Quantcast

How to imput UK address

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

How to imput UK address

Les-3
Hi All,
Would like to know how to properly input UK addresses/Residence.

Most of my tree lived in London.

If we have "1 Gramps Lane, Southwark, London, SE"

Southwark being a area of London, and SE being part Post Code. (South
East) (I would not use full post code as any mapping etc would be one
mass of pins)

First - Would you include the "SE" and if so would you use "initials or
full words".
Second - what comes next as I have seen it so many ways.

Is it "UK" "GB" "England" "England GB" ETC ETC.
Again would it be "initials or full words"
If we use "initials" and end up with, say ie "London SE,GB" how would
you separate the "SE" & "GB" to stop any confusion? And if you use all
full words the address is going to go on for miles LOL.

Thank you for any help you can give and the best to all,
Les


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by Sprint
What will you do first with EVO, the first 4G phone?
Visit sprint.com/first -- http://p.sf.net/sfu/sprint-com-first
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to imput UK address

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 07:06:06 +0100
Les <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Les,

> Is it "UK" "GB" "England" "England GB" ETC ETC.

I use England, Wales, Scotland.  GB & UK are political, not
geographical, locations.  But that's my preference.  UK will often be
understood, GB less commonly so.

> Again would it be "initials or full words"

Full words avoid the confusion that 'St. Gramps St.' inflicts on readers
that don't know what the shorthand means.  Mostly non UK residents, of
course.

FWIW, I don't include the SE, SW, NE etc. in London addresses anyway as
most of the London addresses that appear in my database have counties in
them (Middlesex, most often) as they predate London becoming a 'county'
in its own right.

Just think yourself lucky we haven't colonised the moon yet.   :-)

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
If a thought came in your head it would die of loneliness
I Don't Like You - Stiff Little Fingers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by Sprint
What will you do first with EVO, the first 4G phone?
Visit sprint.com/first -- http://p.sf.net/sfu/sprint-com-first
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users

signature.asc (501 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to imput UK address

Gerald Britton-2
In reply to this post by Les-3
I would put 1 Gramps Lane as the street address, "Southwark, London"
as the city, "Greater London" as the county (or Middlesex if the
address is really old), UK as the country and SE in the postal code.

But that's just one approach among many.  I think the key is to be
consistent, using the same structure for other countries and time
periods as well.

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:06 AM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
> Would like to know how to properly input UK addresses/Residence.
>
> Most of my tree lived in London.
>
> If we have "1 Gramps Lane, Southwark, London, SE"
>
> Southwark being a area of London, and SE being part Post Code. (South
> East) (I would not use full post code as any mapping etc would be one
> mass of pins)
>
> First - Would you include the "SE" and if so would you use "initials or
> full words".
> Second - what comes next as I have seen it so many ways.
>
> Is it "UK" "GB" "England" "England GB" ETC ETC.
> Again would it be "initials or full words"
> If we use "initials" and end up with, say ie "London SE,GB" how would
> you separate the "SE" & "GB" to stop any confusion? And if you use all
> full words the address is going to go on for miles LOL.
>
> Thank you for any help you can give and the best to all,
> Les
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by Sprint
> What will you do first with EVO, the first 4G phone?
> Visit sprint.com/first -- http://p.sf.net/sfu/sprint-com-first
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
>



--
Gerald Britton

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by Sprint
What will you do first with EVO, the first 4G phone?
Visit sprint.com/first -- http://p.sf.net/sfu/sprint-com-first
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to imput UK address

Steven Birnam-2
I understand using Southwark, London as the city, but given that cities are divided into suburbs or towns (on Long Island, New York, you have Nassau County; Town of Hempstead, Woddmere, as an example - when you address a letter, you use Woodmere, Nassau County, the entry for Town of Hempstead is optional, and in Toronto and Montreal, they have gone through mergers, and in Montreal - demerger, so rather than addressing to arrondissement Cote-Saint-Luc, Ville de Montreal, Quebec, we now have simply Ville de Cote-Saint-Luc, Quebec, while Cotes-des-Neiges is a suburb of Montreal (still) and is addressed as Cotes-des-Neiges, Montreal, Quebec -
So like Southwark, perhaps we need an additional field before city, labelled suburb or arrondissement.

Another way might be to enter Southwark as the city, and London as the Parish (perhaps we need to relabel - Parish / Municipality), or Woodmere as city and Town of Hempstead as Parish / Municipality.

StevenB

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Gerald Britton <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would put 1 Gramps Lane as the street address, "Southwark, London"
as the city, "Greater London" as the county (or Middlesex if the
address is really old), UK as the country and SE in the postal code.

But that's just one approach among many.  I think the key is to be
consistent, using the same structure for other countries and time
periods as well.

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:06 AM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
> Would like to know how to properly input UK addresses/Residence.
>
> Most of my tree lived in London.
>
> If we have "1 Gramps Lane, Southwark, London, SE"
>
> Southwark being a area of London, and SE being part Post Code. (South
> East) (I would not use full post code as any mapping etc would be one
> mass of pins)
>
> First - Would you include the "SE" and if so would you use "initials or
> full words".
> Second - what comes next as I have seen it so many ways.
>
> Is it "UK" "GB" "England" "England GB" ETC ETC.
> Again would it be "initials or full words"
> If we use "initials" and end up with, say ie "London SE,GB" how would
> you separate the "SE" & "GB" to stop any confusion? And if you use all
> full words the address is going to go on for miles LOL.
>
> Thank you for any help you can give and the best to all,
> Les
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by Sprint
> What will you do first with EVO, the first 4G phone?
> Visit sprint.com/first -- http://p.sf.net/sfu/sprint-com-first
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
>



--
Gerald Britton

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by Sprint
What will you do first with EVO, the first 4G phone?
Visit sprint.com/first -- http://p.sf.net/sfu/sprint-com-first
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by Sprint
What will you do first with EVO, the first 4G phone?
Visit sprint.com/first -- http://p.sf.net/sfu/sprint-com-first
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to imput UK address

Doug
I'm somewhat confused:
What do you mean by child?
I take Southwark to be one of a number of parishes within
London; so I suppose yes, I should regard Southwark as one
of the "children" of London.

I'm unfamiliar with the actual relationships of your US
example; but it looks counter-intuitive to me for a City to
be child of a Town and this to be child of a Parish.

However, I agree we're never going to get a perfectly
satisfactory categorisation that fits all cases.

Doug


On 09/07/10 17:39, Steven Birnam wrote:

> Wouldn that be counter to the hierarchy?
> If I listed London as City, Southwark would be a child of
> the relationship. As in the case of the city of Woodmere,
> Woodmere would be a child of Town of Hempstead, which could
> be entered in Parish - but not vice-versa.
>
> I guess we will always have these issues, and noÂ
> assortment of labels/tags, and hirearchical relationships
> will suffice the multiplicities of names and regions.
>
> StevenB
>
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:23 PM, doug <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Surely Southwark as Parish, London as City.
>
>     I assume the geographical/administrative level increases
>     Street=>Parish=>City=>County=>State=>Country
>
>     and try to fit non-US places into that hierarchy as best
>     I can, e,g.
>     strada=>paese=>citta or comune=>
>     comune=>provincia=>country (Italy)
>
>     For UK addresses I'm tending to use England, Scotland,
>     Wales as the State and UK as the Country but so far not
>     very consistently, laying up trouble for the future, I'm
>     afraid.
>
>
>     Doug
>
>
>
>
>
>     On 09/07/10 16:01, Steven Birnam wrote:
>
>         I understand using Southwark, London as the city,
>         but given
>         that cities are divided into suburbs or towns (on Long
>         Island, New York, you have Nassau County; Town of
>         Hempstead,
>         Woddmere, as an example - when you address a letter,
>         you use
>         Woodmere, Nassau County, the entry for Town of
>         Hempstead is
>         optional, and in Toronto and Montreal, they have gone
>         through mergers, and in Montreal - demerger, so
>         rather than
>         addressing to arrondissement Cote-Saint-Luc, Ville de
>         Montreal, Quebec, we now have simply Ville de
>         Cote-Saint-Luc, Quebec, while Cotes-des-Neiges is a
>         suburb
>         of Montreal (still) and is addressed as
>         Cotes-des-Neiges,
>         Montreal, Quebec -
>         So like Southwark, perhaps we need an additional field
>         before city, labelled suburb or arrondissement.
>
>         Another way might be to enter Southwark as the city, and
>         London as the Parish (perhaps we need to relabel -
>         Parish /
>         Municipality), or Woodmere as city and Town of
>         Hempstead as
>         Parish / Municipality.
>
>         StevenB
>
>         On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Gerald Britton
>         <[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         <mailto:[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>>
>
>         wrote:
>
>         Â  Â I would put 1 Gramps Lane as the street address,
>         Â  Â "Southwark, London"
>         Â  Â as the city, "Greater London" as the county (or
>         Â  Â Middlesex if the
>         Â  Â address is really old), UK as the country and
>         SE in the
>         Â  Â postal code.
>
>           Â But that's just one approach among many. Ä€ I
>         think the
>
>         Â  Â key is to be
>         Â  Â consistent, using the same structure for other
>         countries
>         Â  Â and time
>         Â  Â periods as well.
>
>         Â  Â On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:06 AM, Les
>         Â  Â <[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         Â  Â <mailto:[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>         Â  Â > Hi All,
>         Â  Â > Would like to know how to properly input UK
>         Â  Â addresses/Residence.
>         Â  Â >
>         Â  Â > Most of my tree lived in London.
>         Â  Â >
>         Â  Â > If we have "1 Gramps Lane, Southwark, London, SE"
>         Â  Â >
>         Â  Â > Southwark being a area of London, and SE
>         being part
>         Â  Â Post Code. (South
>         Â  Â > East) (I would not use full post code as any
>         mapping
>         Â  Â etc would be one
>         Â  Â > mass of pins)
>         Â  Â >
>         Â  Â > First - Would you include the "SE" and if so
>         would
>         Â  Â you use "initials or
>         Â  Â > full words".
>         Â  Â > Second - what comes next as I have seen it so
>         many ways.
>         Â  Â >
>         Â  Â > Is it "UK" "GB" "England" "England GB" ETC ETC.
>         Â  Â > Again would it be "initials or full words"
>         Â  Â > If we use "initials" and end up with, say ie
>         "London
>         Â  Â SE,GB" how would
>         Â  Â > you separate the "SE" & "GB" to stop any
>         confusion?
>         Â  Â And if you use all
>         Â  Â > full words the address is going to go on for
>         miles LOL.
>         Â  Â >
>         Â  Â > Thank you for any help you can give and the
>         best to all,
>         Â  Â > Les
>         Â  Â >
>         Â  Â >
>         Â  Â >
>         Â
>         Â ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>         Â  Â > This SF.net email is sponsored by Sprint
>         Â  Â > What will you do first with EVO, the first 4G
>         phone?
>         Â  Â > Visit sprint.com/first
>         <http://sprint.com/first> <http://sprint.com/first> --
>
>         Â  Â http://p.sf.net/sfu/sprint-com-first
>         Â  Â > _______________________________________________
>         Â  Â > Gramps-users mailing list
>         Â  Â > [hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         Â  Â <mailto:[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>         Â  Â >
>         https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
>         Â  Â >
>
>
>
>         Â  Â --
>         Â  Â Gerald Britton
>
>         Â
>         Â ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>         Â  Â This SF.net email is sponsored by Sprint
>         Â  Â What will you do first with EVO, the first 4G
>         phone?
>         Â  Â Visit sprint.com/first
>         <http://sprint.com/first> <http://sprint.com/first> --
>
>         Â  Â http://p.sf.net/sfu/sprint-com-first
>         Â  Â _______________________________________________
>         Â  Â Gramps-users mailing list
>         Â  Â [hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         Â  Â <mailto:[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>         Â  Â
>         https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
>
>
>
>
>         ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>         This SF.net email is sponsored by Sprint
>         What will you do first with EVO, the first 4G phone?
>         Visit sprint.com/first <http://sprint.com/first> --
>         http://p.sf.net/sfu/sprint-com-first
>
>
>
>         _______________________________________________
>         Gramps-users mailing list
>         [hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
>
>
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by Sprint
What will you do first with EVO, the first 4G phone?
Visit sprint.com/first -- http://p.sf.net/sfu/sprint-com-first
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to imput UK address

Tim Lyons
Administrator
In reply to this post by Les-3
I have this same problem, and in fact many in my tree in Southwark itself.

It is made even worse by the fact that Southwark changed its county several times, from Surrey, to County of London, to no county now (I think that is right - I don't think the postal address has any county now.)

At present, I have a mixture of things, but I am thinking on standardising so that in the Place editor, under Place Name I would have whatever was on the original source document, and then in the Location tab try to standardise. For example, using London as the City, and perhaps the county from http://www.abcounties.co.uk/bpa/bpasection3.htm just for tradition and fun! I guess I would use GB for country, because that is consistent with the ISO name.

Doing this I would at least ebb able to use the sort on the Place Name category to compare related places.

For real fun, have a look at http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/postal.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to imput UK address

Doug
On 10/07/10 17:59, Tim Lyons wrote:

>
> I have this same problem, and in fact many in my tree in Southwark itself.
>
> It is made even worse by the fact that Southwark changed its county several
> times, from Surrey, to County of London, to no county now (I think that is
> right - I don't think the postal address has any county now.)
>
> At present, I have a mixture of things, but I am thinking on standardising
> so that in the Place editor, under Place Name I would have whatever was on
> the original source document, and then in the Location tab try to
> standardise.

I'm tending to do the same - it seems the only way to store
the names that were present in original documents so you can
readily group Place references of the same period; while the
Location data, especially lat/long, hopefully make it easier
to chase Place references that have changed with time. Place
Completion Tool is also a help.


For example, using London as the City, and perhaps the county
> from http://www.abcounties.co.uk/bpa/bpasection3.htm just for tradition and
> fun! I guess I would use GB for country, because that is consistent with the
> ISO name.
>
> Doing this I would at least ebb able to use the sort on the Place Name
> category to compare related places.
>
> For real fun, have a look at http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/postal.html

A delight! It could have been written by Bill Bryson.

Doug

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by Sprint
What will you do first with EVO, the first 4G phone?
Visit sprint.com/first -- http://p.sf.net/sfu/sprint-com-first
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to imput UK address

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Doug_B wrote
I'm tending to do the same - it seems the only way to store
the names that were present in original documents so you can
readily group Place references of the same period; while the
Location data, especially lat/long, hopefully make it easier
to chase Place references that have changed with time. Place
Completion Tool is also a help.
I you have access to MS Windows (which I don't anymore), you should try out Geves http://www.gevesoft.co.uk/. I think this is a brilliant program for storing evidence and not just a family tree. It is quick and easy to enter data from the sources I am using (BMD certificates and Census records). If I were using MS Windows, I would certainly pay out the very reasonable £25 cost.

I have only really tried the UK, but it has the most amazing database of places (gazetteer). This includes knowing what places were called at different periods of time and also time dependent maps that show administrative boundaries at different periods of time. I don't know where he got the data from, but I suppose that it might be some free source, because it doesn't look as though he has enough resources to generate the data himself, and the cost of the software is probably not enough to pay a licence for the data.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to imput UK address

Doug
On 12/07/10 10:53, Tim Lyons wrote:

>
>
> Doug_B wrote:
>>
>> I'm tending to do the same - it seems the only way to store
>> the names that were present in original documents so you can
>> readily group Place references of the same period; while the
>> Location data, especially lat/long, hopefully make it easier
>> to chase Place references that have changed with time. Place
>> Completion Tool is also a help.
>>
>
> I you have access to MS Windows (which I don't anymore), you should try out
> Geves http://www.gevesoft.co.uk/. I think this is a brilliant program for
> storing evidence and not just a family tree. It is quick and easy to enter
> data from the sources I am using (BMD certificates and Census records). If I
> were using MS Windows, I would certainly pay out the very reasonable £25
> cost.
>
> I have only really tried the UK, but it has the most amazing database of
> places (gazetteer). This includes knowing what places were called at
> different periods of time and also time dependent maps that show
> administrative boundaries at different periods of time.

That's really interesting - frequently having to deal with
old place names is often quite a struggle, though Yahoo has
been some help (much better than Google, I've found). Pity
about the Windows restriction, though; I don't use it now.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by Sprint
What will you do first with EVO, the first 4G phone?
Visit sprint.com/first -- http://p.sf.net/sfu/sprint-com-first
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Loading...