How to remove gramplets?

Erik P. Olsen
I have added a few gramplets in order to check their behaviour. Some of them I want to
remove but I can't see how I can do that. I see that I should select the down arrow in
the right corner but that only allow me to add or restore gramplets, so something is
missing or I may have misunderstood something.

I'd appreciate if someone would explain what I am doing wrong.

Erik P. Olsen

Re: How to remove gramplets?

GRAMPS - User mailing list
In Edit: Preferences, choose the Display tab and select the checkbox for "Sow close button in gramplet bar tabs" (gramplet bars are called Sidebar and Bottombar in the View menu)

When this checkbox is NOT selected, there should be "Remove a gramplet" expandable menu item in that 'down arrow' menu. If it's is missing and the 'X' on the Gramplet menu tabs is missing, you may have found a bug.

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 15:10, Erik P. Olsen

On 2018-12-30 at 22:51:11 [hidden email] wrote:

> In Edit: Preferences, choose the Display tab and select the checkbox for "Sow close
> button in gramplet bar tabs" (gramplet bars are called Sidebar and Bottombar in the
> View menu) When this checkbox is NOT selected, there should be "Remove a gramplet"
> expandable menu item in that 'down arrow' menu. If it's is missing and the 'X' on the
> Gramplet menu tabs is missing, you may have found a bug.

So then indeed it must be a bug. How do I report it to get it fixed?

Erik P. Olsen

>   On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 15:10, Erik P. Olsen<[hidden email]> wrote:   I have added
> a few gramplets in order to check their behaviour. Some of them I want to remove but I
> can't see how I can do that. I see that I should select the down arrow in the right
> corner but that only allow me to add or restore gramplets, so something is missing or I
> may have misunderstood something.
>
> I'd appreciate if someone would explain what I am doing wrong.

Re: How to remove gramplets?

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I'm using Window 20 and with the 64bit Gramps 5.0.1-1 release... these Gramplet options perform as expected on that system. Are you sure you're not overlooking the Close gadget?

Are you using a different OS? If you're using the Windows version, there's a chance the Preferences file or the installation is corrupted.

You could rename the following file to test the preferences (a new one will automatically be generated but ALL your customization will be gone.  So it's nice to be able to replace the new file with the renamed file if resetting Preferences makes no difference)

For Windows, that Preferences file is:
%appdata%\gramps\gramps50\gramps.ini

(The line setting the grampletbar-close controls this feature)

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 1:18, Erik P. Olsen
On 2018-12-30 at 22:51:11 [hidden email] wrote:

> In Edit: Preferences, choose the Display tab and select the checkbox for "Sow close
> button in gramplet bar tabs" (gramplet bars are called Sidebar and Bottombar in the
> View menu) When this checkbox is NOT selected, there should be "Remove a gramplet"
> expandable menu item in that 'down arrow' menu. If it's is missing and the 'X' on the
> Gramplet menu tabs is missing, you may have found a bug.

So then indeed it must be a bug. How do I report it to get it fixed?

Erik P. Olsen

>  On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 15:10, Erik P. Olsen<[hidden email]> wrote:  I have added
> a few gramplets in order to check their behaviour. Some of them I want to remove but I
> can't see how I can do that. I see that I should select the down arrow in the right
> corner but that only allow me to add or restore gramplets, so something is missing or I
> may have misunderstood something.
>
> I'd appreciate if someone would explain what I am doing wrong.

Re: How to remove gramplets?

Erik P. Olsen
I'm using Linux, Fedora 29 (the newest), and Gramps 5.0.0. It made no difference to
recreate a new gramps.ini so to me it still looks like a bug. As a side note, this
procedure to remove gramplets is not the most intuitive I have seen.

Erik P. Olsen

On 2018-12-31 at 09:51:33 [hidden email] wrote:

> I'm using Window 20 and with the 64bit Gramps 5.0.1-1 release... these Gramplet options
> perform as expected on that system. Are you sure you're not overlooking the Close
> gadget? Are you using a different OS? If you're using the Windows version, there's a
> chance the Preferences file or the installation is corrupted. You could rename the
> following file to test the preferences (a new one will automatically be generated but
> ALL your customization will be gone.  So it's nice to be able to replace the new file
> with the renamed file if resetting Preferences makes no difference) For Windows, that
> Preferences file is:%appdata%\gramps\gramps50\gramps.ini
>
> (The line setting the grampletbar-close controls this feature)
>
>   On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 1:18, Erik P. Olsen<[hidden email]> wrote:   On 2018-12-30
> at 22:51:11 [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > In Edit: Preferences, choose the Display tab and select the checkbox for "Sow close
> > button in gramplet bar tabs" (gramplet bars are called Sidebar and Bottombar in the
> > View menu) When this checkbox is NOT selected, there should be "Remove a gramplet"
> > expandable menu item in that 'down arrow' menu. If it's is missing and the 'X' on the
> > Gramplet menu tabs is missing, you may have found a bug.
>
> So then indeed it must be a bug. How do I report it to get it fixed?

Re: How to remove gramplets?

Doug-11
On 31/12/2018 11:59, Erik P. Olsen wrote:

> I'm using Linux, Fedora 29 (the newest), and Gramps 5.0.0. It made no difference to
> recreate a new gramps.ini so to me it still looks like a bug. As a side note, this
> procedure to remove gramplets is not the most intuitive I have seen.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Erik P. Olsen
>

> On 2018-12-31 at 09:51:33 [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> I'm using Window 20 and with the 64bit Gramps 5.0.1-1 release... these Gramplet options
>> perform as expected on that system. Are you sure you're not overlooking the Close
>> gadget? Are you using a different OS? If you're using the Windows version, there's a
>> chance the Preferences file or the installation is corrupted. You could rename the
>> following file to test the preferences (a new one will automatically be generated but
>> ALL your customization will be gone.  So it's nice to be able to replace the new file
>> with the renamed file if resetting Preferences makes no difference) For Windows, that
>> Preferences file is:%appdata%\gramps\gramps50\gramps.ini
>>
>> (The line setting the grampletbar-close controls this feature)
>>
>>    On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 1:18, Erik P. Olsen<[hidden email]> wrote:   On 2018-12-30
>> at 22:51:11 [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> In Edit: Preferences, choose the Display tab and select the checkbox for "Sow close
>>> button in gramplet bar tabs" (gramplet bars are called Sidebar and Bottombar in the
>>> View menu) When this checkbox is NOT selected, there should be "Remove a gramplet"
>>> expandable menu item in that 'down arrow' menu. If it's is missing and the 'X' on the
>>> Gramplet menu tabs is missing, you may have found a bug.
>> So then indeed it must be a bug. How do I report it to get it fixed?

Linux Mint Debian; gramps 5.0.1: options are working as expected

Doug

Re: How to remove gramplets?

First, lets make the distinction between Closing a gramplet and
Removing a Gramplet.

To Close a Gramplet.... on the dashboard, Gramplets should have an "X"
to close them.

To Close a gramplet in a Side or Bottom Bar, there should be a down
arrow at the far right of the Bar. It is pinned to that location so
should be available regardless of the size of the bar. Selecting the
arrow should allow for the menu options to Add... Remove... or
Restore... a Gramplet. Additionally, in Preferences >> Display tab...
as the last item there is a check box to display the close "X" on each
gramplet tab.

If any of these options are not accessible then there is a bug and can
be filed at
https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view_all_bug_page.php

To Remove a Gramplet.... go to the Menu >> Help >> Plugin
Manager....find the gramplet and Uninstall. You can also Hide an addon
that you do not want shown as an option. You can also go to the folder
where addons are stored and manually deleting the addon's folder.

HTH, Dave