Image Format

Keith Jacobs
I have unwittingly been storing images with the JPG extension and I now
find that to get them visible in the Media View they should be saved
with the extension JPEG.

So far I have not found a suitable Linux Image Manipulator to convert
them to JPEG so is it possible to adapt Gramps to list the images in JPG
format?

Thank you.

--
Regards
Keith Jacobs

Re: Image Format

adrian.davey
As far as I am aware, I don't think this has anything to do with gramps
- I think it is a function of your operating system's default software
for the viewing etc of jpg or jpeg files. You should not need to rename
any of the files.

I am on Win10, with all the raster image formats I use set in the o/s
with my preferred software as the default program for that filetype for
viewing, editing, printing etc. Whenever I view a raster image in
gramps, it simply calls that external program.

I suggest you look around in the linux settings for file associations -
all you really need is to tell the system that a jpg is exactly the same
as a jpeg except that the extension is different!

Adrian Davey

On 2019-05-03 15:27, Keith Jacobs wrote:

> I have unwittingly been storing images with the JPG extension and I now
> find that to get them visible in the Media View they should be saved
> with the extension JPEG.
>
> So far I have not found a suitable Linux Image Manipulator to convert
> them to JPEG so is it possible to adapt Gramps to list the images in JPG
> format?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Regards
> Keith Jacobs

Re: Image Format

Keith Jacobs
In Gramps Media View the list of images is displayed at the top and
below is a Tab for "Media Preview" and where a see just a "Red X" and
not the image.

Double click on one of the images from the list opens another window and
in Preview I see the same "Red X" and below that Gramps shows 'JPEG Image'

I am using Linux Mint 19.

Regards
Keith Jacobs

On 03/05/2019 06:46, Adrian Davey wrote:

> As far as I am aware, I don't think this has anything to do with
> gramps - I think it is a function of your operating system's default
> software for the viewing etc of jpg or jpeg files. You should not need
> to rename any of the files.
>
> I am on Win10, with all the raster image formats I use set in the o/s
> with my preferred software as the default program for that filetype
> for viewing, editing, printing etc. Whenever I view a raster image in
> gramps, it simply calls that external program.
>
> I suggest you look around in the linux settings for file associations
> - all you really need is to tell the system that a jpg is exactly the
> same as a jpeg except that the extension is different!
>
> Adrian Davey
>
> On 2019-05-03 15:27, Keith Jacobs wrote:
>> I have unwittingly been storing images with the JPG extension and I now
>> find that to get them visible in the Media View they should be saved
>> with the extension JPEG.
>>
>> So far I have not found a suitable Linux Image Manipulator to convert
>> them to JPEG so is it possible to adapt Gramps to list the images in JPG
>> format?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Keith Jacobs

Re: Image Format

ceperman
I'm using Linux Mint 18.3 with Gramps 4.2.2. All my images are stored with a jpg extension and work just fine. I've done nothing special to make this happen.

In the Media View, all images show as type: image/jpeg, even though as I said, they all have an extension of .jpg.

I tend to agree with the previous responder that this has nothing to do with Gramps. I can't say I know quite how Linux decides the file type, but it's not just, if at all, from the file extension. Try the "file" command to see what Linux thinks they are.

Chris Wood

On Fri, 3 May 2019 at 07:01, Keith Jacobs <[hidden email]> wrote:
In Gramps Media View the list of images is displayed at the top and
below is a Tab for "Media Preview" and where a see just a "Red X" and
not the image.

Double click on one of the images from the list opens another window and
in Preview I see the same "Red X" and below that Gramps shows 'JPEG Image'

I am using Linux Mint 19.

Regards
Keith Jacobs

Re: Image Format

Peter Merchant
On 03/05/2019 07:00, Keith Jacobs wrote:

> In Gramps Media View the list of images is displayed at the top and
> below is a Tab for "Media Preview" and where a see just a "Red X" and
> not the image.
>
> Double click on one of the images from the list opens another window and
> in Preview I see the same "Red X" and below that Gramps shows 'JPEG Image'
>
> I am using Linux Mint 19.
>
> Regards
> Keith Jacobs

Keith,

1. I am on Kubuntu 18.04 with Gramps 5.0.? All? my media files are stored as .jpg as that is how they downloaded.

2. The "red X" is because the link to the picture is wrong. I have had this problem when restoring a gramps database to a different computer where the path to the media is different, or the file name has been changed.  If it is all your pics that are affected, You should check under preferences for the "Base path for relative Media paths". I think there is another thing somewhere for relative rather than absolute addressing. Unfortunately my cure has had to be to add the picture again, and then delete the 'red X'.

Cheers,

Peter M.

Re: Image Format

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 3 May 2019 07:00:58 +0100
Keith Jacobs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Keith,

>below is a Tab for "Media Preview" and where a see just a "Red X" and

The red X indicates that the file can't be found by Gramps in the
place, with the name specified.  That is, it's been moved, renamed, the
path names have changed, you've (accidentally) deleted the file, or one
of several other possibilities, since it was originally added to the
Gramps database.

As others have indicated, .jpeg, .jpg, .JpEg, etc. make no difference.

--
 Regards  _
I can't relax 'cause I haven't done a thing

Re: Image Format

Harvey Nimmo
The Red X suggests that the files are not where Gramps thinks they are.
 Is the 'Base path for relative Media paths' under Preferences
(General) correctly set? Have you changed the name of the media
directory?

Cheers
Harvey

On Fri, 2019-05-03 at 07:00 +0100, Keith Jacobs wrote:

> In Gramps Media View the list of images is displayed at the top and
> below is a Tab for "Media Preview" and where a see just a "Red X" and
> not the image.
>
> Double click on one of the images from the list opens another window
> and
> in Preview I see the same "Red X" and below that Gramps shows 'JPEG
> Image'
>
> I am using Linux Mint 19.
>
> Regards
> Keith Jacobs
>
> On 03/05/2019 06:46, Adrian Davey wrote:
> > As far as I am aware, I don't think this has anything to do with
> > gramps - I think it is a function of your operating system's
> > default
> > software for the viewing etc of jpg or jpeg files. You should not
> > need
> > to rename any of the files.
> >
> > I am on Win10, with all the raster image formats I use set in the
> > o/s
> > with my preferred software as the default program for that filetype
> > for viewing, editing, printing etc. Whenever I view a raster image
> > in
> > gramps, it simply calls that external program.
> >
> > I suggest you look around in the linux settings for file
> > associations
> > - all you really need is to tell the system that a jpg is exactly
> > the
> > same as a jpeg except that the extension is different!
> >
> > Adrian Davey
> >
> > On 2019-05-03 15:27, Keith Jacobs wrote:
> > > I have unwittingly been storing images with the JPG extension and
> > > I now
> > > find that to get them visible in the Media View they should be
> > > saved
> > > with the extension JPEG.
> > >
> > > So far I have not found a suitable Linux Image Manipulator to
> > > convert
> > > them to JPEG so is it possible to adapt Gramps to list the images
> > > in JPG
> > > format?
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > > Keith Jacobs

Re: Image Format - Resolved

Keith Jacobs

I now realise what caused this issue.

I store all Gramps files, including the images, on a seperate internal hard drive which until recently I would manually mount. However a short while ago I edited Linux to automount this drive at startup not realising that it would modify, due to my lack of knowledge of Linux, the path of this drive. I have now modified this path and all images are now displaying correctly.

Thank you all who replied to my request for assistance, whatever my response.

Regards
Keith Jacobs
On 03/05/2019 09:18, Peter Merchant wrote:
[...]

On Fri, 3 May 2019 19:59:37 +0100
Keith Jacobs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Keith,

Glad to hear you're up and running again.

>while ago I edited Linux to automount this drive at startup not
>realising that it would modify, due to my lack of knowledge of Linux,
>the path of this drive.

You might like to know that you can specify the path (i.e mount point)
for that drive.

--
 Regards  _
It's the age of destruction, in a world of corruption