Hungaria (Website Generator) plugin for GRAMPS

Hungaria (Website Generator) plugin for GRAMPS

Danuvius
Greetings all!

I have just put up a first (pre-alpha) release of the Hungaria plugin:

http://gramps.aggotthonsch.com/

Hungaria is the successor of a set of XSLT stylesheets that I used in
the past to generate a more feature and media-rich website out of
GRAMPS' XML export of its database.

The website I linked to last time is still around:
http://csaladfa.aggotthonsch.com/
or
http://csaladfa.aggotthonsch.com/en/index.html

The Hungaria plugin does not yet output as detailed a website as the
above.  A demo (albeit with a different, smaller database) of it is
here:
http://gramps.aggotthonsch.com/demo/

As noted repeatedly all over the place... this is not yet ready for
serious use in generating real-world genealogy websites.  But if you
have the time and patience to download a 160.3 KB zip file, you could
play around with it and get some idea about its features and
functionality as it develops.

I am continuing work, and will make the occasional announcement here
when there are any big changes, or if there is something new and
exciting in the latest version just uploaded.

To those that actually look at the source code... don't write me off
as a lunatic.  While some of the deviations from more sensible
solutions are due to my own ignorance and a lack of detailed and
up-to-date GRAMPS API documentation, some deviations actually have
borderline sane reasons.

Regards,

Danuvius

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 3:12 AM, Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi again Danuvius, did you get a chance to add anything about this to
> the wiki? The most relevant page is probably:
> http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Third-party_Plugins or
> http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Old_Third-party_Plugins
>
> Even if you just give the project a name and link to a copy of the XSLT
> file - at least it won't get forgotten that way. This use of the gramps
> xml data opens up so many new possibilities to the project -
> interconnected websites anyone?
>
> Regards, Duncan
> --
> Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

Re: Hungaria (Website Generator) plugin for GRAMPS

Stéphane Charette-2
> The website I linked to last time is still around:
> http://csaladfa.aggotthonsch.com/
> or
> http://csaladfa.aggotthonsch.com/en/index.html

Things I especially like that I wouldn't mind seeing in the NarrativeWeb plugin:

1) mouseover pictures

2) quick access to certain not-directly-linked family members:
2.1) aunts & uncles
2.2) cousins
2.3) distant relatives

3) clicking on the thumbnail brings up a popup full-size image

4) the fact that the thumbnail is a crop of the image, not just a
thumbnail of the full image

5) the ability to have multiple languages available at once

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, all of these things can be
seen from this example page:

    http://csaladfa.aggotthonsch.com/en/person_I0034.html

Stéphane

Re: Hungaria (Website Generator) plugin for GRAMPS

Duncan Lithgow-2
2008/8/23 Stéphane Charette <[hidden email]>:
>> The website I linked to last time is still around:
>> http://csaladfa.aggotthonsch.com/
>> or
>> http://csaladfa.aggotthonsch.com/en/index.html
>

> Things I especially like that I wouldn't mind seeing in the NarrativeWeb plugin:
>
> 1) mouseover pictures
That would require including javascript. So far that has not been
included, but it's easy enough to do.

> 2) quick access to certain not-directly-linked family members:
Why?

> 3) clicking on the thumbnail brings up a popup full-size image
Easy. Are you sure it doesn't do this now. It does for me, see:
http://lithgow-schmidt.dk/genealogy/img/a/d/ad463cf28dc02248b98.html

> 4) the fact that the thumbnail is a crop of the image, not just a
> thumbnail of the full image
I don't think that's possible without server side work. Anyone know?

> 5) the ability to have multiple languages available at once
I can't see this being realistic without server side work. But if we
accept that PHP (for example) is required for a version of the website
then it's not all that hard to do.

> For those of you who haven't seen it yet, all of these things can be
> seen from this example page:
>    http://csaladfa.aggotthonsch.com/en/person_I0034.html
And it's really fantastic! I look formard to trying this out on my
database when I get time.

Duncan

Re: Hungaria (Website Generator) plugin for GRAMPS

Stéphane Charette-2
>> 3) clicking on the thumbnail brings up a popup full-size image
> Easy. Are you sure it doesn't do this now. It does for me, see:
> http://lithgow-schmidt.dk/genealogy/img/a/d/ad463cf28dc02248b98.html

No, what you are seeing is something I implemented a while ago.  The
image is resized to something like 800x600 in the web page, and if you
click on it the browser loads the image directly, allowing you to see
the original resolution.  This is not at all the same thing.

What he's implemented is a popup above the web page, whereby clicking
on the thumbnail (which is a thumbnail of a region, not a thumbnail of
the entire image) pops up a temporary window that shows the entire
image while the page in the background is "grayed out".  Must nicer
than what I implemented a little while ago.

>> 4) the fact that the thumbnail is a crop of the image, not just a
>> thumbnail of the full image
> I don't think that's possible without server side work. Anyone know?

This wouldn't require any server side work.  What it would require is
one of two things:

1) fancy javascript that would know what region of a full image to
display as the thumbnail

2) or, for the NarrativeWeb plugin to generate the necessary
thumbnails statically at the time the web pages are created.

Solution #1 may slow the browser down a little (full images need to be
loaded, then the javascript/css crops or displays just the necessary
portion.

Solution #2 doesn't slow down the browser, but could make the web site
larger in size and may take slightly longer to generate.

>> 5) the ability to have multiple languages available at once
> I can't see this being realistic without server side work. But if we

Again, no server side work is required for this to work.  If you look
at how he's implemented it, the URL contains the standard 2-letter
language code.  So the site is actually generated several times in all
the languages the user selects.  In my case, most of my family is
French, I wouldn't mind a slightly larger web site if it meant it was
displayed both in French and English.  The links in the upper-right
corner (or wherever) conveniently provide a way for the users to
switch between languages.

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 10:53 PM, Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2008/8/23 Stéphane Charette <[hidden email]>:
>> Things I especially like that I wouldn't mind seeing in the NarrativeWeb plugin:
>>
>> 2) quick access to certain not-directly-linked family members:
> Why?

Without knowing for certain why Stéphane likes this feature, let me
tell you why I included it:

My family is rather broadly spaced (significant people and families in
Canada, Germany and Hungary... and related individuals in Bulgaria,
Russia, and the Czech Republic) and has numerous largely unconnected
branches.

Members of the Aggott families (my birth-paternal family) have no real
relationship/contact with the Hönsch families (my adoptive-paternal
family).  The Sillye families are related to the Hönsch families
through maternal ancestry, and so their links to what I consider my
website's "focus" families are weaker (but still there), et cetera.

Despite these and other groups being disconnected, obviously, since
they are in my database, they have something common.  And that
something isn't simply dead ancestors, but also living aunts and
uncles, grand-aunts and grand-uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews, et
cetera.  In my view, a person viewing their own page, and seeing the
list of people they are related to in this way or that is likely to
pull people closer together, even if only in mindset.

The website not only shows you that so and so (who you may not have
met, but who might live just a bus-rise away, and is the son of your
favourite cousin) is part of your extended family, but (assuming
there's a picture) does so by putting a face to the name.

Re: Hungaria (Website Generator) plugin for GRAMPS

Danuvius
On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Stéphane Charette
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Again, no server side work is required for this to work.  If you look
> at how he's implemented it, the URL contains the standard 2-letter
> language code.  So the site is actually generated several times in all
> the languages the user selects.  In my case, most of my family is
> French, I wouldn't mind a slightly larger web site if it meant it was
> displayed both in French and English.  The links in the upper-right
> corner (or wherever) conveniently provide a way for the users to
> switch between languages.
>
>>> For those of you who haven't seen it yet, all of these things can be
>>> seen from this example page:
>>>    http://csaladfa.aggotthonsch.com/en/person_I0034.html
>
> Stéphane

I'd just like to confirm that indeed the currently generated
demonstration websites have no server-side components *at all*.

Down the road, there might be a "Generate PHP" option which does.
Server-side work could allow greater control over privacy options
(have to login to view detailed information about living people);
reduce the duplication of HTML code due to multiple languages used;
offer search functionality; offer some sort of "submit additional
info/pictures about this person" to encourage others to get involved
in your genealogical work (I'm thinking website submission sent to
website owner by email, since the data should go into GRAMPS); offer
reminders of birthdays and anniversaries; et cetera.

I do not anticipate starting any work on PHP generation until the HTML
generated websites are basically complete though.

Danuvius

Re: Hungaria (Website Generator) plugin for GRAMPS

Martin Steer-2
Danuvius <[hidden email]> writes:

> [snip]
>
> As noted repeatedly all over the place... this is not yet ready for
> serious use in generating real-world genealogy websites.  But if you
> have the time and patience to download a 160.3 KB zip file, you could
> play around with it and get some idea about its features and
> functionality as it develops.

I'm not sure whether you want bug reports, or if you want them sent
here, but anyway...

Gramps 3.0.1-1 on Arch Linux
The plugin crashes with the following error:

18662: ERROR: _ReportDialog.py: line 335: Failed to run report.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/gramps/ReportBase/_ReportDialog.py", line 310, in report
    MyReport.write_report()
  File "/home/martin/.gramps/plugins/Hungaria.py", line 968, in write_report
    self.generate_personlistpage(EN)
  File "/home/martin/.gramps/plugins/Hungaria.py", line 1087, in generate_personlistpage
    of.write(self.make_personlink(person, '', lang))
  File "/home/martin/.gramps/plugins/Hungaria.py", line 845, in make_personlink
    output = '<a href="' + person.get_gramps_id() + '.' + self.opts['ext'].lower() + '">' + self.get_displayname(person) + '</a> [' + self.get_birthyear(person) + ']'
  File "/home/martin/.gramps/plugins/Hungaria.py", line 629, in get_displayname
    if self.is_eastern_name_order(self.get_name_format(_nd.get_name_format(), person.get_primary_name().get_display_as())[2]) and self.opts['eastern_nameorder'] == True:
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is unsubscriptable

--
Martin

2008/8/24 Danuvius <[hidden email]>:
> I'd just like to confirm that indeed the currently generated
> demonstration websites have no server-side components *at all*.

Hi Danuvius. If all this can be done in without server side work -
what is doing it? I can't see anything in the html or css of the page
that explains to me how it's done. Could you give me some hints? I
like CSS, ubt if all this is possible with XSLT then I want to learn
how!

Duncan

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2008/8/24 Danuvius <[hidden email]>:
>> I'd just like to confirm that indeed the currently generated
>> demonstration websites have no server-side components *at all*.
>
> Hi Danuvius. If all this can be done in without server side work -
> what is doing it? I can't see anything in the html or css of the page
> that explains to me how it's done. Could you give me some hints? I
> like CSS, ubt if all this is possible with XSLT then I want to learn
> how!
>
> Duncan

I am not sure, Duncan, which part of the website you thought required
server side work; so I'll try to address everything I can think of.

Thumbnails

Firstly, I should mention, the XSLT stuff is what I originally used,
because I did not have experience with GRAMPS plugin programming.
Hungaria in its current state and in the future does not use XSLT, and
is just a plain old Python-based GRAMPS plugin.

The way the original set of XSLT scripts, dubbed Dentumogeria, worked
was by running the XSLT scripts offline to generate static HTML
websites.  Dentumogeria also did not involve any automatic creation of
thumbnails.  It simply assumed that the very first image would be a
thumbnail, and the second image would be the large version of said
thumbnail.

HOWEVER...

Hungaria *does* generate its thumbnails, and does so by using the
"referenced region" feature of GRAMPS.  Picture resizing is part of
the python libraries some GRAMPS plugins already use; so Hungaria
assumes that the first picture for any given person will have the
"referenced region" set to what the preview thumbnail should be.  The
full size image is subsequently used on the person's profile page.

On this page: http://gramps.aggotthonsch.com/demo/en/index.html
mouseover "AGGOTT Attila" to see the thumbnail, and click on the link
to see the full image on the right side.  Again, I emphasize that both
the preview thumbnail and the image on the right are generated by
Hungaria when you run it, from a single image in GRAMPS.

So basically the thumbnail generation happens at the same time as the
website generation--when you run the Hungaria plugin from gramps.
Also, obviously the mouseover displaying of the thumbnail is done
using javascript.

Smaller/Larger Pictures

This is basically something that only shows in the old Dentumogeria
generated website yet, but will be a part of Hungaria too.  Pictures
will be resized to comfortably fit into the page, but clicking on them
will give a larger version.  In fact, if a database links to very
large pictures, the original size picture could even be made available
through a special link... with the idea that while it is too large to
comfortably view online, it could be photo printed.

Of course, the resizing of the picture to different sizes is something
that will be done at website-generation time, just like with the
thumbnails.

Multiple languages

HTML files are simply generated separately for websites in different
languages, and links are put into each page that allow simple
switching between languages.

This does mean that there is quite a lot of duplication... but only
textual data is duplicated, so the impact is negligable so long as you
are not trying to fit the website onto a floppy disk.

Take a look:

Bulgarian: http://gramps.aggotthonsch.com/demo/bg/I0019.html
German: http://gramps.aggotthonsch.com/demo/de/I0019.html
English: http://gramps.aggotthonsch.com/demo/en/I0019.html
Hungarian: http://gramps.aggotthonsch.com/demo/hu/I0019.html
Russian: http://gramps.aggotthonsch.com/demo/ru/I0019.html
Chinese: http://gramps.aggotthonsch.com/demo/zh/I0019.html

See, they are files with the same name, but in different
directories... and all of them are static, non-server-executed HTML
files.

The only advantage I could see to doing things on the server-side with
regards to multiple languages (and I might try this down the road with
PHP) is that data duplication could be minimized, and automatic
machine translations could be yanked for stuff that wasn't already
translated by the user in the GRAMPS database.

---

Please let me know if I failed to address something you were curious
about, or if something I wrote is less than clear.

Sincerely,

Danuvius

2008/8/24 Martin Steer <[hidden email]>
Danuvius <[hidden email]> writes:

> [snip]
>
> As noted repeatedly all over the place... this is not yet ready for
> serious use in generating real-world genealogy websites.  But if you
> have the time and patience to download a 160.3 KB zip file, you could
> play around with it and get some idea about its features and
> functionality as it develops.

I'm not sure whether you want bug reports, or if you want them sent
here, but anyway...

Gramps 3.0.1-1 on Arch Linux
The plugin crashes with the following error:

18662: ERROR: _ReportDialog.py: line 335: Failed to run report.
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/share/gramps/ReportBase/_ReportDialog.py", line 310, in report
   MyReport.write_report()
 File "/home/martin/.gramps/plugins/Hungaria.py", line 968, in write_report
   self.generate_personlistpage(EN)
 File "/home/martin/.gramps/plugins/Hungaria.py", line 1087, in generate_personlistpage
   of.write(self.make_personlink(person, '', lang))
 File "/home/martin/.gramps/plugins/Hungaria.py", line 845, in make_personlink
   output = '<a href="' + person.get_gramps_id() + '.' + self.opts['ext'].lower() + '">' + self.get_displayname(person) + '</a> [' + self.get_birthyear(person) + ']'
 File "/home/martin/.gramps/plugins/Hungaria.py", line 629, in get_displayname
   if self.is_eastern_name_order(self.get_name_format(_nd.get_name_format(), person.get_primary_name().get_display_as())[2]) and self.opts['eastern_nameorder'] == True:
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is unsubscriptable

Martin, check if your database is not to blame.

1/export to .gramps format to have a backup
2/in Tools run  'rebuild reference tables'
3/in Tools run  'rebuild secondqry indexes'
4/in Tools run  'check and repair'

If the problem still occurs, then yes, a bug in the plugin

Martin

Re: Hungaria (Website Generator) plugin for GRAMPS

Danuvius
Sorry, Martin.  I meant to reply earlier.

This is almost certainly a plugin error.  I'm guessing that it is
related to the fact that some of your entered individuals have blank
family names or given names.

Sincerely,

Danuvius

Re: Hungaria (Website Generator) plugin for GRAMPS

Doug-11
Danuvius wrote:

> Greetings all!
>
> I have just put up a first (pre-alpha) release of the Hungaria plugin:
>
> http://gramps.aggotthonsch.com/
>
> Hungaria is the successor of a set of XSLT stylesheets that I used in
> the past to generate a more feature and media-rich website out of
> GRAMPS' XML export of its database.
>
> The website I linked to last time is still around:
> http://csaladfa.aggotthonsch.com/
> or
> http://csaladfa.aggotthonsch.com/en/index.html
>
> The Hungaria plugin does not yet output as detailed a website as the
> above.  A demo (albeit with a different, smaller database) of it is
> here:
> http://gramps.aggotthonsch.com/demo/
>
> As noted repeatedly all over the place... this is not yet ready for
> serious use in generating real-world genealogy websites.  But if you
> have the time and patience to download a 160.3 KB zip file, you could
> play around with it and get some idea about its features and
> functionality as it develops.
>
> I am continuing work, and will make the occasional announcement here
> when there are any big changes, or if there is something new and
> exciting in the latest version just uploaded.
>
> To those that actually look at the source code... don't write me off
> as a lunatic.  While some of the deviations from more sensible
> solutions are due to my own ignorance and a lack of detailed and
> up-to-date GRAMPS API documentation, some deviations actually have
> borderline sane reasons.
>
> Regards,
>
> Danuvius

Hi, Danuvius,

Please continue with your development work - it's a very nice plugin indeed!

Doug

"Benny Malengier" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Martin, check if your database is not to blame.
>
> 1/export to .gramps format to have a backup
> 2/in Tools run  'rebuild reference tables'
> 3/in Tools run  'rebuild secondqry indexes'
> 4/in Tools run  'check and repair'
>
> If the problem still occurs, then yes, a bug in the plugin

Yes, the problem remains. And yes, some of my entries have blank names.

There is another problem. Using the cancel button to exit the bug report
screen brings up a (stalled) website generation progress bar. I see no
way to get rid of it except to restart gramps.

--
Martin

Re: Hungaria (Website Generator) plugin for GRAMPS

Danuvius
That second part is doubtless also my fault.  I apologize... I'll try
to figure out what the proper way to deal with unexpected cancellation
is, with regards to the progress bar.

Unfortunately a lot of GRAMPS plugin programming I am finding I have
to figure out by conjecture from peaking at the Narrative Web plugin,
and therefore some of my efforts end up being a tad haphazard.

I'll let you know once I address this issue.

Sincerely,

Danuvius

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 3:52 AM, Martin Steer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Benny Malengier" <[hidden email]> writes:
>

>> Martin, check if your database is not to blame.
>>
>> 1/export to .gramps format to have a backup
>> 2/in Tools run  'rebuild reference tables'
>> 3/in Tools run  'rebuild secondqry indexes'
>> 4/in Tools run  'check and repair'
>>
>> If the problem still occurs, then yes, a bug in the plugin
>
> Yes, the problem remains. And yes, some of my entries have blank names.
>
> There is another problem. Using the cancel button to exit the bug report
> screen brings up a (stalled) website generation progress bar. I see no
> way to get rid of it except to restart gramps.
>
> --
> Martin

Re: Hungaria (Website Generator) plugin for GRAMPS

Duncan Lithgow-2
2008/8/24 Danuvius <[hidden email]>:
> I am not sure, Duncan, which part of the website you thought required
> server side work; so I'll try to address everything I can think of.
Thanks for that reply with explanations. The only thing I still don't
understand (and can't find an example of now) was that in the original
website the content at the bottom of the page changed depending on
what I selected. There was aunts/uncles and so on. Was that just CSS
based hiding of content? I couldn't find any advanced CSS rules....

Duncan

Re: Hungaria (Website Generator) plugin for GRAMPS

Danuvius
The content-hiding was javascript+css based.  Mootools, I believe.