Quantcast

Impressed with Gramps and some Observations.

Impressed with Gramps and some Observations.

Dale Athanasias
Gramps Team,

Just installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my Acer netbook a few days ago and found and installed gramps-3.2.4 from svn.

Observations only:
* In a lot of the pop-up windows (and gramplets) I wanted to maximize the dialogs but notice that the window controls (to close, maximize, minimize etc.) where missing and double clicking on the title bar did not maximize the dialog (is this an issue with gramps or with linux? not sure as I am new to linux and just trying to get used to it.) (I did work out you could manually re-size, but this is not what I expected)

* Why are the gramplets (why this name?) controls while docked (eg:pop out(paper with spanner? reminds me of setup)/minimize (which rolls up the gramplet)/x (which does what it shows)) so large? and why is there so much space between each gramplet (how do I change that)?

*How do I add a person view to the sidebar (it it possible?) as it feels like it is missing one eg gramps has a People view(list); why not a person view(individual) that would go to the currently selected person and I'd expect to see something like the Person edit windows except in view only mode similar to relationships view. Maybe show that persons name and photo as the icon?

General question what is the official logo of Gramps?
Is it the photo of Gramps or the image on the front page of the website ( http://gramps-project.org/introduction-WP/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Intro_Homepage.png ) or the logo on the front page ( http://gramps-project.org/introduction-WP/wp-content/themes/Hello_Gramps/images/Gramps_LogoType.png ) ? I ask because in the "About Gramps" it shows the gramps photo. The front page graphic at the top of the page shows "Genealogical Research Software" and the "About Gramps" in the program has "Gramps (Genealogical Research and Analysis Management Programming System) is a personal genealogy program."

Quite happy how gramps works so much so that I will try the windows version later on.

Thank you to all the people who have made Gramps, from my brief use today I am impressed.

Dale

PS:I following the "Running a development version of Gramps" wiki page and have trunk working on ubuntu 10.10 should I join the wiki and update that page or do developer update that page?

Re: Impressed with Gramps and some Observations.

Benny Malengier

2010/10/24 Dale Athanasias <[hidden email]>
Gramps Team,

Just installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my Acer netbook a few days ago and found and installed gramps-3.2.4 from svn.

Observations only:
* In a lot of the pop-up windows (and gramplets) I wanted to maximize the dialogs but notice that the window controls (to close, maximize, minimize etc.) where missing and double clicking on the title bar did not maximize the dialog (is this an issue with gramps or with linux? not sure as I am new to linux and just trying to get used to it.) (I did work out you could manually re-size, but this is not what I expected)

This is a window manager issue. Linux has many window managers you can choose from. You are using the Gnome one, which is the interface Ubuntu has, so I guess you have issues with that..
Should you install kubuntu-desktop, and log into KDE on the login screen, then all these controls are present, and double clicking the title bar expands, ...
People choose between Gnome and KDE on taste, so try both and choose the one that is to your liking.

* Why are the gramplets (why this name?) controls while docked (eg:pop out(paper with spanner? reminds me of setup)/minimize (which rolls up the gramplet)/x (which does what it shows)) so large? and why is there so much space between each gramplet (how do I change that)?

Do a bug entry for these on the bug tracker. They should be smaller. There are several interface 'papercuts' that need cleaning up. The devil is in the details, it comes down to somebody spending time to clean up some things visually.

*How do I add a person view to the sidebar (it it possible?) as it feels like it is missing one eg gramps has a People view(list); why not a person view(individual) that would go to the currently selected person and I'd expect to see something like the Person edit windows except in view only mode similar to relationships view. Maybe show that persons name and photo as the icon?

The views are a plugin structure, so the things you suggest could be made. They do not exist however. You must work a bit with Gramps, to see if these things really would be usefull to add.

General question what is the official logo of Gramps?
Is it the photo of Gramps or the image on the front page of the website ( http://gramps-project.org/introduction-WP/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Intro_Homepage.png ) or the logo on the front page ( http://gramps-project.org/introduction-WP/wp-content/themes/Hello_Gramps/images/Gramps_LogoType.png ) ? I ask because in the "About Gramps" it shows the gramps photo. The front page graphic at the top of the page shows "Genealogical Research Software" and the "About Gramps" in the program has "Gramps (Genealogical Research and Analysis Management Programming System) is a personal genealogy program."

No real official logo. No money also to register something.
The colors and the sideway tree are the visual keys which should make people thing on Gramps.
When a larger image is usefull, the gramps picture is used (grandfather (?) of the original author of Gramps). For the website redesign, some icons where edited by the web designer to look nicer.

Quite happy how gramps works so much so that I will try the windows version later on.

Thank you to all the people who have made Gramps, from my brief use today I am impressed.

Dale

PS:I following the "Running a development version of Gramps" wiki page and have trunk working on ubuntu 10.10 should I join the wiki and update that page or do developer update that page?

The wiki is maintained by the community, so it would be great if you update it! Developers unfortunately hardly have time after coding to document things.
If you track trunk, know that it is not yet stable, so things will break, and database design will change. Track the devel list to be informed about this.

Re: Impressed with Gramps and some Observations.

Dale Athanasias

Installed Gramps on Ubuntu KDE 10.10 and gramps complained about gtk missing so I installed python-gtk2 and Gramps started correctly and see the windows behaviour I was expecting, only KDE is a lot slower than gnom on this netbook, might go back.

I will file those papercut bugs over the weekend.

I'll try to rouse some interest in creating a logo for Gramps ( http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1832185 )

Updated the wiki page ( http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Running_a_development_version_of_Gramps )

Why so many logins, is it possible just to have a single id ( openid etc)
When I signed up on the wiki I could not add my email address why?

2010/10/28 Dale Athanasias <[hidden email]>

Installed Gramps on Ubuntu KDE 10.10 and gramps complained about gtk missing so I installed python-gtk2 and Gramps started correctly and see the windows behaviour I was expecting, only KDE is a lot slower than gnom on this netbook, might go back.

KDE slower often means you don't have a good graphics stack. Disable graphics effects completely or install proprietary driver if you have Nvidea chip (open source ATI works great for me, but fglrx is probably faster).
So first thing to do is see of some graphics settings change improves things.
Go to System Settings > Desktop
In the Desktop Effects Section (On the left)
Click on the Advanced Tab. Eg, things might chante with the settings:
Compositing type: OpenGL
OpenGL mode: Shared Memory
Texture filter: Nearest (fastest)

Also, switch off all debugging info. That sometimes helps. In a terminal run:
kdebugdialog
and unselect all.

So, I just mean, there is no reason for KDE to be slower, it just means some setting somewhere is not well optimized for your gear, while it is ok in Gnome. If Gnome would be slower, the same applies.