Import from Rootsdmagic...

zed

Import from Rootsdmagic...

zed
A friend of mine has created his family tree in Rootsmagic which stores
data as a .rmgc file. He wants to try Gramps but. I have searched the
Rootsmagic menu to try and find information about exporting the data as a
gedcom, without success.

Has any member used Rootsmagic and converted and managed to import it into
Gramps, please.  If so, I'd vbedelighted to learn how..  I am using Granps
v4.2.8

zed
--
zed
If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? Anonymous

Re: Import from Rootsdmagic...

Dave Scheipers
Hi Zed

I went looking and on the product's website they have Webinars

http://rootsmagic.com/webinars/

After checking the index of videos. Video 6 at about the 34min mark
shows exporting to gedcom which is simply in the Menu >> file  >>
Export

GEDCOM appears to be the only export option but the video shows
include/exclude options.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but the website had 'trial'
versions available. Maybe these do not have full features and your
friend is missing this option.

Dave

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 9:21 PM, zed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A friend of mine has created his family tree in Rootsmagic which stores
> data as a .rmgc file. He wants to try Gramps but. I have searched the
> Rootsmagic menu to try and find information about exporting the data as a
> gedcom, without success.
>
> Has any member used Rootsmagic and converted and managed to import it into
> Gramps, please.  If so, I'd vbedelighted to learn how..  I am using Granps
> v4.2.8
>
> zed
> --
> zed
> If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? Anonymous

Re: Import from Rootsdmagic...

Hello zed,
> Has any member used Rootsmagic and converted and managed to import it into
> Gramps, please.  If so, I'd vbedelighted to learn how..  I am using Granps
> v4.2.8
I use RM quite often, and if I were a native English speaker, I would
most probably not convert to Gramps, because RM has a few features that
Gramps does not have, the most important of which for me are its ability
to find record hints on Ancestry, FamilySearch, FindMyPast, and My
Heritage, and to synchronize my tree with Ancestry and FamilySearch.
These features are all available in the free version, and hard to
implement in Gramps, because we'd need to sign all sorts of contract
with these parties, which are costly, and sometimes even impossible for
an open source program like ours.

RM also has loads of citation templates, and a built-in location
database, which is probably a big time saver, because it means that you
don't have to maintain your own, and don't have merge problems with that
either. Place look-up is a paid feature though.

It does not have Gramps' many views, but I expect most users to find the
on-line features way more important than those, and the place database too.

I use Gramps, because it's the best for my own language, way better than
Legacy Nederlands, and way better to locally developed programs too.

When exporting from RM, make sure that you deselect Extra details, so
that you don't get all event defs and citation templates sent to Gramps.

Cheers,