Quantcast

How would I ???

Craig J. Anderson
I just received a descendant report that has about 30+ new people on it.  With Birthdates, that will give me 70+ entries into my database (marriages).  And I want all of them to have this document as a source.

How can I make the source and then have every update that I make automatically reference that source?

and if not, this would be a GREAT feature.  a lot of times there is a lot of new information from one source.

thanks.

  Craig A.

Re: How would I ???

Benny Malengier

2010/3/29 Craig J. Anderson <[hidden email]>
I just received a descendant report that has about 30+ new people on it.  With Birthdates, that will give me 70+ entries into my database (marriages).  And I want all of them to have this document as a source.

How can I make the source and then have every update that I make automatically reference that source?

and if not, this would be a GREAT feature.  a lot of times there is a lot of new information from one source.

This is the same discussion of two weeks ago with preset source.
Today, you need to use the clipboard (which you leave open) to do this quickly. One of the ideas was to add a clipboard button on all displaytabs, so on the sourcetab, you would have a button that on click drops down with all recently copied/used sources.

I am against some preset way (so seeing the source already on open new person), as that is just good for a workflow that happens only from time to time. I could image a world where a hotkey combo automatically adds a previously copied source/sourceref though.

Benny

thanks.

  Craig A.

Re: How would I ???

DS Blank
On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Craig J. Anderson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just received a descendant report that has about 30+ new people on it.
> With Birthdates, that will give me 70+ entries into my database
> (marriages).  And I want all of them to have this document as a source.
>
> How can I make the source and then have every update that I make
> automatically reference that source?

I don't think you can do that, but if you want the source connected to
the people, you can select the people with a filter and then use the
Attach Source Tool to attach it to them (or use the clipboard as Benny
says).

If you want it to be added to their events, then please make a feature
request and I will add that functionality to the Attach Source Tool.

-Doug

> and if not, this would be a GREAT feature.  a lot of times there is a lot of
> new information from one source.
>
> thanks.
>
>   Craig A.
>
> ________________________________
> Get started.

Re: How would I ???

lcc .
Hi Craig,

That is what we discussed here:

http://old.nabble.com/Source-dialog%3A-preserve-previous-selection-td27890444.html

I (and Nick H. and you, it seems) support the approach of a default
place/source being
presetable.

--lcc

On 3/29/10, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Craig J. Anderson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just received a descendant report that has about 30+ new people on it.
>> With Birthdates, that will give me 70+ entries into my database
>> (marriages).  And I want all of them to have this document as a source.
>>
>> How can I make the source and then have every update that I make
>> automatically reference that source?
>
> I don't think you can do that, but if you want the source connected to
> the people, you can select the people with a filter and then use the
> Attach Source Tool to attach it to them (or use the clipboard as Benny
> says).
>
> If you want it to be added to their events, then please make a feature
> request and I will add that functionality to the Attach Source Tool.
>
> -Doug
>
>> and if not, this would be a GREAT feature.  a lot of times there is a lot
>> of
>> new information from one source.
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>>   Craig A.
>>
>> ________________________________
>> The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox.
>> Get started.

Re: How would I ???

Nick Hall-6
As I said in that thread, I like the idea but I don't think a good
solution was suggested.

I asked for real-life examples, and this is a good one.

By selecting a line in the source view, you can now make a source the
active source.  I suggested that this could be a default.

The problem is that the active source could be set unintentionally, so
it would be unsafe to make a default entry using it.  Another issue is
that the default object cannot be de-selected.  We could use it to
pre-select an entry in the source selector though.

If we actually want to make a default entry then we need another way to
select a default.

Nick.

lcc . wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> That is what we discussed here:
>
> http://old.nabble.com/Source-dialog%3A-preserve-previous-selection-td27890444.html
>
> I (and Nick H. and you, it seems) support the approach of a default
> place/source being
> presetable.
>
> --lcc
>
> On 3/29/10, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Craig J. Anderson
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I just received a descendant report that has about 30+ new people on it.
>>> With Birthdates, that will give me 70+ entries into my database
>>> (marriages).  And I want all of them to have this document as a source.
>>>
>>> How can I make the source and then have every update that I make
>>> automatically reference that source?
>>>
>> I don't think you can do that, but if you want the source connected to
>> the people, you can select the people with a filter and then use the
>> Attach Source Tool to attach it to them (or use the clipboard as Benny
>> says).
>>
>> If you want it to be added to their events, then please make a feature
>> request and I will add that functionality to the Attach Source Tool.
>>
>> -Doug
>>

>>> and if not, this would be a GREAT feature.  a lot of times there is a lot
>>> of
>>> new information from one source.
>>>
>>> thanks.
>>>
>>>   Craig A.
>>>
>>> ________________________________
>>> The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox.
>>> Get started.

Re: How would I ???

lcc .
It could go under Preferences. A Preferences tab: "Default values".
Then a checkbox:
"Use default values". If it is checked, the Add/Share buttons below
become available,
with a default place, a default source, etc.

--lcc

On 3/29/10, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I said in that thread, I like the idea but I don't think a good
> solution was suggested.
>
> I asked for real-life examples, and this is a good one.
>
> By selecting a line in the source view, you can now make a source the
> active source.  I suggested that this could be a default.
>
> The problem is that the active source could be set unintentionally, so
> it would be unsafe to make a default entry using it.  Another issue is
> that the default object cannot be de-selected.  We could use it to
> pre-select an entry in the source selector though.
>
> If we actually want to make a default entry then we need another way to
> select a default.
>
> Nick.
>

> lcc . wrote:
>> Hi Craig,
>>
>> That is what we discussed here:
>>
>> http://old.nabble.com/Source-dialog%3A-preserve-previous-selection-td27890444.html
>>
>> I (and Nick H. and you, it seems) support the approach of a default
>> place/source being
>> presetable.
>>
>> --lcc
>>
>> On 3/29/10, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I don't think you can do that, but if you want the source connected to
>>> the people, you can select the people with a filter and then use the
>>> Attach Source Tool to attach it to them (or use the clipboard as Benny
>>> says).
>>>
>>> If you want it to be added to their events, then please make a feature
>>> request and I will add that functionality to the Attach Source Tool.
>>>
>>> -Doug

Re: How would I ???

Craig J. Anderson
I am sorry that I didn't know about the previous thread on this subject.
I have also gotten a large hand written genealogical pages written by my father.  And then I had to add sources to everything that I put in...  Family group pages, fan charts, etc.  But I did a page a day and got through it.

Either way, I envision some type of dialog box.  Make the source, select it in the dialog box, and then everything that you add gets the source in the dialog box added automatically.  I know the word 'dialog' is not correct.  But this box would be open (and have to be somewhat out of the way), the ENTIRE time you are entering data.  It would not re-open when starting gramps again.

Now instead of an actual form that is open the entire time, let there be a BIG note in the side bar (Repositories, Media, Notes, 'You have a presistant source ACTIVE').  Or even something in the toolbar.  I like the idea of the open window because *IT IS THERE*  It is harder to miss.  When you close the window, you stop the persistent source.

two (meager) cents.

  Craig A.

> Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 00:37:49 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-devel] How would I ???
>
> As I said in that thread, I like the idea but I don't think a good
> solution was suggested.
>
> I asked for real-life examples, and this is a good one.
>
> By selecting a line in the source view, you can now make a source the
> active source. I suggested that this could be a default.
>
> The problem is that the active source could be set unintentionally, so
> it would be unsafe to make a default entry using it. Another issue is
> that the default object cannot be de-selected. We could use it to
> pre-select an entry in the source selector though.
>
> If we actually want to make a default entry then we need another way to
> select a default.
>
> Nick.
>

> lcc . wrote:
> > Hi Craig,
> >
> > That is what we discussed here:
> >
> > http://old.nabble.com/Source-dialog%3A-preserve-previous-selection-td27890444.html
> >
> > I (and Nick H. and you, it seems) support the approach of a default
> > place/source being
> > presetable.
> >
> > --lcc
> >
> > On 3/29/10, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> I don't think you can do that, but if you want the source connected to
> >> the people, you can select the people with a filter and then use the
> >> Attach Source Tool to attach it to them (or use the clipboard as Benny
> >> says).
> >>
> >> If you want it to be added to their events, then please make a feature
> >> request and I will add that functionality to the Attach Source Tool.
> >>
> >> -Doug

Re: How would I ???

lcc .
We have some propositions now. Just want to make clear for Craig, this
is not only
for sources. Places and sources come to mind now, there should be more fields.

I don't much care about the interface, as long as we achieve the main
objective: turning
O(n) time complexity into O(1) for such situations, which is what
we're all interested
in.

--lcc

On 3/30/10, Craig J. Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am sorry that I didn't know about the previous thread on this subject.
> I have also gotten a large hand written genealogical pages written by my
> father.  And then I had to add sources to everything that I put in...
> Family group pages, fan charts, etc.  But I did a page a day and got through
> it.
>
> Either way, I envision some type of dialog box.  Make the source, select it
> in the dialog box, and then everything that you add gets the source in the
> dialog box added automatically.  I know the word 'dialog' is not correct.
> But this box would be open (and have to be somewhat out of the way), the
> ENTIRE time you are entering data.  It would not re-open when starting
> gramps again.
>
> Now instead of an actual form that is open the entire time, let there be a
> BIG note in the side bar (Repositories, Media, Notes, 'You have a presistant
> source ACTIVE').  Or even something in the toolbar.  I like the idea of the
> open window because *IT IS THERE*  It is harder to miss.  When you close the
> window, you stop the persistent source.
>
> two (meager) cents.
>
>   Craig A.
>
>> Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 00:37:49 +0100
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email];
>> [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Gramps-devel] How would I ???
>>
>> As I said in that thread, I like the idea but I don't think a good
>> solution was suggested.
>>
>> I asked for real-life examples, and this is a good one.
>>
>> By selecting a line in the source view, you can now make a source the
>> active source.  I suggested that this could be a default.
>>
>> The problem is that the active source could be set unintentionally, so
>> it would be unsafe to make a default entry using it.  Another issue is
>> that the default object cannot be de-selected.  We could use it to
>> pre-select an entry in the source selector though.
>>
>> If we actually want to make a default entry then we need another way to
>> select a default.
>>
>> Nick.
>>

>> lcc . wrote:
>> > Hi Craig,
>> >
>> > That is what we discussed here:
>> >
>> > http://old.nabble.com/Source-dialog%3A-preserve-previous-selection-td27890444.html
>> >
>> > I (and Nick H. and you, it seems) support the approach of a default
>> > place/source being
>> > presetable.
>> >
>> > --lcc

Re: How would I ???

Emmanuel Briot
> We have some propositions now. Just want to make clear for Craig, this
> is not only
> for sources. Places and sources come to mind now, there should be more fields.

I have started work on it, as per our previous design. Unfortunately, I am a bit
busy at work these days, so it will take a while to get the implementation done.