Immigration Event as Shared Event?

Reinhard John
Hello,

would you enter the immigration of a family to the US (source: Passenger List) rather as a shared event or as separate event for each person?

Regards
Reinhard

Re: Immigration Event as Shared Event?

Brad Rogers
On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 12:11:53 +0200
"Reinhard John" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Reinhard,

>would you enter the immigration of a family to the US (source:

I think the clue is the word 'family'.  IOW, a shared event.

--
 Regards  _
Bet you thought you had it all worked out

Re: Immigration Event as Shared Event?

Although I know others would almost always use a shared event, I base
my decision on the source. If each person in the family has their own
line number in the source, then each family member receives their own
event and citation. Older records tend to treat the family as one
entry. In these cases, I use a shared event with a common citation.

I use this same thought process for all events when deciding shared vs
individual events. And just because I may use an individual event does
not stop me from setting the role. The role may be information as part
of the source entry. Just because the role was designed for use in
shared events, it can be set in an individual event.

Just my way of doing events, others will have other methods.

Dave

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 6:12 AM Reinhard John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> would you enter the immigration of a family to the US (source: Passenger List) rather as a shared event or as separate event for each person?
>
> Regards
> Reinhard

Re: Immigration Event as Shared Event?

Ron Johnson

I'd make a single Citation look something like "Page 543, Lines 12-17" and
share it across all five people.

The benefit I see beyond reducing the number of citations you need to
create, add media to, etc, etc, is that it's an indication that they all
traveled at once.

On 7/22/19 6:48 AM, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Although I know others would almost always use a shared event, I base
> my decision on the source. If each person in the family has their own
> line number in the source, then each family member receives their own
> event and citation. Older records tend to treat the family as one
> entry. In these cases, I use a shared event with a common citation.
>
> I use this same thought process for all events when deciding shared vs
> individual events. And just because I may use an individual event does
> not stop me from setting the role. The role may be information as part
> of the source entry. Just because the role was designed for use in
> shared events, it can be set in an individual event.
>
> Just my way of doing events, others will have other methods.
>
> Dave
>
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 6:12 AM Reinhard John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> would you enter the immigration of a family to the US (source: Passenger List) rather as a shared event or as separate event for each person?
>>
>> Regards
>> Reinhard

Re: Immigration Event as Shared Event?

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I also like the shared event option with a note detailing the lines.

But I also tend to do matching Emigration & Immigration shared events to support mapping of countries along their migration path.

This might also include sharing some temporary Residence Events to plot multi-leg migrations tracing a Refugees flight. (Like the Huguenots years-long hopscotching through several countries, mustering resources for each leg before settling a Property Event in the American frontier.)

I haven't found an entirely satisfactory method of logging mass migrations that would include hundreds being lead along ponderous overland and sea crossings. Many included births & deaths along the way.

-Brian

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 8:20, Ron Johnson

I'd make a single Citation look something like "Page 543, Lines 12-17" and
share it across all five people.

The benefit I see beyond reducing the number of citations you need to
create, add media to, etc, etc, is that it's an indication that they all
traveled at once.

On 7/22/19 6:48 AM, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Although I know others would almost always use a shared event, I base
> my decision on the source. If each person in the family has their own
> line number in the source, then each family member receives their own
> event and citation. Older records tend to treat the family as one
> entry. In these cases, I use a shared event with a common citation.
>
> I use this same thought process for all events when deciding shared vs
> individual events. And just because I may use an individual event does
> not stop me from setting the role. The role may be information as part
> of the source entry. Just because the role was designed for use in
> shared events, it can be set in an individual event.
>
> Just my way of doing events, others will have other methods.
>
> Dave
>
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 6:12 AM Reinhard John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> would you enter the immigration of a family to the US (source: Passenger List) rather as a shared event or as separate event for each person?
>>
>> Regards
>> Reinhard

Re: Immigration Event as Shared Event?

Philip Weiss

On Jul 22 2019, at 6:16 am, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'd make a single Citation look something like "Page 543, Lines 12-17" and
share it across all five people.

The benefit I see beyond reducing the number of citations you need to
create, add media to, etc, etc, is that it's an indication that they all
traveled at once.

This last bit is key for me.  If they arrived all at once, I make a shared event.

I don't base it on the source, because lots of times I have multiple sources for immigration.  I have had passenger manifest, naturalization documents, passport application, obituary, newspaper notes (particularly for Mormon migration).  Anything that supports that immigration date & location gets attached.

The only instance I've had where a shared event proved difficult was a relative who served in the US military in World War I and met a French woman.  After the war, he returned to France, married her, and they returned to the US together.  I couldn't do a shared immigration event because he wasn't immigrating.  So I did an Arrival event for him and an Immigration event for her.

As always, YMMV.

Philip

Re: Immigration Event as Shared Event?

StoltHD
Brian,

Its just in those cases you describe that multi level unlimited hierarchies for Events are needed... Where each sub event can be linked to a different place and different people can be linked to the different sub events, and all will be linked to the main Event...

until then this might help...
Timeline tools and Consept Mapping Tool, or Graphical Sematic Graph Databases are good tools for this type of research...
The Timeline Project - http://thetimelineproj.sourceforge.net/
VUE (Visual Understanding Enviroment) - https://github.com/VUE/VUE
Segrada - https://segrada.org/

are all open source free software that can help you

jaran