How to revert to a backup

Bill Gee
Hello everyone - Newbie here!

I have made what I think is a serious mistake.  Any hints on how to get around
this will be welcome.

The basics:  I have a Gramps database of about 660 people that is pretty
clean.  I have been through it and made sure everything matches up regarding
places, events, notes etc.

I obtained a GED file from one of my cousins which has over 4000 people in it.
That GED file and my database overlap for about 550 or 600 people.  The data
in the GED file is not very clean, especially with regard to place names.
That is partly because it has people going back to the 11th and 12th century
in Europe where place names are ...  fluid!

I set up a test database where I exported an XML of my file, imported to the
new database and then imported the GED file.  It was a right royal mess.  Damn
near everything was duplicated.  It would be many weeks of work to sort that
out.

So here is my mistake ...  I set up a database that has only the GED file.  I
created a filter and exported to XML only 8 people, none of whom exist in my
primary database.  I should have tested that XML on a scratch database, but I
did not.  I imported it directly to my clean file.  Bad move ...

Surprise!!!!!  That XML file brought in the eight people I wanted ...  and
EVERY event, place, note and other entry from the GED file.  I tried to close
without saving, but Gramps said there were too many items to undo.
ARGHHHHHH!!!!!  Cleaning up all those unreferenced items will take forever.

I have a GPKG backup that I made just before importing the XML file.  I don't
see a way to revert to it.

1) What is the process for reverting to a previous backup?

2) Any suggestions for how to import the data from that GED file without
completely screwing up my existing file?

Thanks!
--
Bill Gee

Re: How to revert to a backup

Ron Johnson
On 05/23/2018 10:17 AM, Bill Gee wrote:
[...]

There is no "revert".  You just create a new tree, load that tree, and then Import the .gpkg file.  (I hope your media are paths are set to relative in Edit->Preferences!)

If your media have absolute paths, then I suggest renaming the folder at the top of your media tree before importing into the new tree.