Increase tree depth in web report?

Paul Smith

Is there a way to increase the tree depth for pedigree/ancestor diagrams in the web reports beyond 5?  With modern hi-res, wide screen, monitors there is plenty of space on screen left for more generations beyond the apparently hard-coded limit of 5.

Paul D.Smith.

Re: Increase tree depth in web report?

prculley
You did not mention which Gramps version you were using.  For Gramps4.2.6 (and possibly earlier) there is a Narrated Web site "Report Options" tab with "Graph Generations" option.

Paul C.

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 2:35 AM, Paul Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is there a way to increase the tree depth for pedigree/ancestor diagrams in the web reports beyond 5?  With modern hi-res, wide screen, monitors there is plenty of space on screen left for more generations beyond the apparently hard-coded limit of 5.

Paul D.Smith.

Re: Increase tree depth in web report?

Paul Smith

GrampsAIO64-4.2.6-1

I think  I know the field you mean but it maxes out at ‘5’ and even if I explicitly type ‘7’, 5 is all I get.

Re: Increase tree depth in web report?

Detlef Wolz-2
Hi,

Gramps is open source. So you may modify the program. I did not much
research on my family for some time but I could change the program

Webreport - changed in 3.2.4-1
=========
- number of generations on the Ancestors section
  /usr/share/gramps/plugins/webreport/NarrativeWeb.py

   change  self.__graphgens.add_item(6, "6")

under Linux.

I hope this will help.

Best regards
Detlef

On 31.01.2018 18:08, Paul Smith wrote:

> GrampsAIO64-4.2.6-1
>
> I think  I know the field you mean but it maxes out at ‘5’ and even if I
> explicitly type ‘7’, 5 is all I get.

Detlef,

Managed to get a few moments last night and found the section that limits the depth.  I managed to increase it to 8 but hit another problem...

The code that builds the graphs is simplistic and allows space for a fully populated tree down to depth N (8 in this case) but:

1. It does this even if there are only M depths (say 5) of data and
2. It does not allow for empty branches (say I don't know a couple of my grand-parents, clearly there will be nothing below here).

The result is a huge amount of whitespace wasted :-(.  I'll have a think about how I might do a slower scan creating a more compact tree and see if I can implement it.

Paul DS.