How to handle a place overlapping multiple boundaries (enclosed by)?

How to handle a place overlapping multiple boundaries (enclosed by)?

Jeff
On this map you can see that Correctionville, Iowa is part of Union,
Rock, and Kedron townships:

     http://iagenweb.org/woodbury/History/county_woodbury_twps.jpg

I've got ancestors on U.S. Census pages that specify either:

* Iowa > Woodbury County > Union Township > Correctionville

* Iowa > Woodbury Count > Rock Township > Correctionville

So first I enclosed Correctionville in both Union and Rock, but if I add
an event to Correctionville/Rock, the title always shows
Correctionville/Union (since it was added there first).

What is the best way to handle this? For now I've added two entries for
Correctionville (one per township) but that doesn't seem right.

Thanks.

zed

Re: How to handle a place overlapping multiple boundaries (enclosed by)?

zed
Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On this map you can see that Correctionville, Iowa is part of Union,
> Rock, and Kedron townships:
>
>      http://iagenweb.org/woodbury/History/county_woodbury_twps.jpg
>

> I've got ancestors on U.S. Census pages that specify either:
>
> * Iowa > Woodbury County > Union Township > Correctionville
>
> * Iowa > Woodbury Count > Rock Township > Correctionville
>

> So first I enclosed Correctionville in both Union and Rock, but if I add
> an event to Correctionville/Rock, the title always shows
> Correctionville/Union (since it was added there first).
>
> What is the best way to handle this? For now I've added two entries for
> Correctionville (one per township) but that doesn't seem right.

You may find the following usesful.  I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Svav0tV1w

zed

--
zed
into it in the first place." Douglas Adams

Re: How to handle a place overlapping multiple boundaries (enclosed by)?

Dave Scheipers
Hi Jeff

The video is very good at describing how to set up a place that was in
one county and then another one in history. But not at the same time.

For me, I do not put the Township entity between Cities and the
County. Ask yourself, is the Township relevant to a person living in
Correctionville?

I use Wikipedia to get the information when adding a new community to
my database. I just looked, and no township information is included on
the page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correctionville,_Iowa

I did check the US Gazetteer which does list a township but only Union.

https://iowa.hometownlocator.com/ia/woodbury/correctionville.cfm

Looking at the map of Union Township, and it's shape (a perfect
square) should tell you the relevance of the township. I am sure that
the township may be important if that is all you know about the event.
In that case, I add the township to the database, but I do not put
them between the city and the county.

The more complex issue is when a City is in more than one County. In
these cases, I'll base the decision on land area. And of course the
document may have clues as which county to link. So far I have not run
into conflicts with my decisions.

Of course each state and county will have it's own database setup.
This is just how I do it. I live in New England and we do not have
townships. We barely have counties except in name only. And if a city
grew into another county by annexing a neighbor community, the county
line would change so the city would only exist in one. After all, a
county line is only a line on a map.

Don't know if this helps. Dave