Importing list of sources

Miguel Padeiro
Hi there,

I am new to Gramps (I used to work on Legacy 8 but I've recently moved to Linux, so...). I've got a list of more than 1,000 sources (church records) on Excel format. For each source I've got the location (name of town and village), the type of records (birth and baptism records, marriages, etc.), the period and the location of the records... I would like to import it to Gramps, is there any way to do this automatically?

Thanks in advance,
Miguel

Re: Importing list of sources

enno
Hi Miguel,
> I am new to Gramps (I used to work on Legacy 8 but I've recently moved
> to Linux, so...). I've got a list of more than 1,000 sources (church
> records) on Excel format. For each source I've got the location (name
> of town and village), the type of records (birth and baptism records,
> marriages, etc.), the period and the location of the records... I
> would like to import it to Gramps, is there any way to do this
> automatically?
I don't think so. Gramps has CSV import for persons and families, but no
sources yet:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees:_CSV_Import_and_Export

I don't know much about Excel macros, but you may be able to use those,
or some other language, to convert your spreadheet to a GEDCOM file with
sources in it, and then import that. This may work when you can
translate the data that you have to source author, title, note.

regards,

Re: Importing list of sources

Maybe you can create a 'fake' individual and play with gramps csv file import?

Once imported, you can remove this individual and records (sources) will remain!

Jérôme

Hi Miguel,
I don't think so. Gramps has CSV import for persons and families, but no sources yet: https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees:_CSV_Import_and_Export I don't know much about Excel macros, but you may be able to use those, or some other language, to convert your spreadheet to a GEDCOM file with sources in it, and then import that. This may work when you can translate the data that you have to source author, title, note. regards, Enno ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Want excitement? Manually upgrade your production database. When you want reliability, choose Perforce Perforce version control. Predictably reliable. http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=157508191&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk _______________________________________________ Gramps-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users

Re: Importing list of sources

enno
Jerome,
> Maybe you can create a 'fake' individual and play with gramps csv file
> import?
>
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees:_CSV_Import_and_Export#Import
>
> Once imported, you can remove this individual and records (sources)
> will remain!
No, that won't help much, because you only get source titles then. I
looked at the code to find out.

What I'd suggest is creating something like

0 @<XREF:SOUR>@ SOUR
1 AUTH <SOURCE_ORIGINATOR>
1 TITL <SOURCE_DESCRIPTIVE_TITLE>
1 NOTE <TEXT>

for each source. One might do that with a macro, or some awk.

regards,