Indonesian names

Tim Allen
I've seen some discussion about patronymic naming. On a similar issue,
but even more difficult, does anyone have any suggestions on the best
way to do Indonesian names, which usually have no pattern at all of
inheritance (eg my wife, Rita Handayani, is the daughter of Sukro
Harsono; her brother is Bambang Teguh Prasetyo)?

I've just been putting the whole name as the given name, and leaving the
surname blank, but that looks a bit ugly in some reports where you get a
comma and an extra space in the middle of nowhere. This also has the
problem that they don't show up in the index page of the web site
report, and expanding out the "empty surname" tag in the tree view on
the People page gets a bit much...

Any suggestions? I'd request a feature enhancement to help, but I'm not
even sure what feature to request :-).

Tim

Re: [Gramps-users] Indonesian names

Martin Hawlisch
Tim,

maybe the wikipedia article can give a little insight:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_names

I'm short in time so I skipped reading it.

Cheers, Martin.

> Von: Tim Allen <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: [Gramps-users] Indonesian names
>
> I've seen some discussion about patronymic naming. On a similar issue,
> but even more difficult, does anyone have any suggestions on the best
> way to do Indonesian names, which usually have no pattern at all of
> inheritance (eg my wife, Rita Handayani, is the daughter of Sukro
> Harsono; her brother is Bambang Teguh Prasetyo)?

Re: Indonesian names

Tim Allen
Martin Hawlisch wrote:
> Tim,
>
> maybe the wikipedia article can give a little insight:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_names
>
> I'm short in time so I skipped reading it.

Thanks, Martin. That pretty much tells me what I already knew, ie that
all possible patterns of surname inheritance (family surname,
patronymic, and none at all) are in use in Indonesia. My wife's family
seems to fit into the "none-at-all" category.