Ancestral and Descendant filter together will do the same thing as a relationship filter, no ?

[...]

Maxime,

The filter I outlined would allow you to "clamp the graph to 12 generations above and 3 under A" by having the two conditions:

Ancestral filter, Ancestor of person A not more than 12 generations away
Descendant filet; Descendant of person A not more than 3 generations away

All Rules must apply

The filter system allows you only to specify an AND or an OR operator between all your conditions.  If you want to negate something, you will need to create several filters and combine them.

--------------------------------
Filter "Not ancestor of B"

- Ancestral Filter; Ancestor of <person B>

All Rules must apply
[X] Return values that do not match the filter rules option (MUST be checked)

--------------------------------
Filter "Not ancestor of C"

- Ancestral Filter; Ancestor of <person C>

All Rules must apply
[X] Return values that do not match the filter rules option (MUST be checked)

=======================
Now you can add these two negative filters as conditions to a filter that returns A's ancestors:

--------------------------------
Filter "Ancestors of A but not B"

- Ancestral Filter; Ancestor of <person A>
- General Filter: People matching the "Not ancestor of B"

All Rules must apply
[  ] Return values that do not match the filter rules option (NOT checked)

--------------------------------
Filter "Ancestors of A but not B or C"

- Ancestral Filter: Ancestor of <person A>
- General Filter: People matching the "Not ancestor of B"
- General Filter: People matching the "Not ancestor of C"

All Rules must apply
[  ] Return values that do not match the filter rules option (NOT checked)

=======================

Use sensible names for your filters as It can get cluttered in there.  Regular expressions might be better suited to construct elaborate filters, but I never tried them.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Re: How to exclude ?

Caron Maxime
Ok !!!
I missed the "Return values that do not match the filter rules option"...
My bad... Sorry ^^

Thank you very much Simon !

On 22/03/16 14:39, Caron Maxime wrote:
[...]

Can I suggest you have a look at https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Example_filters ?
The examples may give you more idea what you can do with filters.

HTH

Doug