How to manually reset the main partcipants to an event?

How to manually reset the main partcipants to an event?

John W. Kitz-3
Hi,

Is there a way to manually reset the main participants to a marriage event?

The reason for asking is that to date I've added a whole bunch of marriages
for each of which the names of both spouses are automatically added as main
participants to the event. I just noticed that for some reason those main
participants have disappeared from one of the marriage events in my data,
and even after having had a look at the information on the help wiki I can't
seem to find a way to manually reinstate those names of the spouses as main
participants to the event.

Regards, Jk.

Re: How to manually reset the main partcipants to an event?

Ron Johnson
Really?  When looking in the Event Reference Editor, all of my people are automatically added with the Role of "Family" in Marriage events.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

On 05/11/2017 03:36 AM, John W. Kitz wrote:
Hi,

Is there a way to manually reset the main participants to a marriage event?

The reason for asking is that to date I've added a whole bunch of marriages
for each of which the names of both spouses are automatically added as main
participants to the event. I just noticed that for some reason those main
participants have disappeared from one of the marriage events in my data,
and even after having had a look at the information on the help wiki I can't
seem to find a way to manually reinstate those names of the spouses as main
participants to the event.

Re: How to manually reset the main partcipants to an event?

John W. Kitz-3
Ron, Dave,

On 2017-05-11 15:15, Ron Johnson wrote:
> No, just the two spouses.
>
> After re-reading your post, maybe I misunderstood it.  Are you saying
> that the husband and wife disappeared from the Marriage event?

To date the data in my main tree is relatively simple, just a bunch of
people with birth, baptism, marriage, divorce and death events against
them and in addition some with residence and a couple of custom events
for departure and arrival, that's about it. Nothing fancy.

Now so far all marriages looked fine and the same to me, but all of a
sudden I noticed one marriage with no 'Main Participants' when shown by
going to families and then double clicking the affected family.

So the Family category heading incl. the count of family events are
there, as are the date and place of the wedding and in addition the role
of the event is shown as primary, the event id. is show and the age at
the date of the event.

The only thing that is missing, when viewing the family, the individual
partners as well as the marriage event in the event view, are the names
under the Main Participants heading.

And so far I've been unable to find a way to fix it.

Regards, Jk.

Re: How to manually reset the main partcipants to an event?

Dave Scheipers
Hi John,

Check the marriage event record for the couple. The Role for the event should say "Family". I just did a quick check by modifying a Marriage event record, changed Role from 'Family' to 'Unknown' and the main participants disappeared.

Dave

Ron, Dave,

On 2017-05-11 15:15, Ron Johnson wrote:
> No, just the two spouses.
>
> After re-reading your post, maybe I misunderstood it.  Are you saying
> that the husband and wife disappeared from the Marriage event?

To date the data in my main tree is relatively simple, just a bunch of
people with birth, baptism, marriage, divorce and death events against
them and in addition some with residence and a couple of custom events
for departure and arrival, that's about it. Nothing fancy.

Now so far all marriages looked fine and the same to me, but all of a
sudden I noticed one marriage with no 'Main Participants' when shown by
going to families and then double clicking the affected family.

So the Family category heading incl. the count of family events are
there, as are the date and place of the wedding and in addition the role
of the event is shown as primary, the event id. is show and the age at
the date of the event.

The only thing that is missing, when viewing the family, the individual
partners as well as the marriage event in the event view, are the names
under the Main Participants heading.

And so far I've been unable to find a way to fix it.

Regards, Jk.

Re: How to manually reset the main partcipants to an event?

John W. Kitz-3
Dave,

On 2017-05-11 23:53, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Check the marriage event record for the couple. The Role for the event
> should say "Family". I just did a quick check by modifying a Marriage
> event record, changed Role from 'Family' to 'Unknown' and the main
> participants disappeared.

Fixed, I must have changed it inadvertently .

> Dave

Thanks so much, Jk.

Re: How to manually reset the main partcipants to an event?

adrian.davey
As I interpret what you are saying here, you suggest that when in the
family editor [entered either from the Families or Relationships views],
with the "Events" tab brought to the foreground, that against a
particular marriage event the value under the "Main participants"
heading for that event is blank.

I think this is always the case when adding a new marriage event, UNTIL
you save out of the family editor [i.e. hit the OK in the family editor,
AS WELL AS having hit OK after entering the details of the event
itself]. The reason is presumably that the first OK commits the details
of the event into the database, but the second one is required to commit
its connection to this particular family.

But are you suggesting that when you go into an EXISTING family, and
bring the "Events" tab to the foreground, that the "Main participants"
value is blank? If so, is there an entry on the same editor [top-left or
top-right] for at least one of the "Father/partner1" and/or
"Mother/partner2"? The value under "Main participants" will always be
blank if both these partner connections is empty.

Adrian Davey