How to tweak the behaviour of the Statistics Gramplet.

How to tweak the behaviour of the Statistics Gramplet.

John W. Kitz-3
All,

I consider the Statistics Gramplet on the Dashboard page of Gramps to be a
useful tool to assess what data still needs to be found for which
individuals. The only down side of it, that I've run into to date, is the
'Individuals missing birth event' statistic.

At this time the Statistics Gramplet counts hundreds of individuals in my
data as 'Individuals missing birth event', however, for all practical
intents and purposes, this statistic is pretty much useless since for most
of these individuals it is not going to even be possible to obtain an exact
date of birth since baptismal records in many cases only contained the date
of baptism and occasionally the actual date of birth.

To get rid of this count I could obviously include a birth event for each
individual containing the year of birth (taken from the baptism event) only,
in fact I've tried this, but IMHO that would degrade rather that enhance
(the accuracy and consequently the usefulness) of my data.

Is there any way to change the behaviour of the Statistics Gramplet to e.g.
exclude those individuals that have an accurate date of baptism, but do not
have an accurate date of birth associated with them, from the count?

Or in other words make the Gramplet count only those individuals that do not
have a birth or a baptism event associated with them?

Regards, Jk.

Re: How to tweak the behaviour of the Statistics Gramplet.

prculley
I'm not sure which "Statistics Gramplet" you are referring to.  The standard version I am aware of doesn't list 'Individuals missing birth event'.

Whoops, I see that the v4.2.x version of the gramplet has that info; it was removed for version 5.0.x.

The answer to your question is yes, it is possible.  Do you feel like writing some code?  Otherwise I would file a bug report with https://gramps-project.org/bugs/bug_report_page.php with 'Severity' set to 'Feature'.

Paul C.

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 4:30 AM, John W. Kitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Paul,

On 2018-02-20 15:43, Paul Culley wrote:
> I'm not sure which "Statistics Gramplet" you are referring to.  The
> standard version I am aware of doesn't list 'Individuals missing birth
> event'.
>
> Whoops, I see that the v4.2.x version of the gramplet has that info;
> it was removed for version 5.0.x.
>
> The answer to your question is yes, it is possible.

Thanks for your reply which I understand to mean, please correct me if
I'm wrong, that the version of the Statistics Gramplet that comes with
the initial Gramps installation can not be configured by some menu
option to count only those individuals that do not have a birth OR a
baptism/christening event associated with them, rather than count
individuals with a birth event absent irrespective of the presence or
absence of a baptisms/christening event.

> Do you feel like
> writing some code?  Otherwise I would file a bug report with
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/bug_report_page.php with 'Severity'
> set to 'Feature'.

I'll consider that, but is there a point in doing so considering that
you mention the Statistics Gramplet is no longer part of the initial
installation from Gramps versions 5.0 and up?

> Paul C.

Regards, Jk.

Re: How to tweak the behaviour of the Statistics Gramplet.

prculley
The statistics Gramplet was not removed from the standard installation, it just lost the ability to show 'Individuals missing birth event'.

I suspect that this was for performance reasons, the original Gramplet was doing a rather time consuming set of db scans every time a change was made to the tree.  Which tended to make Gramps seem sluggish, particularly with large trees.

We may want to look into this decision and try to find a way to make the scan on demand (perhaps with a refresh button), or maybe to work in the background.

Paul C.

Paul,