Installing TeXLive w/ genealogytree on Ubuntu 16.04 and Linuxmint 18.3 - success!

Installing TeXLive w/ genealogytree on Ubuntu 16.04 and Linuxmint 18.3 - success!

Rich Lakey
Not sure if the following ever made it to the group due to the unfortunate problems with sourceforge:
I had some success late Saturday night! The date month is now numeric and Node Options / Preferences gives me the Gramps preference color for the nodes of pink or blue.  I still get an error if I check "Include images" and the .tex file has to be in my home directory to create a .pdf file.  But the .tex file is not needed if you go with the options allowed in Gramps report and can go directly to .PDF.

Everything I tried seem to give errors that lead to post where folks said the TeXLive in Ubuntu was old and features such as tlmgr didn't work right.

So I did a complete un-install of TeXLive 2015 and installed TeXLive 2017 from the web.

Need to do a bit more testing but looks good so far.  I will post my install experience/ instructions later.  Not to complicated after I fought through understanding a few things.

Rich

And what I did to get it working:

Why install TeXLive 2017 instead of TeXLive 2015 that comes in the Ubuntu depository?
I had a number of issues that trying to correct each one created new problems. Web searches kept coming up with the point that the 2015 servers have been disabled. The tlmgr program that I needed to correct some problems would not work and the only solution was TeXLive 2017.

I am not an expert and stumbled through this conversion to TeXLive 2017 one time. But I thought my experience might help others. May not be the best way but it did work.

Installing TeXLive 2017 on LinuxMint 18.3 (built on Ubuntu 16.04)

1. Complete uninstall of TeXLive 2015
Warning, failure to remove TeXLive 2015 befoe installing TeXLive 2017 may result in programs with a mixture of the two releases causing serious problems.
Warning, TeXLive 2017 will not show up in Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager. I don't know how to remove if need be.
I used Synaptic Package Manager as it allows for complete removal including configuration files
In Synaptic Package Manager search for texlive. For every texlive object select "Mark for complete removal"
There are quite a few and takes a while. But there are warnings that if you try to install 2017 over 2015 you might end up with a mixture that will not work.
After selecting all for complete removal, select apply. Double check that none are still installed,

2. quick method to install latest Texlive 2017, installs 3561 files, took a bit over an hour for the files to download and install.

In terminal do the following 5 commands:

curl -sL http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/install-tl-unx.tar.gz | tar zxf - && mv install-tl-20* install-tl

cd install-tl

echo "selected_scheme scheme-full" > profile \

sudo ./install-tl -repository http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet -profile profile

export PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2017/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH
This 5th command did not work as the programs included in TeXLive 2017 are not known to the system Path.
Solution was the add command to /etc/profile
This must be done with sudo
In terminal enter: sudo nemo
from nemo go to /etc/profile select profile for edit and add"
 export PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2017/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH
to the end of the file.
Save
I rebooted at this point but not sure if necessary.

to later update texlive run:
tlmgr update --all

3. Run Ancestor Tree Report

Reports / Trees / Ancestor Tree
Paper Options:
This was trial and error. For 13 generations I used custom width 5 and height 120 inches. Since landscape mode the 5 becomes height.  Parameter seems ignored and height becomes too high leaving a lot of white space. I was able to crop with pdfshuffler
Node Options:
Color - Preferences seemed to look nicer to me.
Note:
Note size - Needed to be extra huge to be readable.
Output Format - PDF
Only needed to use LaTex if I need to debug a problem or wanted to add more options than the Gramps implementation

4. Problems
a. if Place name has # or & it will fail (could be other characters to, but I have had these two fail for me)
message:
Report could not be created
[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/tmp/tmp_7ee4h6x/temp.pdf'
This is a catchall message as I have seen it for other reasons to.
Must run report to LaTeX (.tex) file, then move to Home directory and run with pdflatex
Can find where the problem is in message near end of log file.

b  Include images
    same message.  Suspect problem is images need to be in "Home" directory
c Arithmetic overflow.
I received this a couple of times. Once on trying for 14 generations.  From what I can gather through some searches that using a template can overcome. But this is above my skill.

Looking at the PDF output with the normal image viewer doesn't allow enough magnification to view the text. I found xournal worked somewhat.
Rich

Re: Installing TeXLive w/ genealogytree on Ubuntu 16.04 and Linuxmint 18.3 - success!

Nick Hall
On 28/02/18 15:38, Rich wrote:
4. Problems
a. if Place name has # or & it will fail (could be other characters to, but I have had these two fail for me)
message:
Report could not be created
[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/tmp/tmp_7ee4h6x/temp.pdf'
This is a catchall message as I have seen it for other reasons to.
Must run report to LaTeX (.tex) file, then move to Home directory and run with pdflatex
Can find where the problem is in message near end of log file.

You will need to apply the treedoc.py patch to fix this.

b  Include images
    same message.  Suspect problem is images need to be in "Home" directory

Please post the error message in the log file.

c Arithmetic overflow.
I received this a couple of times. Once on trying for 14 generations.  From what I can gather through some searches that using a template can overcome. But this is above my skill.

Is this a LaTeX error?  If so, the log file would be useful.

Re: Installing TeXLive w/ genealogytree on Ubuntu 16.04 and Linuxmint 18.3 - success!

Rich Lakey
Gramps fails with the following error after installing treedoc.py .  The entry for Feb 22 says treedoc.py is updated for windows. I am using Linux so maybe that is why the error. I am using 4.2.8 so tried the tredoc-42.py and renamed it tredoc.py after backing up the original.

62742: ERROR: _reportdialog.py: line 739: Failed to run report.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/plug/report/_reportdialog.py", line 700, in report
    MyReport = report_class(dialog.db, dialog.options, user)
  File "/home/loveafair65/.gramps/gramps42/plugins/ancestor.py", line 64, in __init__
    Report.__init__(self, database, options, user)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gen/plug/report/_reportbase.py", line 57, in __init__
    self.doc.open(options_class.get_output())
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gen/plug/docgen/treedoc.py", line 579, in open
    self.write_start()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gen/plug/docgen/treedoc.py", line 345, in write_start
    scheme = config.get('colors.scheme')
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gen/utils/configmanager.py", line 378, in get
    raise AttributeError("No such config section name: '%s'" % section)
AttributeError: No such config section name: 'colors'

On 01/03/18 03:49, Rich wrote:
Gramps fails with the following error after installing treedoc.py .  The entry for Feb 22 says treedoc.py is updated for windows. I am using Linux so maybe that is why the error. I am using 4.2.8 so tried the tredoc-42.py and renamed it tredoc.py after backing up the original.

Sorry, I forgot that we had changed the colour preference configuration settings. There is now an updated patch on the feature request.