Importing

Andy
I have a GEDCOM file that I would like to import to Gramps. I read the Help pages and find this:

Standard GEDCOM as transfer tool[edit]

Most programs for family history can export and import GEDCOM (.ged) files.

  1. Check the documentation for your program to learn how to create a GEDCOM file with all your data.
    • If you have a choice, GEDCOM 5.5 Standard is usually the safest type of GEDCOM.
  2. In Gramps, choose the Family Trees icon in the toolbar, or in the menu Family Trees -> Manage Family Tree, to open the Family Tree Manager. Create a new family tree, choose a name, and click on the Load Family Tree button to open.
  3. Now that a family tree is loaded, select Family Trees -> Import from the menu.
  4. Locate the GEDCOM file created by your program, and select Open.

Steps 1, 2, 3 are done.  But when I try to find the 'Family Trees->Import' in the menu it seems to be missing (or I am not getting to the 'menu' somehow.  Do I need to install some additional feature to be able to do this?

Andy

Re: Importing

Harvey Nimmo
Point 3 is a wee bit misleading.

After you have created a new Family Tree, you need to click on 'Load Family Tree'. This does not mean that any real tree data are actually imported at that point, but that an 'empty' tree is 'opened' in your window.
When it is 'opened', select Family Trees > Import.... You will then be led to the file system to select the GEDCOM file you want to import.

Cheers
Harvey

On Wed, 2017-03-29 at 07:59 -0400, Andy wrote:
[...]

Welcome Andy

So you have created the Family Tree for gramps. Did you actually Load the tree or close the Manage Tree window? Across the top of Gramps should be the file name that is open  followed by "- Gramps" (FYI: I'm on 4.2.5 for Windows)

The Import option doesn't appear until it has a database to add it to open.

Let us know if this works, Dave