Installing 2.5.x

Jim Winfrey
Can SKS tell a newbie how to install 2.5.x from a downloaded tarball?
I downloaded it and extracted it, read the instructions for Install.
To me, the Install instructions appear to assume I know more than I do
about installing apps.  I don't even know where the extracted file is
located or what filename I use for the install.  Can I set this one up
so that I can continue to use 2.0.11 with my existing database?  I
would create a new database for the 2.5.x.

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Installing 2.5.x

Don Allingham
Jim,

I just converted my old FC3 machine to Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) last
night. So, I had a clean machine to start with. This is what I had to do
to get an environment ready for building from source code:

If you want to run in parallel, first remove gramps 2.0.X if it is installed

$ sudo apt-get remove gramps

Then install the packages need to build

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential
$ sudo apt-get install automake1.9
$ sudo apt-get install subversion
$ sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-dev
$ sudo apt-get install intltool gnome-doc-utils gnome-common

Then do one of the following: Grab the source code from SVN:

$ svn co https://svn.gramps-project.org/svnroot/gramps/trunk/gramps2

Or download a 2.1.X release, and untar it

$ tar xzvf gramps-2.1.5.tar.gz

This will create a "gramps2" for SVN or an gramps-2.1.5 directory with
all the code

$ cd gramps2 (or gramps-2.1.5)
$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
$ make
$ make install

This will install GRAMPS in /usr/bin/gramps. This is necessary right now
to set up the gconf and mime type settings so your system will recognize
them.

Since you want to run both on the same system, Once this is done,
reinstall gramps 2.0.X

$ apt-get install gramps

Now, the easiest thing to do is just run GRAMPS from the source tree

$ cd gramps2/src  (or gramps-2.1.5/src)
$ python gramps.py

Don

Jim Winfrey wrote:

> Can SKS tell a newbie how to install 2.5.x from a downloaded tarball?
> I downloaded it and extracted it, read the instructions for Install.
> To me, the Install instructions appear to assume I know more than I do
> about installing apps.  I don't even know where the extracted file is
> located or what filename I use for the install.  Can I set this one up
> so that I can continue to use 2.0.11 with my existing database?  I
> would create a new database for the 2.5.x.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Re: Installing 2.5.x

Duncan Lithgow
On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 12:47 -0400, Jim Winfrey wrote:
> Can SKS tell a newbie how to install 2.5.x from a downloaded tarball?
> I downloaded it and extracted it, read the instructions for Install.
> To me, the Install instructions appear to assume I know more than I do
> about installing apps.  I don't even know where the extracted file is
> located or what filename I use for the install.  Can I set this one up
> so that I can continue to use 2.0.11 with my existing database?
What I do is make a copy of my current database and add the suffix 2.1.5
at the end so I can see which one it is. It's important to make sure you
don't select 'open last database' otherwise after you run 2.0 with your
golden database, 2.1.5 will open it and it's now unusable in 2.0. So
make sure you always keep a recent backup copy just in case.

Duncan

Re: Installing 2.5.x

Jim Winfrey
On 6/15/06, Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 12:47 -0400, Jim Winfrey wrote:
> > Can SKS tell a newbie how to install 2.5.x from a downloaded tarball?
> > I downloaded it and extracted it, read the instructions for Install.
> > To me, the Install instructions appear to assume I know more than I do
> > about installing apps.  I don't even know where the extracted file is
> > located or what filename I use for the install.  Can I set this one up
> > so that I can continue to use 2.0.11 with my existing database?
> What I do is make a copy of my current database and add the suffix 2.1.5
> at the end so I can see which one it is. It's important to make sure you
> don't select 'open last database' otherwise after you run 2.0 with your
> golden database, 2.1.5 will open it and it's now unusable in 2.0. So
> make sure you always keep a recent backup copy just in case.
>
> Duncan

Don and Duncan,

Thanks for taking the time to help me get 2.1.5 running.  I got it
going last night and am very impressed.  I really like the ability to
edit families from the subject's Relationship tab.  Is there a plan in
a future release to add the spouse's parents on the Relationship
screen.  I miss the capability we had in earlier versions to navigate
either subject or spouse directly.

Thanks,

Jim