Improving reports

P Hannon
Wish 1 - For a report of a 'history time style' where the event date is
sorted ascending, and a brief summary of what happened that day - see a
short sample below please.
It would be nice if
a) this event could be restricted to names related to the family tree of the
person selected with the option of the whole database.
b) one could insert from a separate list, dates of importance that one wants
in the list e.g.
Date WWII started
Date WWII ended

Ideally the details would not be longer than 1 line in width, it they are
then it be indented so that the dates are always 'proud' on the left. Maybe
a choice of events to be included on each line would be possible.

24 November 1824  Jane Blunt ROSEVEARE born
1825                        Francis (Bad Frank) SINCLAIR born at Sweeney
Brae
1825                        John MC ARRISON born at Ireland
1825                        Mary MC CONVILLE born at Ireland
27 February 1825     Elizabeth ROSEVEARE born
2 June 1825             William ROSEVEARE born
1826                        Alex BRUCE born at Scotland
11 February 1827     George ROSEVEARE born
22 March 1827        Thomas ROSEVEARE born
2 September 1827    William ROSEVEARE born
1828                       Mary SINCLAIR born at Lybster
7 May 1828             Nicholas ROSEVEARE born
1829                        Beatrice (ROSEVEARE) died
9 June 1829             Sophia ROSEVEARE born
4 February 1830      Samuel ROSEVEARE born

Wish 2 - For the filters to be explained (with examples) and moved to a more
prominent position as these are very powerful, I have the feeling that
reports are overshadowing filters because filters are harder to understand.

Wish 3 - A note in the manual describing how to generate an index of names
using oowriter - maybe this proves/shows my lack of understanding of Open
Office?

Wish 4 - For a everyone/extensive family tree

Wish 5 - For all reports to be included in the book option.

I'm using GRAMPS solely for my family tree now and enjoying it completely -
I just sit here and marvel at the work put into by the developers and wonder
do they do anything but eat, sleep and dream GRAMPS? Sometimes I wonder
whether I don't do that myself <vbg>.

I am using RH9 at the moment and working on moving upto fc3/4.

Pat

Re: Improving reports

Richard Taylor-2
On Tuesday 31 May 2005 21:33, P Hannon wrote:
> Wish 1 - For a report of a 'history time style' where the event date is
> sorted ascending, and a brief summary of what happened that day - see a
> short sample below please.

I like the idea of a timeline report. I often hand draw timelines whilst I am
doing research so that I can get a picture of a person or family and see what
I might be missing. I tend to draw them as a single central line across the
page with vertical lines alternative up and down from the central line for
each event.

You can get lots of ideas for the type of graphical layout of timelines by
searching for "time line" on http://www.google.co.uk/imghp.

Richard

--
You can normally find me on Jabber as [hidden email]