How to include the quality of a date in a filter?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to include the quality of a date in a filter?

John W. Kitz-3
All,

I sometimes set the quality of a date to "about" to indicate that I still
need to find some form of proof of the date.

With that in mind I've tried to define a filter that selects all people born
in <city> with the quality of their birth date set to "about", but have so
far been unable to do so, particularly with regards to defining the quality
of a date in a filter.

So suggestions to accomplish the above are appreciated.

Regards, Jk.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to include the quality of a date in a filter?

Dave Scheipers
Hi John

A simple filter in the events view works.

Set the event type, place and in the date field 'about'.

If you want to run it in the Person list or report, you will need to
create an Event filter with these options
General filters >> Events with <data>  setting the Type, place  and
putting 'about' in the date field (no quotes)

In the Person view, create a filter that you will run
General filter >> Persons with events matching the <event filter>

This should give you what you want. Hope this helps, Dave

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 9:06 AM, John W. Kitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> I sometimes set the quality of a date to "about" to indicate that I still
> need to find some form of proof of the date.
>
> With that in mind I've tried to define a filter that selects all people born
> in <city> with the quality of their birth date set to "about", but have so
> far been unable to do so, particularly with regards to defining the quality
> of a date in a filter.
>
> So suggestions to accomplish the above are appreciated.
>
> Regards, Jk.
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to include the quality of a date in a filter?

John W. Kitz-3
Hi Dave,

On 2018-02-04 17:03, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> Hi John
>
> A simple filter in the events view works.
>
> Set the event type, place and in the date field 'about'.

Thanks, works like a charm, in the event view as well as in the people
view, where I was trying to make it work. Apparently the one thing I
hadn't tried was entering the word 'about' in the date field. So far I
had used several different combinations that all had in common that I
had set the date quality to about by means of the calendar icon right of
the date field of the filter form. But after every time I had used the
filter the quality setting had reverted to its default setting of
regular.

> If you want to run it in the Person list or report, you will need to
> create an Event filter with these options
> General filters >> Events with <data>  setting the Type, place  and
> putting 'about' in the date field (no quotes)

I ended up combining the filter form to indicate a date of about and an
event of birth with a small custom filter to select People with the
<birth data> and place of <city>. Key is that I didn't realize that one
can use words like about in the date fields of the various filters.

Now that I do it appears it also produces the result I'm looking for by
combining a filter form to select the event type and a custom filter
People with the <birth data> and date of 'about' and place of <city>.

> In the Person view, create a filter that you will run
> General filter >> Persons with events matching the <event filter>
>
> This should give you what you want. Hope this helps, Dave

The number of people in my data has reached a point were it has become
difficult to do without some sort of filtering, so this is very helpful.

Thanks again, regards, Jk.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to include the quality of a date in a filter?

Dave Scheipers
Hi John,

Glad I could help.

The advantage of creating a generic filter in the events filter and
then selecting for that filter in the people lists, the same filter
can be used with all event types not just the birth and death events
built into the person filter options.

Any of the words used in the date field can be searched for. The thing
you have to get past is that if you use just the word 'about' in the
date search field, because gramps does not see it as a valid date, the
field turns red. This does not prevent the search though.

Dave

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 3:29 PM, John W. Kitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On 2018-02-04 17:03, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>
>> Hi John
>>
>> A simple filter in the events view works.
>>
>> Set the event type, place and in the date field 'about'.
>
>
> Thanks, works like a charm, in the event view as well as in the people view,
> where I was trying to make it work. Apparently the one thing I hadn't tried
> was entering the word 'about' in the date field. So far I had used several
> different combinations that all had in common that I had set the date
> quality to about by means of the calendar icon right of the date field of
> the filter form. But after every time I had used the filter the quality
> setting had reverted to its default setting of regular.
>
>> If you want to run it in the Person list or report, you will need to
>> create an Event filter with these options
>> General filters >> Events with <data>  setting the Type, place  and
>> putting 'about' in the date field (no quotes)
>
>
> I ended up combining the filter form to indicate a date of about and an
> event of birth with a small custom filter to select People with the <birth
> data> and place of <city>. Key is that I didn't realize that one can use
> words like about in the date fields of the various filters.
>
> Now that I do it appears it also produces the result I'm looking for by
> combining a filter form to select the event type and a custom filter People
> with the <birth data> and date of 'about' and place of <city>.
>
>> In the Person view, create a filter that you will run
>> General filter >> Persons with events matching the <event filter>
>>
>> This should give you what you want. Hope this helps, Dave
>
>
> The number of people in my data has reached a point were it has become
> difficult to do without some sort of filtering, so this is very helpful.
>
> Thanks again, regards, Jk.
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to include the quality of a date in a filter?

John W. Kitz-3
Dave,

On 2018-02-04 22:07, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Glad I could help.

Much appreciated.

> The advantage of creating a generic filter in the events filter and
> then selecting for that filter in the people lists, the same filter
> can be used with all event types not just the birth and death events
> built into the person filter options.
>
> Any of the words used in the date field can be searched for. The thing
> you have to get past is that if you use just the word 'about' in the
> date search field, because gramps does not see it as a valid date, the
> field turns red. This does not prevent the search though.

I had already gotten past that since I use the word 'undocumented' in
the date field of citations that do not have a date associated with
them. I guess I had gotten so accustomed to using the dropdown to select
the quality of a date that I never realized myself what you explained.

>
> Dave

Thanks again and enjoy what's left of the day where you are, regards,
Jk.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org