How to include the quality of a date in a filter?

How to include the quality of a date in a filter?

John W. Kitz-3
Dave, or someone else,

Referring to the earlier thread with the same topic; I would like to expand
the simple filter discussed to exclude any births after some date to account
for legislation that governs when Civil Status Archives are made available
to the public.

To that end the filter now includes:

1. People with the <birth data> Date:="about";Place:="Some City"
2. People with the <birth data> Date:="before"

But the second part does not seem to have any effect on the results it
produces.

Also I was wondering is it possible to negate the presence of an event, e.g.
to list all people with a birth event, but without a baptism event?

If yes, how?

Regards, Jk.

Re: How to include the quality of a date in a filter?

Doug-11
On 06/02/18 10:39, John W. Kitz wrote:

> Dave, or someone else,
>
> <snip>
> Also I was wondering is it possible to negate the presence of an event, e.g.
> to list all people with a birth event, but without a baptism event?
>
> If yes, how?
>
> Regards, Jk.

A: People with the personal event:: Birth
B: People with the personal event:: Baptism  - Return values
that do not match the filter rules

C: People matching the filter A
      People matching the filter B
All rules must apply

HTH

Doug

Re: How to include the quality of a date in a filter?

John W. Kitz-3
Doug,

On 2018-02-06 17:07, Doug wrote:

> On 06/02/18 10:39, John W. Kitz wrote:
>> Dave, or someone else,
>>
>> <snip>
>> Also I was wondering is it possible to negate the presence of an
>> event, e.g.
>> to list all people with a birth event, but without a baptism event?
>>
>> If yes, how?
>>
>> Regards, Jk.
>>

> A: People with the personal event:: Birth
> B: People with the personal event:: Baptism  - Return values that do
> not match the filter rules
>
> C: People matching the filter A
>      People matching the filter B
> All rules must apply

Being new to the use of Gramps' filter functionality; I do know one
filter can consist of multiple rules, but how does one nest filters?

Or in other words it is my understanding that one filter can consist of
multiple rules, but so far I've been unable to figure out if it is
possible to return values that do not match a single rule (as opposed to
an entire filter) and if that would turn out to be possible, how that
should be done.

As for your suggestion, which in itself makes sense, I'm not aware
Gramps allows the nesting of filters.

> HTH
>
> Doug

Regards, Jk.

Re: How to include the quality of a date in a filter?

Dave Scheipers
Hi John

Throughout all the various filter options, there will be references to
.... <filter> match. And these references to other filters can reach
into other filter areas. So an event filter can reach into a place
filter. people filters can reference every other area.

The one Doug mentions in the Person filter is... for filter C
General Filters >> People matching the <filter>

So filter A -- People with a birth record
Filter B -- People with no baptism record

Filter C combines the two
People matching the <Filter A>
People matching the <Filter B>

----

As to your other query.... are you putting a date, or at least a year
as part of the 'before' filter rule? Have you checked the "Use regular
expression" box?

Not sure I can be of much help. When I search on the 'about' option, I
realized I am not getting all my records and I do not know why.

Good luck, Dave

On 2018-02-06 23:58, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Hi John
>
> Throughout all the various filter options, there will be references to
> .... <filter> match. And these references to other filters can reach
> into other filter areas. So an event filter can reach into a place
> filter. people filters can reference every other area.
>
> The one Doug mentions in the Person filter is... for filter C
> General Filters >> People matching the <filter>
>
> So filter A -- People with a birth record
> Filter B -- People with no baptism record
>
> Filter C combines the two
> People matching the <Filter A>
> People matching the <Filter B>

Having looked into it briefly I saw the references to .... <filter>
match.

I'll look into it in more detail and will try to make it work at a later
point in time.

> As to your other query.... are you putting a date, or at least a year
> as part of the 'before' filter rule?

Yes, I now see I forgot to include that in my initial email, which
should have read:

To that end the filter now includes two rules, as follows:

1. People with the <birth data> Date:="about";Place:="Some City"
2. People with the <birth data> Date:="before yyyy"

But the filter I entered in Gramps did include a year as part of rule
two, but entered as above it didn't make any difference for the results
it produced.

> Have you checked the "Use regular
> expression" box?

Noticed it at some point, but haven't looked into its use up to now.

> Not sure I can be of much help. When I search on the 'about' option, I
> realized I am not getting all my records and I do not know why.

That's awkward, the 'about' seemed to work fine for me.

That is to say AFAIK no births were left out in the results, in fact the
filter produced more births than I intended to, hence the need to limit
the results of the filter in time.

> Good luck, Dave

Regards, Jk.

Re: How to include the quality of a date in a filter?

Dave Scheipers
Hi John

Been experimenting

When you try searching for Births "before YYYY" gramps is limiting the
search based upon the date ranges set in preferences. I was testing
Births before 1850 and Births in Essex Co, Massachusetts using two
rules based upon your potential need to use two rules. Adding the rule
before 1850  limited the results for just "Essex Co, Massachusetts"
but did not return values before 1800. The date range set in
preferences is 50 years for dates with 'before'. Curiously, it did add
dates that were 'after 1751' because that date range set in
preferences was also 50 years. So it returned a valid search because
the range was also true for the 'before 1850' (I hope that makes
sense.) But definite dates before 1800 were excluded from the search.

One of the developers (Nick H??) posted about the date ranges set in
Preferences and how they affect a person's age when before... about...
between... etc were used on event dates. The great ranges of ages were
being affected by the date ranges set in preferences.

FYI, checking the "Use regular expression" box had no effect on the results.

I do not know how any of this affects what you are trying to do. Try
building your filter by testing one clause at time and then combing
one clause at a time to the final filter version.. Maybe increasing
the date ranges in preferences while doing the search will return
different results.

I hope this helps or maybe it has given you too much to think about.
Good luck

Dave

On 2018-02-07 02:26, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> Hi John
>
> Been experimenting

I've done a bit of the same, at this time it looks like the use of e.g.
about and before are mutually exclusive. I.e. one can either include
'about' in a rule, as I did initially or one of the other operators,
such as 'before', 'after', 'range', etc., that are on the same drop down
in the date dialog box, but not two, such as 'about' and 'before', or
more in one or more rules in the same filter.

> When you try searching for Births "before YYYY" gramps is limiting the
> search based upon the date ranges set in preferences. I was testing
> Births before 1850 and Births in Essex Co, Massachusetts using two
> rules based upon your potential need to use two rules. Adding the rule
> before 1850  limited the results for just "Essex Co, Massachusetts"
> but did not return values before 1800. The date range set in
> preferences is 50 years for dates with 'before'. Curiously, it did add
> dates that were 'after 1751' because that date range set in
> preferences was also 50 years. So it returned a valid search because
> the range was also true for the 'before 1850' (I hope that makes
> sense.) But definite dates before 1800 were excluded from the search.

That does not seem to be the case in my installation. As an example I
tried to filter all births with a date of about <any> in some city
before 1918-01-01 and births with a date as early as 1823 are shown,
even though the date range set in preferences is 50 years for dates with
'before'.

> One of the developers (Nick H??) posted about the date ranges set in
> Preferences and how they affect a person's age when before... about...
> between... etc were used on event dates. The great ranges of ages were
> being affected by the date ranges set in preferences.
>
> FYI, checking the "Use regular expression" box had no effect on the
> results.

Again I've only very briefly looked into those, but they seem to provide
for wildcards, etc. At this time it doens't look they can be used for
what I'm trying to achieve.

> I do not know how any of this affects what you are trying to do. Try
> building your filter by testing one clause at time and then combing
> one clause at a time to the final filter version.. Maybe increasing
> the date ranges in preferences while doing the search will return
> different results.

See above.

> I hope this helps or maybe it has given you too much to think about.

Thanks so far.

> Good luck

I'm sure I'll figure something out at some point.

> Dave

Regards, Jk.

Re: How to include the quality of a date in a filter?

Dave Scheipers
Hi John

I think I have how dates are handled in filters figured out.

In Preferences >> Dates --- The 'about', 'before' and 'after' ranges
are set. The defaults are 50 years.

What this means is that in a search, an event with 'about 1800' will
return as valid for any search of years between 1750 and 1850. In
events, do a quick search for all events on the year 1850. All
definite date events in 1850 will be in the list. But all events with
'about 1800' to 'about 1900' will also show up in the list of events.
Likewise,, 'after 1800'  and 'before 1900' will show in the list.

Now consider what happens when you search for events 'before 1850'.
Based upon the Preference Dates, events will show in the events list
for all definite dates from 1800 to 1850, But not before 1800. That 50
year date range. The exceptions will be the before. after and about
dates that using their own ranges will be true for the search range.
So 'after 1750' and 'about 1750' and 'before 1900' will show in the
list of events.

Obviously, these ranges will shrink or grow depending on what is set
in Preferences >> Dates.

When setting up a search for a range of dates, it would be best to use
'between .... and ...' as the search criteria. If you need 1700's
dates to show up in the 'before 1850' search above, it would be better
to use 'between 1700 and 1850' as the search criteria. Dates with
'about' 'before' and after' will still extend beyond the 'between
YYYY. and YYYY' based upon their own range of years. The only way to
exclude them would be to set the range years to 0 which you probably
would not want to maintain as a rule.

It took a little time to test various combinations in the events
sidebar filter and I hope I have explained how the date ranges affect
search criteria and which dates will return as true in the list.

I really hope this helps, Dave

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 6:44 AM, John W. Kitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> On 2018-02-07 02:26, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>
>> Hi John
>>
>> Been experimenting
>

> I've done a bit of the same, at this time it looks like the use of e.g.
> about and before are mutually exclusive. I.e. one can either include 'about'
> in a rule, as I did initially or one of the other operators, such as
> 'before', 'after', 'range', etc., that are on the same drop down in the date
> dialog box, but not two, such as 'about' and 'before', or more in one or
> more rules in the same filter.
>
>> When you try searching for Births "before YYYY" gramps is limiting the
>> search based upon the date ranges set in preferences. I was testing
>> Births before 1850 and Births in Essex Co, Massachusetts using two
>> rules based upon your potential need to use two rules. Adding the rule
>> before 1850  limited the results for just "Essex Co, Massachusetts"
>> but did not return values before 1800. The date range set in
>> preferences is 50 years for dates with 'before'. Curiously, it did add
>> dates that were 'after 1751' because that date range set in
>> preferences was also 50 years. So it returned a valid search because
>> the range was also true for the 'before 1850' (I hope that makes
>> sense.) But definite dates before 1800 were excluded from the search.
>

> That does not seem to be the case in my installation. As an example I tried
> to filter all births with a date of about <any> in some city before
> 1918-01-01 and births with a date as early as 1823 are shown, even though
> the date range set in preferences is 50 years for dates with 'before'.
>
>> One of the developers (Nick H??) posted about the date ranges set in
>> Preferences and how they affect a person's age when before... about...
>> between... etc were used on event dates. The great ranges of ages were
>> being affected by the date ranges set in preferences.
>>
>> FYI, checking the "Use regular expression" box had no effect on the
>> results.
>

> Again I've only very briefly looked into those, but they seem to provide for
> wildcards, etc. At this time it doens't look they can be used for what I'm
> trying to achieve.
>
>> I do not know how any of this affects what you are trying to do. Try
>> building your filter by testing one clause at time and then combing
>> one clause at a time to the final filter version.. Maybe increasing
>> the date ranges in preferences while doing the search will return
>> different results.
>

> See above.
>
>> I hope this helps or maybe it has given you too much to think about.
>

> Thanks so far.
>
>> Good luck
>

> I'm sure I'll figure something out at some point.
>

>> Dave
>>

> Regards, Jk.

Re: How to include the quality of a date in a filter?

Doug-11
John,
On 06/02/18 22:14, John W. Kitz wrote:

> Doug,
>
> On 2018-02-06 17:07, Doug wrote:
>> On 06/02/18 10:39, John W. Kitz wrote:
>>> Dave, or someone else,
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>> Also I was wondering is it possible to negate the
>>> presence of an event, e.g.
>>> to list all people with a birth event, but without a
>>> baptism event?
>>>
>>> If yes, how?
>>>
>>> Regards, Jk.
>>>

>> A: People with the personal event:: Birth
>> B: People with the personal event:: Baptism  - Return
>> values that do
>> not match the filter rules
>>
>> C: People matching the filter A
>>      People matching the filter B
>> All rules must apply
>
> Being new to the use of Gramps' filter functionality; I do
> know one filter can consist of multiple rules, but how
> does one nest filters?
>
> Or in other words it is my understanding that one filter
> can consist of multiple rules, but so far I've been unable
> to figure out if it is possible to return values that do
> not match a single rule (as opposed to an entire filter)
> and if that would turn out to be possible, how that should
> be done.
>
> As for your suggestion, which in itself makes sense, I'm
> not aware Gramps allows the nesting of filters.
<snip>

It might be worth your while looking at the Gramps Wiki
Example filters

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Example_filters
where you can see how to construct filters nested several deep.

Returning values that do not match a single rule: filter B
above used on its own returns values that do not match the
rule for a baptism event, but perhaps that's not what you meant.

To return values that do not match any of a whole set of
filters you'd have to do the following:
filter A; xxxxxxx Return values that do not match the filter
rule
filter B: yyyyyy Return values that do not match the filter rule
filter C: zzzzzzz Return values that do not match the filter
rule
etc.
Then D: rule 1 - people/events/places that match filter A
               rule 2 - people/events/places that match filter B
               rule 3 - people/events/places that match filter C
etc.
All rules must apply

HTH

Doug