Import of GEDCOM file fails without proper error message

Import of GEDCOM file fails without proper error message

Stefan Björk
After many years of sticking with the GEDCOM format, I thought I'd give Gramps another try, but it can't import my GEDCOM file that was saved with Genealogy-J (GenJ, a java-based cross-platform GEDCOM editor that hasn't been updated in ages). Unfortunately, Gramps doesn't give me a proper error message, it just complains about "it appears your file has been truncated" (or something like that, the message is in Swedish) and leaves me with no clue as how to fix this error. The GEDCOM file loads just fine with GenJ.

Hoping for some guidance...

Kind regards

Re: Import of GEDCOM file fails without proper error message

Stefan Björk
Hello again. It seems the GEDCOM file loaded just fine when I forced english language, since this worked (Ubuntu Linux):

    LANGUAGE=en gramps -i file.ged

Perhaps some strings in the parser that should not be translated are translated?

sön 2016-03-27 klockan 12:32 +0200 skrev Stefan Björk:
Unfortunately, Gramps doesn't give me a proper error message, it just complains about "it appears your file has been truncated" (or something like that, the message is in Swedish) and leaves me with no clue as how to fix this error.

Re: Import of GEDCOM file fails without proper error message

Alain AUPEIX
Le 27/03/2016 12:49, Stefan Björk a écrit :
Hello again. It seems the GEDCOM file loaded just fine when I forced english language, since this worked (Ubuntu Linux):

    LANGUAGE=en gramps -i file.ged
Instead of opening the gedfile, why don't you import it ?
Perhaps ok like that ?

Launch Gramps
New base
Open this new base
import from ged

A+
--

Alain Aupeix
http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/

U.buntu 12.04 | G.ramps 3.4.9-1 | H.arbour 3.2.0dev (2016-02-11 10:54) | Hw.Gui 2.19-5 (2533)

Op 27-03-16 om 12:32 schreef Stefan Björk:
After many years of sticking with the GEDCOM format, I thought I'd give Gramps another try, but it can't import my GEDCOM file that was saved with Genealogy-J (GenJ, a java-based cross-platform GEDCOM editor that hasn't been updated in ages). Unfortunately, Gramps doesn't give me a proper error message, it just complains about "it appears your file has been truncated" (or something like that, the message is in Swedish) and leaves me with no clue as how to fix this error. The GEDCOM file loads just fine with GenJ.
There is a report about this on our bug tracker:

This report is about Gramps 4.2.1 on Windows 7. What about yours?

regards,

Re: Import of GEDCOM file fails without proper error message

Stefan Björk
sön 2016-03-27 klockan 13:07 +0200 skrev Peter Landgren:
Stefan,
Have a look at

I have not been able to fix this yet. It has somehow to do with "böjning" of months.

For some reason, I do not have access to that particular bug. My user name in the tracker is 'betula' and I'm a 'reporter'. Perhaps I do not have the necessary permissions?

Regards
Stefan

Re: Import of GEDCOM file fails without proper error message

enno
Op 28-03-16 om 11:21 schreef Stefan Björk:
sön 2016-03-27 klockan 13:07 +0200 skrev Peter Landgren:
Stefan,
Have a look at

I have not been able to fix this yet. It has somehow to do with "böjning" of months.

For some reason, I do not have access to that particular bug. My user name in the tracker is 'betula' and I'm a 'reporter'. Perhaps I do not have the necessary permissions?
That's right. The one mentioned by Peter and the one that I mentioned are both set to private, because there is a GEDCOM attached, which may contain living persons. Developers can see those files, for obvious reasons, but reporters can not.

I can see that in both reports the Gramps version is 4.2.1. One is for Windows 7, the other for Linux, so the error occurs on both, and I see no repair yet. I can see that one report mentions that the import was OK in Gramps 4.1.3.

If the import works when you run Gramps in English, the error that you got is probably the same. But if you're in doubt, it may help to upload a screen shot with the error message on OneDrive or Dropbox, and post a link to that screen shot here, or attach it to a new report. Developers can then look up the error message in the language files, even if they don't understand Swedish.

thanks,