How to split a large Family Tree.

Phylis Sophical
I just have one large family tree with all relatives from both sides of the family.
How can I split them into separate 'new' trees for each branch. Say one tree for Brown, one tree for Jones, one tree for Smith, etc.
Do I have to make a copy of my Big tree and Remove all that are not a part of that branch? Or is there a better / simpler way?
Gramps AIO64-4.2.5-1
Windows 10

Re: How to split a large Family Tree.

Harvey Nimmo
On Fri, 2017-02-24 at 10:10 -0800, Phylis Sophical wrote:

> I just have one large family tree with all relatives from both sides
> of the
> family.
> How can I split them into separate 'new' trees for each branch. Say
> one tree
> for Brown, one tree for Jones, one tree for Smith, etc.
> Do I have to make a copy of my Big tree and Remove all that are not a
> part
> of that branch? Or is there a better / simpler way?

You could do it with filters, one for each branch. But frankly, you'd
pobably have quite a lot of head scratching to do. (But with a pen name
like yours, would that be a problem? :-) )

Cheers
Harvey

On 02/24/2017 12:10 PM, Phylis Sophical wrote:
> I just have one large family tree with all relatives from both sides of the
> family.
> How can I split them into separate 'new' trees for each branch. Say one tree
> for Brown, one tree for Jones, one tree for Smith, etc.
> Do I have to make a copy of my Big tree and Remove all that are not a part
> of that branch? Or is there a better / simpler way?

I'd "snip" the big tree into separate pieces, then for each new tree set the
relevant "base" person as Home and then export based on "everyone related to
Home".

However, because of the Place hierarchy and the benefits of sharing it, I
went the opposite direction and unified my separate trees.

Re: How to split a large Family Tree.

Hi Phylis,

I wouldn't do it. I created a narrated web site for one of my mother's cousins and loaded it on a thumb drive for her. I was perusing it to check it out (it was the first time I did this) and my father's sister showed up. We are more interconnected than we think. Granted, I'm researching old New England families that intermarried extensively through the generations and I don't limit my research to grandparents. I chase after the cousins too.

And like Ron, I would hate to have to maintain two place databases. I'm still cleaning and organizing it and still not at a point to use the automatic place titles with places changing through time.

Dave

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Phylis Sophical <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just have one large family tree with all relatives from both sides of the
family.
How can I split them into separate 'new' trees for each branch. Say one tree
for Brown, one tree for Jones, one tree for Smith, etc.
Do I have to make a copy of my Big tree and Remove all that are not a part
of that branch? Or is there a better / simpler way?

Re: How to split a large Family Tree.

Peter Merchant
On 24/02/17 20:21, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Hi Phylis,
>
> I wouldn't do it. I created a narrated web site for one of my mother's
> cousins and loaded it on a thumb drive for her. I was perusing it to
> check it out (it was the first time I did this) and my father's sister
> showed up. We are more interconnected than we think. Granted, I'm
> researching old New England families that intermarried extensively
> through the generations and I don't limit my research to grandparents.
> I chase after the cousins too.
>
> And like Ron, I would hate to have to maintain two place databases.
> I'm still cleaning and organizing it and still not at a point to use
> the automatic place titles with places changing through time.

Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to export the places aspect of the
database and import it into another database?

Peter

Re: How to split a large Family Tree.

Dave Scheipers
But you would still be faced with maintaining 2 place databases. One of the things I love most about gramps is the ability to have things in the database once. Places, sources, citations, media, events, etc are in the database once. They can all be shared but there is only one copy or record of it.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 4:02 PM, Peter Merchant <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 24/02/17 20:21, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> Hi Phylis,
>
> I wouldn't do it. I created a narrated web site for one of my mother's
> cousins and loaded it on a thumb drive for her. I was perusing it to
> check it out (it was the first time I did this) and my father's sister
> showed up. We are more interconnected than we think. Granted, I'm
> researching old New England families that intermarried extensively
> through the generations and I don't limit my research to grandparents.
> I chase after the cousins too.
>
> And like Ron, I would hate to have to maintain two place databases.
> I'm still cleaning and organizing it and still not at a point to use
> the automatic place titles with places changing through time.

Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to export the places aspect of the
database and import it into another database?

Peter

Re: How to split a large Family Tree.

Ideal would be a "meta" database with resources that all your trees could
share.  In addition to Places, Sources can pretty universal if you go for
generic sources with lots of Citations under them.

On 02/24/2017 03:02 PM, Peter Merchant wrote:

[snip]

> Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to export the places aspect of the
> database and import it into another database?

Re: How to split a large Family Tree.

Dave Gilmore
Hi Phylis,

     It would help if we knew your reason for wanting to split them up.

Dave

On 2/24/2017 10:10 AM, Phylis Sophical wrote:

> I just have one large family tree with all relatives from both sides of the
> family.
> How can I split them into separate 'new' trees for each branch. Say one tree
> for Brown, one tree for Jones, one tree for Smith, etc.
> Do I have to make a copy of my Big tree and Remove all that are not a part
> of that branch? Or is there a better / simpler way?

Re: How to split a large Family Tree.

Peter Hewett-2

------------------------
From: Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]>

> Hi Phylis,
> I wouldn't do it. I created a narrated web site for one of my mother's
> cousins and loaded it on a thumb drive for her. I was perusing it to check
> it out (it was the first time I did this) and my father's sister showed up.
> We are more interconnected than we think. Granted, I'm researching old New
> England families that intermarried extensively through the generations and
> I don't limit my research to grandparents. I chase after the cousins too.

This is good advice.

It is much better to maintain just one database. You can easily produce
reports and charts for just the part of the family that you are
interested in.
As well as being less work, a single database enables you to find
interesting links and common ancestors.

I can't think of any good reason to have your data in separate databases.

HTH

Peter

Re: How to split a large Family Tree.

Phylis Sophical
My reason is I have a family member who wants to get into Genealogy. He is only related to one branch of my family on my husbands side. I would like to give him a Gramps file that would only contain his side of the family, perhaps without notes ( don't want to expose any family secrets :)

I hadn't thought of what the rest of you said, re having to maintain several trees. Good Advice.
Gramps AIO64-4.2.5-1
Windows 10

Re: How to split a large Family Tree.

Perfectly reasonable reason for creating a branch.  Happens all the time.

I'd temporarily "snip" that person out of the whole tree, export everyone
related to "him" (excluding private records), then load into another tree
for a more careful exclusion of records.

On 02/24/2017 07:01 PM, Phylis Sophical wrote:
> My reason is I have a family member who wants to get into Genealogy. He is
> only related to one branch of my family on my husbands side. I would like to
> give him a Gramps file that would only contain his side of the family,
> perhaps without notes ( don't want to expose any family secrets :)
>
> I hadn't thought of what the rest of you said, re having to maintain several
> trees. Good Advice.

Re: How to split a large Family Tree.

Tony Gordon
On 25/02/17 14:01, Phylis Sophical wrote:
> My reason is I have a family member who wants to get into Genealogy. He is
> only related to one branch of my family on my husbands side. I would like to
> give him a Gramps file that would only contain his side of the family,
> perhaps without notes ( don't want to expose any family secrets :)
>
> I hadn't thought of what the rest of you said, re having to maintain several
> trees. Good Advice.

Aware that I may want to pass on information to other extended family
members at some point, I created filters to select all members of each
of the grandparents' trees (i.e. four of them) and then tagged them with
their family name. Each tag has a different colour. All new people get
the appropriate tag. This enables me to quickly produce Gedcoms or
Gramps files of just those branches, but also helps me recognise which
branch a particular individual is in when looking at the people list.

Regards
Tony

Re: How to split a large Family Tree.

Phylis Sophical
Ron Johnson wrote
I'd temporarily "snip" that person out of the whole tree, export everyone
related to "him" (excluding private records), then load into another tree
for a more careful exclusion of records.
Ron, what do you mean by 'snip'? How do I Export just those related to him?
Gramps AIO64-4.2.5-1
Windows 10

On 02/25/2017 11:05 AM, Phylis Sophical wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote
>> I'd temporarily "snip" that person out of the whole tree, export everyone
>> related to "him" (excluding private records), then load into another tree
>> for a more careful exclusion of records.
> Ron, what do you mean by 'snip'?

(Temporarily) remove the link between two relevant people (child-parent,
husband-wife, etc).

> How do I Export *just *those related to him?

I'd first try the filter "People related to <person>".  In the Filter
Editor, you can find it in the "Relationship filters" section.

Re: How to split a large Family Tree.

Hi Phylis,

It's a two part filter.

The first filter you select the ancestors of the person you want it for.

In Person filters, create a filter
      Ancestral Filers >> Ancestors of <person>

There is another similar ancestors of... option that allows you to limit how many generations back you may wish to go.

The second filter finds all the descendants based upon the first filter
      Descendant filters >> Descendants family members of <filter1 name> match

This will give you the family members and their spouses. It will not include the parents, or any step children/previous marriages from the spouses. If these are wanted, there is a way to get these too. Let me know.

Then you export.

Select the export format Gramps (xml) family tree. Do not select the option with the media.

Select the export options
      Privacy Filter >> check the box to exclude things marked private (or not)
      Person Filter >> Select the filter name (filter2 above)
      Reference Filter >> Do not include records not linked to a selected person

Once you have the exported tree, create a new empty database and import the just exported file. Make sure the preferences point to the directory where you keep your media files. The media should show up for this pruned tree. If everything is looking good, you can now do a backup but this time choose the option to include the media files. You'll get the pruned database and just the media files that it will need.

I hope this helps, Dave

Ron Johnson wrote