Quantcast

How to type names or last names in different language?

How to type names or last names in different language?

Negativeion
Is it possible to type names in gramps in a different language if the default install is in English? Some of the names I'd like to enter have special letters that are not part of the English alphabet. I could write them in English but it wouldn't be grammatically corrected in the original language of the name and wouldn't sound the same way either. I'm not looking to change the entire language,  just the ability to type certain letters of a name in their original language.  For example,  the "e" with the 2 dots on top.

Will it work if I change the typing language in Windows?   Is it possible in Linux? I can also use my Linux machine.

Re: How to type names or last names in different language?

Ron Johnson

There are key combinations for all sorts of foreign letters.  This might help:

http://sites.psu.edu/symbolcodes/windows/codealt/

04/18/2017 09:57 PM, Negativeion wrote:

> Is it possible to type names in gramps in a different language if the default
> install is in English? Some of the names I'd like to enter have special
> letters that are not part of the English alphabet. I could write them in
> English but it wouldn't be grammatically corrected in the original language
> of the name and wouldn't sound the same way either. I'm not looking to
> change the entire language,  just the ability to type certain letters of a
> name in their original language.  For example,  the "e" with the 2 dots on
> top.
>
> Will it work if I change the typing language in Windows?   Is it possible in
> Linux? I can also use my Linux machine.

Re: How to type names or last names in different language?

adrian.davey
Another option is to use unicode, and one of the wonders of gramps is
that even the AIO windows versions accepts native unicode [without
needing a unicode input utility running].

In gramps on win or linux, you simply enter <Ctrl><Shift><U> and then
the standard four-character hex code [main keyboard, NOT numpad] of the
unicode character being sought.

e.g. for e umlaut, you enter <Ctrl><Shift><U>00EB and then hit enter

e acute = 00E9
E acute = 00C9
copyright symbol = 00A9
GBP symbol = 00A3
Euro symbol = 00AC
emdash = 2014
etc

I just keep a table of the common codes I often use on the wall ... the
ones I use all the time now just come without even thinking ...

Note that this does NOT work in most win software, especially the
macrobloat stuff - you will need a unicode input utility running for
those ... or the <Alt><numpad><code> method referenced by Ron

cheers, Adrian

On 19/04/17 03:57, Negativeion wrote:

> Is it possible to type names in gramps in a different language if the default
> install is in English? Some of the names I'd like to enter have special
> letters that are not part of the English alphabet. I could write them in
> English but it wouldn't be grammatically corrected in the original language
> of the name and wouldn't sound the same way either. I'm not looking to
> change the entire language,  just the ability to type certain letters of a
> name in their original language.  For example,  the "e" with the 2 dots on
> top.
>
> Will it work if I change the typing language in Windows?   Is it possible in
> Linux? I can also use my Linux machine.

Alternatively, you could use the "Compose" key:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key

For example, Compose " e  = ë

Re: How to type names or last names in different language?

John W. Kitz-3
On 2017-04-19 12:45, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 19/04/17 03:57, Negativeion wrote:
>> Is it possible to type names in gramps in a different language if the
>> default
>> install is in English? Some of the names I'd like to enter have
>> special
>> letters that are not part of the English alphabet. I could write them
>> in
>> English but it wouldn't be grammatically corrected in the original
>> language
>> of the name and wouldn't sound the same way either. I'm not looking to
>> change the entire language,  just the ability to type certain letters
>> of a
>> name in their original language.  For example,  the "e" with the 2
>> dots on
>> top.
>>
>> Will it work if I change the typing language in Windows?   Is it
>> possible in
>> Linux? I can also use my Linux machine.

Even though it is a bit cumbersome, I'd like to offer another
alternative, if I may; when on Windows one could use the Character Map
application, as follows:

Start -> All programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map

After having started the Character Map select the character (e.g. 'ç')
needed, click on the select button, select (mouse over) the character
that was copied to the box, hit copy and hit paste again in the
application in which you'd need to use the character.

Regards, Jk.

Re: How to type names or last names in different language?

paul womack
I have a file that I keep open in LeafPad (Linux equivalent of Windows Notepad)

In it, I have the exotic characters I use most often, the dates
of all the UK censuses, and a few other bits and bobs.

Cut and paste does the rest.

  BugBear

Re: How to type names or last names in different language?

Harvey Nimmo
On Wed, 2017-04-19 at 13:00 +0200, John W. Kitz wrote:

> On 2017-04-19 12:45, Nick Hall wrote:
> >
> > On 19/04/17 03:57, Negativeion wrote:
> > >
> > > Is it possible to type names in gramps in a different language if
> > > the
> > > default
> > > install is in English? Some of the names I'd like to enter have
> > > special
> > > letters that are not part of the English alphabet. I could write
> > > them
> > > in
> > > English but it wouldn't be grammatically corrected in the
> > > original
> > > language
> > > of the name and wouldn't sound the same way either. I'm not
> > > looking to
> > > change the entire language,  just the ability to type certain
> > > letters
> > > of a
> > > name in their original language.  For example,  the "e" with the
> > > 2
> > > dots on
> > > top.
> > >
> > > Will it work if I change the typing language in Windows?   Is it
> > > possible in
> > > Linux? I can also use my Linux machine.
>
> Even though it is a bit cumbersome, I'd like to offer another
> alternative, if I may; when on Windows one could use the Character
> Map
> application, as follows:
>
> Start -> All programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map
>
> After having started the Character Map select the character (e.g.
> 'ç')
> needed, click on the select button, select (mouse over) the
> character
> that was copied to the box, hit copy and hit paste again in the
> application in which you'd need to use the character.
>
> Regards, Jk.

There is something similar in Linux called Character Map.

Cheers
Harvey