Improvement of privacy and other wishes

Michelle Engel
Hello,

I would like to have more options on privacy in gramps. Here are some
ideas I want to discuss - especially with other users, to see what they
think of it. And of course with developers, to see what's possible.
After some discussion, I will make a feature request.

At the moment it's only possible to mark an entire person as private. I
would prefer
- the additional feature to mark events as private
- to have both public notes and private notes

Enhanced export filter: More possibilities when exporting data.
Checkboxes for
- include/exclude private events/notes
- exclude events of the last N years
- include/exclude special event types (list all event types, have a
check box for every event type). This shouldn't appear in the standard
export dialog, but in an additional dialog, when clicking on "select
events to export".

Handling:
In the event-list I would like to select more than one event and delete
all of the selected events.
Or delete all events of a chosen type.

Associations:
When creating an association between person A and person B for person A,
ask me, if I want to create an association for person B too.

Michelle

Re: Improvement of privacy and other wishes

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:22:35 +0100
Michelle Engel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Michelle,

> At the moment it's only possible to mark an entire person as private.

Not so....

> - the additional feature to mark events as private

....this is already possible.  Look at the icons down the RHS of the
event dialogue.  One is the padlock used to mark the event as private.
Other parts, admittedly, cannot currently be marked as private (address
for example).

> Enhanced export filter: More possibilities when exporting data.
> Checkboxes for
> - include/exclude private events/notes

This depends on the type of export you're doing.  GEDCOM & GeneWeb
support Privacy export options.

The rest of what you suggest makes a lot of sense.  Much of it *I*
wouldn't use, but I know plenty of people that would.

The associations one being the most needed, I think.  It seems daft to
create an association from A->B but not have the option offered to
create the association from B->A.

--
 Regards  _

I don't believe you have to be an idiot to get somewhere these days
Bombsite Boy - The Adverts

2007/12/16, Michelle Engel <[hidden email]>:
Hello,

I would like to have more options on privacy in gramps. Here are some
ideas I want to discuss - especially with other users, to see what they
think of it. And of course with developers, to see what's possible.
After some discussion, I will make a feature request.

At the moment it's only possible to mark an entire person as private. I
would prefer
- the additional feature to mark events as private

Possible today

- to have both public notes and private notes

Upcoming version  3.0 has this as well as private addresses, ... Actually, pretty much everything can be private in 2.2.9, and of what isn't much will be in 3.0

Enhanced export filter: More possibilities when exporting data.
Checkboxes for
- include/exclude private events/notes
- exclude events of the last N years
- include/exclude special event types (list all event types, have a
check box for every event type). This shouldn't appear in the standard
export dialog, but in an additional dialog, when clicking on "select
events to export".

No, this is not feasible, where would it end? We have filters for that. At the moment in 3.0 only person filters can be given. We would like to extend this to filters on events, ... too. So private and living are special filters we show, other filters users should make themself as a custom filter. Feel free to add a feature request for filters on more than person, which I would support (and is on a TODO somewhere) as it is a general thing that works for everybody instead of options a specific user only uses.

Handling:
In the event-list I would like to select more than one event and delete
all of the selected events.
Or delete all events of a chosen type.

Did somebody not just do a feature request for this? Look it up before doing a new one

Associations:
When creating an association between person A and person B for person A,
ask me, if I want to create an association for person B too.

I think somebody has done a feature request for that too in the past. Look it up, and add a note to it saying you support it.

Re: Improvement of privacy and other wishes

Michelle Engel
Hello Brad,

>> - the additional feature to mark events as private
>
> ....this is already possible.  Look at the icons down the RHS of the
> event dialogue.  One is the padlock used to mark the event as private.
> Other parts, admittedly, cannot currently be marked as private (address
> for example).

I didn't see this, sorry. That's what I needed! Great!

>> Enhanced export filter: More possibilities when exporting data.
>> Checkboxes for
>> - include/exclude private events/notes
>
> This depends on the type of export you're doing.  GEDCOM & GeneWeb
> support Privacy export options.

Together with marking events private, this is what I need. Great, almost
all my problems are solved :-) I add the private notes to an private event.

> The rest of what you suggest makes a lot of sense.  Much of it *I*
> wouldn't use, but I know plenty of people that would.

Most of it could be solved, when it's possible to build filters for
events. I think this is a lot of work, so this will take some time, I
suppose. Especially because this is not the most important feature.

Thanks for opening my eyes!

Michelle

Re: Improvement of privacy and other wishes

Michelle Engel
Hi Benny,

>     At the moment it's only possible to mark an entire person as private. I
>     would prefer
>     - the additional feature to mark events as private
>

> Possible today

I didn't see it, sorry. Brad explained it to me.

>     - to have both public notes and private notes
>

> Upcoming version  3.0 has this as well as private addresses, ...
> Actually, pretty much everything can be private in 2.2.9, and of what
> isn't much will be in 3.0

I'm excited about 3.0. With the possibility to mark events private, most
of my wishes are satisfied :-)

>     Enhanced export filter: More possibilities when exporting data.
>     Checkboxes for
>     - include/exclude private events/notes
>     - exclude events of the last N years
>     - include/exclude special event types (list all event types, have a
>     check box for every event type). This shouldn't appear in the standard
>     export dialog, but in an additional dialog, when clicking on "select
>     events to export".
>

> No, this is not feasible, where would it end?

Yes you're right. I know that.

First point is done with the private events and the privacy option in
gedcom-export I didn't knew.

> We have filters for that.
> At the moment in 3.0 only person filters can be given. We would like to
> extend this to filters on events, ... too.

That would be great.

> So private and living are
> special filters we show, other filters users should make themself as a
> custom filter. Feel free to add a feature request for filters on more
> than person, which I would support (and is on a TODO somewhere) as it is
> a general thing that works for everybody instead of options a specific
> user only uses.

I will do that.

Thanks,
Michelle

Re: Improvement of privacy and other wishes

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:49:40 +0100
Michelle Engel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Michelle,

> I didn't see this, sorry. That's what I needed! Great!

Don't apologise;  There's so much going on in GRAMPs, it's easy to
miss stuff like this.

> > This depends on the type of export you're doing.  GEDCOM & GeneWeb
> > support Privacy export options.
> Together with marking events private, this is what I need. Great,
> almost all my problems are solved :-) I add the private notes to an

:-))

> Most of it could be solved, when it's possible to build filters for
> events. I think this is a lot of work, so this will take some time, I

Indeed.  The trick being to be suitably creative with the filters.  Not
always an easy task.

> Thanks for opening my eyes!

You're welcome.

--