How to 'unset' the home person?

John W. Kitz-3
Hi,

I'd like to 'unset' the home person.

I've been searching the Gramps Wiki to find out how to do that, but can't
seem to find the answer.

So I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know how that's done.

Thanks in advance and regards, Jk.

Re: How to 'unset' the home person?

Ron Johnson

You can't AFAICT not have any home person.  But you can change the home
person to someone else.

On 06/10/2017 06:24 AM, John W. Kitz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to 'unset' the home person.
>
> I've been searching the Gramps Wiki to find out how to do that, but can't
> seem to find the answer.
>
> So I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know how that's done.
>
> Thanks in advance and regards, Jk.

Re: How to 'unset' the home person?

Dave Scheipers
Using this delete home person method... you may want to create a new person, set them as the home person and then delete. You would not want to delete and recreate a person with lots of information.

I thought you could export, not backup, and then import back into a new database. I knew the gramps backup would not work. I just tried the export to gramps non media. The export kept the home person record when I imported. I didn't try any other export option.

Dave

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 8:32 AM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can delete the home person, and then undo the delete. He won't be set as a home person after that.

Paul Culley

On Jun 10, 2017 7:14 AM, "Ron Johnson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

You can't AFAICT not have any home person.  But you can change the home person to someone else.

On 06/10/2017 06:24 AM, John W. Kitz wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to 'unset' the home person.

I've been searching the Gramps Wiki to find out how to do that, but can't
seem to find the answer.

So I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know how that's done.

Thanks in advance and regards, Jk.

Re: How to 'unset' the home person?

Hi John,

Out of curiosity, why do you not want a home person?

I have myself set and use the display relation preference so I know if I am looking for information of a relative or an in-law. But if you do not want the relationship information, the home person just becomes another bookmark.

Dave

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 7:24 AM, John W. Kitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to 'unset' the home person.

I've been searching the Gramps Wiki to find out how to do that, but can't
seem to find the answer.

So I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know how that's done.

Thanks in advance and regards, Jk.

Re: How to 'unset' the home person?

John W. Kitz-3
Ron,

On 2017-06-10 14:12, Ron Johnson wrote:
> You can't AFAICT not have any home person.  But you can change the
> home person to someone else.

If there is an option to set a home person logic has it that one starts
out without one set. Applying the same logic I expected to be able to
'unset' the one I set at some point.

> On 06/10/2017 06:24 AM, John W. Kitz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to 'unset' the home person.
>>
>> I've been searching the Gramps Wiki to find out how to do that, but
>> can't
>> seem to find the answer.
>>
>> So I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know how that's done.
>>
>> Thanks in advance and regards, Jk.

Regards, Jk.

Re: How to 'unset' the home person?

John W. Kitz-3
Hi Dave,

On 2017-06-10 14:58, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> Using this delete home person method... you may want to create a new
> person, set them as the home person and then delete. You would not
> want to delete and recreate a person with lots of information.
>
> I thought you could export, not backup, and then import back into a
> new database. I knew the gramps backup would not work. I just tried
> the export to gramps non media. The export kept the home person record
> when I imported. I didn't try any other export option.

Per the above I just did an export and had a look at the resulting XML.

I guess <people home="person-handle"></people> relates to setting the
home person since it encloses the data of all the individuals in my data
with the same last name as the home person. In addition the value of
person-handle in the people record is the same as the value of the
handle of the person currently set as home person.

So I imagine an export and subsequent import ought to work if one
deletes both the opening and closing people XML statements from ones
data prior to import or may be just changing <people
import does the trick?

On 06/10/2017 09:09 AM, John W. Kitz wrote:
> Ron,
>
> On 2017-06-10 14:12, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> You can't AFAICT not have any home person.  But you can change the
>> home person to someone else.
>
> If there is an option to set a home person logic has it that one starts
> out without one set.

But the first person added becomes the Home Person.

Re: How to 'unset' the home person?

John W. Kitz-3
Dave,

On 2017-06-10 15:28, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Out of curiosity, why do you not want a home person?

See my email in reply to Ron's. In addition as the number of individuals
in my data grows it is becoming increasingly tedious to have to scroll
either up or down from the home person to the intended individual to
change his or her data, particularly when working on completing the data
of individuals that are part of a relationship or their respective
parents.

Resetting the home person to a person closer to the individual being
worked on every time this occurs does provide a solution of sorts, but
after a while becomes equally tedious.

> I have myself set and use the display relation preference so I know if
> I am looking for information of a relative or an in-law. But if you do
> not want the relationship information, the home person just becomes
> another bookmark.
>
> Dave

Regards, Jk.

Re: How to 'unset' the home person?

Brad Rogers
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 09:39:34 -0500
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ron,

>But the first person added becomes the Home Person.

No, they don't.  Until one is set, there is _no_ home person.

I have a db with one person in it.  Clicking the home person button
results in a requester coming up with the following text (and a close
button);

You need to set a 'default person' to go to. Select the People View,
select the person you want as 'Home Person', then confirm your choice
via the menu Edit->Set Home Person.

--
 Regards  _
I can't relax 'cause I haven't done a thing

On 06/10/2017 09:48 AM, John W. Kitz wrote:

> Dave,
>
> On 2017-06-10 15:28, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Out of curiosity, why do you not want a home person?
>
> See my email in reply to Ron's. In addition as the number of individuals
> in my data grows it is becoming increasingly tedious to have to scroll
> either up or down from the home person to the intended individual to
> change his or her data, particularly when working on completing the data
> of individuals that are part of a relationship or their respective parents.
>
> Resetting the home person to a person closer to the individual being
> worked on every time this occurs does provide a solution of sorts, but
> after a while becomes equally tedious.

How about use bookmarks to speed the jumping around between people?

(What would *really* help is the ability to set Home Person from the
Relationships view!)

On 06/10/2017 09:51 AM, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 09:39:34 -0500
> Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Ron,
>
>> But the first person added becomes the Home Person.
> No, they don't.  Until one is set, there is _no_ home person.
>
> I have a db with one person in it.  Clicking the home person button
> results in a requester coming up with the following text (and a close
> button);
>
> You need to set a 'default person' to go to. Select the People View,
> select the person you want as 'Home Person', then confirm your choice
> via the menu Edit->Set Home Person.

Interesting.  It's been so long since I've created a new tree from scratch,
I guess I've forgotten.

Re: How to 'unset' the home person?

John W. Kitz-3
Dave (and all),

On 2017-06-10 16:35, John W. Kitz wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On 2017-06-10 14:58, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>> Using this delete home person method... you may want to create a new
>> person, set them as the home person and then delete. You would not
>> want to delete and recreate a person with lots of information.
>>
>> I thought you could export, not backup, and then import back into a
>> new database. I knew the gramps backup would not work. I just tried
>> the export to gramps non media. The export kept the home person record
>> when I imported. I didn't try any other export option.
>
> Per the above I just did an export and had a look at the resulting XML.
>
> I guess <people home="person-handle"></people> relates to setting the
> home person since it encloses the data of all the individuals in my
> data with the same last name as the home person. In addition the value
> of person-handle in the people record is the same as the value of the
> handle of the person currently set as home person.
>
> So I imagine an export and subsequent import ought to work if one
> deletes both the opening and closing people XML statements from ones
> data prior to import or may be just changing <people
> home="person-handle"></people>

Upon closer inspection of the XML the above is probably NOT a good idea.
The following or ONLY removing home="person-handle-value" MIGHT work,
but please note I haven't tested it and if I understand Ron's additional
response there will or ought to always be a home person, so Gramps may
reset some home person after importing the data even with the edited
people record without the home="person-handle-value" portion.

> to <people home=""></people> prior to
> import does the trick?

Regards, Jk.

Re: How to 'unset' the home person?

Rich Lakey
I have some 17,000 people and rarely scroll. Using the people view I use the search bar above to enter the name are partial name to get me to who I want. I then make that person the home person if I plan to work with them a bit. I might wonder off to that persons parents or siblings and having them as home person gets me back to the primary person I am working with.
If you have no home person where would you expect gramps to load so you didn't have to scroll? First person? That again might not be who you plan to work with.
Rich

On 2017-06-10 15:28, Dave Scheipers wrote:
Hi John,

[...]

Have you backed up your files today?

On 2017-06-10 16:56, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 06/10/2017 09:48 AM, John W. Kitz wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>> On 2017-06-10 15:28, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>> Out of curiosity, why do you not want a home person?
>>
>> See my email in reply to Ron's. In addition as the number of
>> individuals in my data grows it is becoming increasingly tedious to
>> have to scroll either up or down from the home person to the intended
>> individual to change his or her data, particularly when working on
>> completing the data of individuals that are part of a relationship or
>> their respective parents.
>>
>> Resetting the home person to a person closer to the individual being
>> worked on every time this occurs does provide a solution of sorts, but
>> after a while becomes equally tedious.
>
> How about use bookmarks to speed the jumping around between people?

Haven't used with those in Gramps. I'll look into them and see if they
make life a bit easier. Thanks for the tip. In the meantime I'll just
wear out the scroll wheel on my mouse : )

> (What would *really* help is the ability to set Home Person from the
> Relationships view!)

Regards, Jk.

Re: How to 'unset' the home person?

John W. Kitz-3
Rich,

On 2017-06-10 17:02, Rich wrote:
> I have some 17,000 people and rarely scroll. Using the people view I
> use the search bar above to enter the name are partial name to get me
> to who I want. I then make that person the home person if I plan to
> work with them a bit. I might wonder off to that persons parents or
> siblings and having them as home person gets me back to the primary
> person I am working with.
> If you have no home person where would you expect gramps to load so
> you didn't have to scroll? First person?

I guess with a completely unexpanded tree view as opposed to with a tree
view with one last name, the same one as the home person's, expanded,
since this would alleviate me from the task of closing the open node of
the last name of the home person, scrolling to the node where I need to
be, opening it, finding the right person, editing her or his data, and
so on.

> That again might not be who
> you plan to work with.
> Rich

Regards, Jk.

Re: How to 'unset' the home person?

Brad Rogers
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 09:58:12 -0500
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ron,

>Interesting.  It's been so long since I've created a new tree from
>scratch, I guess I've forgotten.

I had to create one, just to be 100% sure I was right.  I didn't want to
state it as a fact then be proved wrong.

It's happened before.....

--
 Regards  _
Watching the people get lairy

NdK

Il 10/06/2017 16:48, John W. Kitz ha scritto:

> See my email in reply to Ron's. In addition as the number of individuals
> in my data grows it is becoming increasingly tedious to have to scroll
> either up or down from the home person to the intended individual to
> change his or her data, particularly when working on completing the data
> of individuals that are part of a relationship or their respective parents.
That's why I usually do about 95% of my data entry from Graph View.
Since adding the "data entry" gramplet I rarely leave that view. Before
that it was a continuous switch from Graph View to relationships (to add
parents) and back.

BYtE,
 Diego

Re: How to 'unset' the home person?

Hi Ron

You can set a new Home Person  from the Relationship view. Select the desired person and open their edit screen. In any area that is NOT a data space, I usually use where the tags are displayed, Right-click and you'll see... Make Active Person... Make Home Person... and Quick Views.

Dave