ID Numbers

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi All
Once again we seem to be discussing custom ID number format I have these
turned off in the views as irrelevant. I assumed because I am from a
Microsoft Access background that these were like the Autonumber and
merely used as hooks for linking the various tables and of no
significance in terms of the "real information"
Am I missing something important/obvious here

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

Re: ID Numbers

Nick Hall
On 25/10/2018 20:16, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:
> Once again we seem to be discussing custom ID number format I have
> these turned off in the views as irrelevant. I assumed because I am
> from a Microsoft Access background that these were like the Autonumber
> and merely used as hooks for linking the various tables and of no
> significance in terms of the "real information"
> Am I missing something important/obvious here

The Gramps ID is not the primary key in the tables.  We refer to the
primary key as a handle, and it is not visible to users.

The Gramps ID is a unique identifier which can either be generated by
Gramps or assigned be the user.  There is an index on the ID so that it
can be used to jump to an object quickly.

Re: ID Numbers

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi Nick
Thanks for that confirma my decision have used similar ideas on
maintenance management and finance systems both of which left me
underwhelmed. May live to regret but will see

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 25/10/2018 20:34, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 25/10/2018 20:16, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:
>> Once again we seem to be discussing custom ID number format I have
>> these turned off in the views as irrelevant. I assumed because I am
>> from a Microsoft Access background that these were like the Autonumber
>> and merely used as hooks for linking the various tables and of no
>> significance in terms of the "real information"
>> Am I missing something important/obvious here
>
> The Gramps ID is not the primary key in the tables.  We refer to the
> primary key as a handle, and it is not visible to users.
>
> The Gramps ID is a unique identifier which can either be generated by
> Gramps or assigned be the user.  There is an index on the ID so that it
> can be used to jump to an object quickly.
>
> Nick.

Re: ID Numbers

Sebastian Schubert
On 25/10/2018 21:34, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 25/10/2018 20:16, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:
>> Once again we seem to be discussing custom ID number format I have
>> these turned off in the views as irrelevant. I assumed because I am
>> from a Microsoft Access background that these were like the Autonumber
>> and merely used as hooks for linking the various tables and of no
>> significance in terms of the "real information"
>> Am I missing something important/obvious here
>
> The Gramps ID is not the primary key in the tables.  We refer to the
> primary key as a handle, and it is not visible to users.
>
> The Gramps ID is a unique identifier which can either be generated by
> Gramps or assigned be the user.  There is an index on the ID so that it
> can be used to jump to an object quickly.

Is there a reason for applying a custom ID instead of using the default
one? If I remember correctly, some time ago, someone stated that the IDs
are not guaranteed to be the same after an xml backup. I might be wrong
here. In any way, the existence of the ID reorder tool seems to indicate
that the ID is only meant as a simple reference.

Personally, I've never used the ID field in the editor window. Well, I
used it but then only by mistake, pasting a date into the field. Would
it make sense to make the ID non-editable? This would result in a
simpler editor window.

Or if you think that the ID is important, it should not change. If this
is the case, one could use it as an identifier for documents, pictures etc.

Cheers
Sebastian

Re: ID Numbers

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 11:56:27 +0200
Sebastian Schubert <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Sebastian,

>it make sense to make the ID non-editable?

No.

Some people want to assign IDs based on criteria that may not be easy
for anyone else to determine.

--
 Regards  _
If we're working class, why ain't we got jobs?