Quantcast

I've done something silly to my data. HELP!

I've done something silly to my data. HELP!

Martnal
This post was updated on .
I was making a routine back up of several important collections of photographs and data to a DVD. This only filled up half the disc, so I added the complete GRAMPS directory. My DVD burning program alerted me to the fact that some files were not available. This was because I had GRAMPS running. I told my burning program to ignore those files. When I next tried to use GRAMPS I got an error message referring to the underlying Berkeley database. Screenshot of the error message attached. I get a message telling me that the database is locked, but I don't get a screen allowing me to unlock it.

"Error parsing arguements, Database is locked, cannot open it!"

I tried rebooting the PC but nothing changed. Help....!  None of my trees are visible.  I'm using Windows 10.  GRAMPS  4.2.5-3.

I have found this following advice, but it made no difference, and my 'new' recovery database didn't appear, nor any of my real ones.  I've had a locked database before, but I have never (appeared) to have lost them all.  I got as far as step 11, but saw no database names.
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recover_corrupted_family_tree

Martin, panicking,,,

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: I've done something silly to my data. HELP! (Own Update)

Martnal
This post was updated on .
The recovery worked, once I spotted the typo in my Family Tree Database Path.  (2 hours wasted!!)  (PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer).

I have about 10 "Open recent" files listed, but some of them are non-existent 'ghost' entries, and one appears twice.  The ghost and duplicate entries do not appear in the "Manage Trees" window.

How can I clear those, please?

Martin

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: I've done something silly to my data. HELP!

It is hard to imagine what a DVD burner could have done to hurt your Gramps installation, unless you specified to 'Move' the files instead of 'copy' them.

If that was the case, then you have effectively deleted some or all of the Gramps files.

Look in the "c:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\gramps" directory.  It should contain another subdirectory 'grampsdb' which in turn contains a number of additional directories with 8 character names.  One for each family tree you originally had.
Each of these contains around 34 files with the actual family tree data.

If any or all of this is not present, you probably did a 'move' in the DVD burn step.  If this is the case, you may be able to recover by getting your data from the DVD and copying it back.

I note (from your other email) that you do have some other backups from somewhere else, please take steps to make sure they are not lost before doing anything.

You can try to find the gramps files on the DVD and just copy over the matching positions in the \AppData\Roaming\gramps directory.  If that works, great, if it fails, I would remove all of the gramps directory and let Gramps create these again with a fresh startup.  And use your backup to continue working.

Paul C.

<http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/n4679966/GRAMPS_database_error.jpg>

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: I've done something silly to my data. HELP!

Martnal
Paul, hello, thanks for your reply.  I don't think we have 'met' before.

Nothing was missing.  I had replied to my own email to say that I had
recovered the files, (perhaps it didn't get to the distribution list in
time) but I still have spurious entries on the 'Recent Files' menu.
Have you any suggestions for clearing that list?

A typo in my database path wasted two hours while I tried to fix the
problem.  I learned a lot yesterday, so it was a successful experience,
IN A WAY!

It is possible my backup program tried to move rather than copy some
files.  No more multi-tasking for me!

Martin

On 16/05/2017 21:39, Paul Culley wrote:

> It is hard to imagine what a DVD burner could have done to hurt your
> Gramps installation, unless you specified to 'Move' the files instead
> of 'copy' them.
>
> If that was the case, then you have effectively deleted some or all of
> the Gramps files.
>
> Look in the "c:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\gramps" directory.  It
> should contain another subdirectory 'grampsdb' which in turn contains
> a number of additional directories with 8 character names.  One for
> each family tree you originally had.
> Each of these contains around 34 files with the actual family tree data.
>
> If any or all of this is not present, you probably did a 'move' in the
> DVD burn step.  If this is the case, you may be able to recover by
> getting your data from the DVD and copying it back.
>
> I note (from your other email) that you do have some other backups
> from somewhere else, please take steps to make sure they are not lost
> before doing anything.
>
> You can try to find the gramps files on the DVD and just copy over the
> matching positions in the \AppData\Roaming\gramps directory.  If that
> works, great, if it fails, I would remove all of the gramps directory
> and let Gramps create these again with a fresh startup.  And use your
> backup to continue working.
>
> Paul C.
>
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 7:53 AM, Martnal <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I was making a routine back up of several important collections of
>     photographs and data to a DVD. This only filled up half the disc,
>     so I added
>     the complete GRAMPS directory. My DVD burning program alerted me
>     to the fact
>     that some files were not available. This was because I had GRAMPS
>     running. I
>     told my burning program to ignore those files. When I next tried
>     to use
>     GRAMPS I got an error message referring to the underlying Berkeley
>     database.
>     Screenshot of the error message attached. I get a message telling
>     me that
>     the database is locked, but I don't get a screen allowing me to
>     unlock it.
>     I tried rebooting the PC but nothing changed. Help....!
>
>     <http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/n4679966/GRAMPS_database_error.jpg
>     <http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/n4679966/GRAMPS_database_error.jpg>>
>

>     -----
>

>     Martin, SW London
>
>     I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.
>
>     I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool),
>     Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London),
>     Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett
>     (Middlesborough and Prescot).
>     --

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´         Martin*´¨)
                                  ¸.·´¸.·*´¨)   ¸.·*¨)
                                 (¸.·´      (¸.·´

---

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: I've done something silly to my data. HELP!

prculley
Regarding recent files; "c:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\gramps\recent-files-gramps.xml" contains the list.  It is a text file, so can be opened with notepad, although if you open it with more sophisticated editors, it might show up with XML highlighting.

You can just delete it, and Gramps will re-create it the next time you open one or more trees.  Or you can carefully delete specific entries (all lines between and including <RecentItem>... </RecentItem>).

Paul C.

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 7:53 AM, Martnal <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Paul, that was excellent.  Thank you.  I tried both ways, for the
experience.

Martin

On 17/05/2017 15:04, Paul Culley wrote:

> [...]
>             the database is locked, but I don't get a screen allowing
>         me to
>             unlock it.
>             I tried rebooting the PC but nothing changed. Help....!
>

>         <http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/n4679966/GRAMPS_database_error.jpg
>         <http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/n4679966/GRAMPS_database_error.jpg>
>
>         <http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/n4679966/GRAMPS_database_error.jpg
>         <http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/n4679966/GRAMPS_database_error.jpg>>>
>

>             -----
>

>             Martin, SW London
>
>             I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.
>
>             I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and
>         Hartlepool),
>             Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E.
>         London),
>             Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett

*´¨)