Importing person attributes

Giuseppe Vittucci
Dear all,

I am working with a db that has also genealogical data and we are
considering using Gramps (which I have recently discovered...) to store
our data/entry new data and making some simple preliminary analysis.

We are currently using R and I managed to import the data from a csv in
Gramps following the instructions on the Wiki.

This notwithstanding, I was not able to import the "person attributes".
We have some factor variables we need to keep track of (religion,
background, education, ecc.)

I found that Gramps is able to import/export person attributes using
GEDCOM but I found no info about importing/exporting such attributes
through csv or other formats that can be easily read by other software
to carry out more complex statistical and network analysis (R, Python,
Stata, Matlab,  etc.).

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

Best
Giuseppe

--
Giuseppe Vittucci Marzetti
Department of Sociology and Social Research

Re: Importing person attributes

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Giuseppe,

May I suggest that you create a single person in an empty tree with having Events with the attributes you want to import. Certainly Gramps has several events defined for Religion and Education and these are standard items. But you might want to create custom Events... or Attributes under the Events to store any data for harmonized form. (No programming needed to create Custom Event types or labeled Attributes with free-form 1 value.)  Then export that file in 3 formats:  CSV, GEDcom, and Gramps XML.  (The Gramps XML file is a text file will be compressed with a GZIP compatible routine.  Gramps imports both compressed & uncompressed format but always compresses exports.)

CSV import/export (Italian translation also available )
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees:_CSV_Import_and_Export

By reviewing the export, you can see what format Gramps expects.  (Import & Export often fail to be symmetrical. But that would be a bug and can be fixed.)  And if you have Python expertise available.  There are import/export sample code for plug-ins freely available.  No cost to become a developer... and you're welcome to develop your own analysis plugins on the Gramps framework.