Importing and deleting tags

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Could someone with a small tree try an experiment with Gramps 5 rc1 do an experiment?

Can you delete a Tag that is in use?

I had a 20k person tree in Gramps 4 that was exported as XML & then imported into vers 5 RC1. I discovered that the import process tagged EVERY, SINGLE record with a timestamp Tag.  That just seemed like database clutter because the Last Modified timestamp was the same.

So I deleted that timestamp tag. After hon firming that I knew it would affect records with that tag, a progress bar appeared but locked at the completion without ever closing the progress dialog. Finally had to kill Gramps with the Task Manager.

I don't have a small tree to test the same process.

Thx in advance,
Brian

Re: Importing and deleting tags

John W. Kitz-3
Brian,

In case you, have configured your email in such a manner that you,
disregard email sent to you off-list, I emailed you a small xml file
off-list that I have used for testing purposes in the past.

> Thx in advance,
> Brian

Regards, Jk.

Re: Importing and deleting tags

Hi Brian,

The time stamp tag was added on import because in Preferences >>
General tab >> add Tag on Import was checked.

Depending if you have done a lot of work since the import to 5.0-rc1
the simplest solution would be to do a new import from the 4.2 file
making sure that the Preferences does not have the import tag checked.

But I did test on a small segment of my tree and deleted two in-use
tags. Gramps cleanly deleted the tags from all records. To be sure, I
imported a backup after the tag delete into a new database. There were
no anomalies in the import; ie no record had a remnant of the original
tag that the import tried to deal with.  All traces of the tag were
gone.

Granted it was a small tree and not every record had the tag I deleted
so there was no hang/crash.

HTH, Dave

On 06/17/2018 04:51 PM, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
> Could someone with a small tree try an experiment with Gramps 5 rc1 do an experiment?
>
> Can you delete a Tag that is in use?
>
> I had a 20k person tree in Gramps 4 that was exported as XML & then imported into vers 5 RC1. I discovered that the import process tagged EVERY, SINGLE record with a timestamp Tag.  That just seemed like database clutter because the Last Modified timestamp was the same.
>
> So I deleted that timestamp tag. After hon firming that I knew it would affect records with that tag, a progress bar appeared but locked at the completion without ever closing the progress dialog. Finally had to kill Gramps with the Task Manager.

Was Gramps using any CPU at the time?

Re: Importing and deleting tags

Thanks for the responses & XML test file.

After some testing (including checking the CPU load) tomorrow, I'll file a proper report.
-Brian

 Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Importing and deleting tags
 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Sunday, June 17, 2018, 10:22 PM

 --
 Angular momentum makes the world go
 'round.

Re: Importing and deleting tags

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Good news and bad news.  I am not able to reproduce the lock-up today on the large tree.

After the process failed the same way for 5 times on the 17th, the tags successfully removed today.

Perhaps it was because the database had to be unlocked after ending the Gramps task and wasn't truly unlocked. Or perhaps recent record additions repaired something. Or perhaps it was because I re-started the computer.  Maybe it was being perverse because I was capturing dialogs for the Bug Report.  No idea.

-Brian