Importing and duplicate places

Gary Griffin
I am looking for guidance on merging two trees that share identical Place
data. I have a lot of Place detail (v4.2 gramps places hierarchy) and wanted
to explore a different family with the possibility that there was an overlap
with my main tree. I exported my main tree and deleted everything (People,
Events, Notes, Repos, Sources, Citations, ..) except the Places data. I
wanted to use this as a blank tree with all of the ( approx 2000) Places
structure already known. I then added about 500 people into this empty tree.
Having found an overlap with my main tree, I wanted to merge this new tree
into my main tree and not have duplicate Places info. When I exported to XML
both and imported into a new tree, all 2000 of the Places were duplicated.

In my case, there are only about 10 people that are duplicate and I can
manually merge them.

Is there a way to do this without duplicating identical Places data? Is this
a generally bad idea? Or should this be a feature request for a change in
the Import process (if placeobj id, type, change, and pname are all the
same, reuse rather than import copy)? I think this would be simpler than
creating an AddOn which merged duplicate Places (after I have already
performed the import) as the id and change date would be altered in the
import.

If the second tree had any changes in the Places data, that would be
imported and I would have to merge duplicates individually.

Suggestions?

Re: Importing and duplicate places

Gary Griffin
I tried this plugin on rc1 but it did not find any matches. All of the
existing tree was Missing and all of the new file was Added. It did not find
any Different or Matched items.

When I looked at the XML files for items I think should match, I see that
the handle is different, but the change, id, type are all the same. Not sure
what changed the handle for the placeobj. The same with the Sources - they
have a different handle but all of the same attributes.

My process was: export MainTree as XML. Import in to a new Tree. Remove all
People, Events, .... Then add many people and events. Then Export as XML.

I am not sure what action I took that changed all of the handles but it
looks like I have what I have and will have to do a manual merge.