How to period of time

sophie1975
Hello,

is there a best practice to enter a period of time for an event for
instance a traineeship  or the period of time a person were living in a
special place? Especially if I do not know the exact period but just the
start and the end year?
Entering a period like this "1955-1958" for an event is tolerated by
system but highlighted in red because of the incorrect syntax. Moreover
the event with a period of time would not be listed chronologically in
the narrative report.

Thx in advance.
Nathalie

Re: How to period of time

Brad Rogers
On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 20:22:09 +0100
sophie1975 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello sophie1975,

>system but highlighted in red because of the incorrect syntax. Moreover
>the event with a period of time would not be listed chronologically in
>the narrative report.

Use "between StartDate and EndDate" for ranges.

--
 Regards  _
No, he's just a w*****

Re: How to period of time

Tom Hughes
On 22/12/2018 19:22, sophie1975 wrote:

> is there a best practice to enter a period of time for an event for
> instance a traineeship  or the period of time a person were living in a
> special place? Especially if I do not know the exact period but just the
> start and the end year?
 >
> Entering a period like this "1955-1958" for an event is tolerated by
> system but highlighted in red because of the incorrect syntax. Moreover
> the event with a period of time would not be listed chronologically in
> the narrative report.

There are two - for an event that spans a period of time with a start
and end you can use:

   from DATE to DATE

and when you know something happened between two dates but not exactly
when you can use:

   between DATE and DATE

Note that you can also use "before DATE" and "after DATE" when you
only know one bound.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: How to period of time

Hi Nathalie

from <date> to <date is what you are looking for. The <date> can be
the any valid date from just the year, the month and year or with the
day included. You can use the date editor or just manually type in
what you want.

Check out:
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Entering_and_editing_data:_detailed_-_part_1#Editing_dates

There is also the  between <date> and <date>   I like to think of them
as from <date> to <date>  as the span of time when an event happened.
while  between <date> and <date>  is used for an event that occurred
on a date sometime between the two dates.

HTH,  Dave

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 2:23 PM sophie1975 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is there a best practice to enter a period of time for an event for
> instance a traineeship  or the period of time a person were living in a
> special place? Especially if I do not know the exact period but just the
> start and the end year?
> Entering a period like this "1955-1958" for an event is tolerated by
> system but highlighted in red because of the incorrect syntax. Moreover
> the event with a period of time would not be listed chronologically in
> the narrative report.
>
> Thx in advance.
> Nathalie

Re: How to period of time

On 12/22/18 1:22 PM, sophie1975 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is there a best practice to enter a period of time for an event for
> instance a traineeship  or the period of time a person were living in a
> special place? Especially if I do not know the exact period but just the
> start and the end year?
> Entering a period like this "1955-1958" for an event is tolerated by
> system but highlighted in red because of the incorrect syntax. Moreover
> the event with a period of time would not be listed chronologically in
> the narrative report.

Grandpa Smith was in the Army "FROM 1955 TO 1958".

Grandpa Smith got married sometime "BETWEEN 1958 AND 1958".

Re: How to period of time - manual

Nathalie,

The postings will have already answered your specific question.  But you might want to look beyond simple date ranges & spans.

Gramps has LOTS of often overlooked date features. And the assumption that dates are simple will do you a great disservice while learning the program. The online manual has lots of information about date features... but it's pretty dry reading.  (anybody have a good list of Date tutorial webpages in the wiki?)

As covered, you can directly type in a date range or span.  But you can see more of the breadth of date features by using the Date Editor Graphical User Interface:

Editing dates
Regular: A "regular" date is one which includes a specific day, date, or month. It can be complete (e.g., June 6, 1990) or partial (e.g., July 1977).
Before: A "before" date is one that can only be identified as occurring before a certain day, month, or year.
After: An "after" date is one that occurs after a certain day, month, or year.
Range: A "range" describes a time period during which the event occurred.For example, "between January 1932 and March 1932."
Span : A "span" describes a time period during which a condition existed.

quality modifiers:
estimated or calculated

There's support for
Dual-dated dates

You can adjust how Gramps interprets approximate dates when filtering/searching:

DatesFig. 13.11 Menu: "Edit>Preferences..." - "Dates" - tab - defaults
Date about range: Default: 50
Date after range: Default: 50
Date before range: Default: 50
Maximum age probably alive: Default: 110
Maximum sibling age difference: Default: 20
Minimum years between generations: Default: 13
Average years between generations: Default: 20

The following manual section is very sketchy:
If you have an age and want to calculate the date, you can use the Date Calculator gramplet:

And thanks for reminding me that I've not yet added the results of date entry shortcut experiments to the wiki manual. (Shortcuts like you can type roman numerals such as 'x' for the months.)

Brian

On Saturday, December 22, 2018, 1:23:55 PM CST, sophie1975 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

is there a best practice to enter a period of time for an event for
instance a traineeship  or the period of time a person were living in a
special place? Especially if I do not know the exact period but just the
start and the end year?
Entering a period like this "1955-1958" for an event is tolerated by
system but highlighted in red because of the incorrect syntax. Moreover
the event with a period of time would not be listed chronologically in
the narrative report.

Thx in advance.
Nathalie

Re: How to period of time

sophie1975
I finally found out why I was not able to reply to the users that gave
me advice on the period of time. I just did not notice thast my mail
client put another email address as a sender that I did not use for the
mailing list subscription. Just simple like that.
So this is just a reply to say thank you for your answers. I missed that
one regarding periods of time.

Nathalie