IMPORTANT: Recent mailing list problems

Nick Hall
Devs,

We have started to experience problems on the mailing lists due to the
recent Yahoo DMARC policy change.

http://yahoomail.tumblr.com/post/82426900353/yahoo-dmarc-policy-change-what-should-senders-do

This is causing accounts to be disabled due to excessive bounces. Also,
some users will no longer receive posts originating from Yahoo accounts.

I have opened a ticket with SourceForge:

#7413 Mailing list problems due to Yahoo DMARC policy change
https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/site-support/7413/

For a quick fix, I could make the lists anonymous so that the list
address appears in the "From" field.

Brian has suggested that we may wish to consider other options such as
forums or Google+ rather than mailing lists.

What do you think we should do?

Re: IMPORTANT: Recent mailing list problems

Luigi Toscano
Nick Hall ha scritto:

> Devs,
>
> We have started to experience problems on the mailing lists due to the
> recent Yahoo DMARC policy change.
>
> http://yahoomail.tumblr.com/post/82426900353/yahoo-dmarc-policy-change-what-should-senders-do
>
> This is causing accounts to be disabled due to excessive bounces. Also,
> some users will no longer receive posts originating from Yahoo accounts.
>
> I have opened a ticket with SourceForge:
>
> #7413 Mailing list problems due to Yahoo DMARC policy change
> https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/site-support/7413/
>
> For a quick fix, I could make the lists anonymous so that the list
> address appears in the "From" field.
>
> Brian has suggested that we may wish to consider other options such as
> forums or Google+ rather than mailing lists.

I'm just a translator here, and not the most active one, but I think that:
- given the impact of this issue, it is likely that will be fixed by
sourceforge admins
- forums vs mailing list is a long debate, I'm in the "mailing lists are
better", and anyway, nabble allows to access mailing lists as forums.
- google+, please no (email and mailing lists are still the good combination;
google+ communities requires a google+ account I guess?)

Ciao
--
Luigi

Re: IMPORTANT: Recent mailing list problems

John Ralls-2

On Apr 21, 2014, at 10:32 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Devs,
>
> We have started to experience problems on the mailing lists due to the
> recent Yahoo DMARC policy change.
>
> http://yahoomail.tumblr.com/post/82426900353/yahoo-dmarc-policy-change-what-should-senders-do
>
> This is causing accounts to be disabled due to excessive bounces. Also,
> some users will no longer receive posts originating from Yahoo accounts.
>
> I have opened a ticket with SourceForge:
>
> #7413 Mailing list problems due to Yahoo DMARC policy change
> https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/site-support/7413/
>
> For a quick fix, I could make the lists anonymous so that the list
> address appears in the "From" field.
>
> Brian has suggested that we may wish to consider other options such as
> forums or Google+ rather than mailing lists.
>
> What do you think we should do?

You can also turn of bounce processing so that the bounce messages don’t disable accounts.

Switching on from_is_list in MailMan 2.1.16 or later is MailMan’s recommended action; 2.1.18 will have another option that does it only for DMARC-filtering addresses. The downside of from_is_list is that it makes it difficult to reply only to the author of a mail; the benefit is that it’s difficult to do that by mistake or out of ignorance.

As for web fora and G+ groups: Yuk.

Regards,
John Ralls

On 21/04/14 19:42, John Ralls wrote:
>> What do you think we should do?
>> >
> You can also turn of bounce processing so that the bounce messages don’t disable accounts.

This would prevent accounts being disabled, but messages from Yahoo
accounts would still not be delivered.  We could also continue to
deliver to accounts that should genuinely be disabled.

In the short term, this does seem like a good option though.

> Switching on from_is_list in MailMan 2.1.16 or later is MailMan’s recommended action; 2.1.18 will have another option that does it only for DMARC-filtering addresses. The downside of from_is_list is that it makes it difficult to reply only to the author of a mail; the benefit is that it’s difficult to do that by mistake or out of ignorance.

Hopefully SourceForge will upgrade Mailman quickly.   I have had no
response from them yet.