Installing a plugin

www.internet

I am new to gramps, and I need someone to hold my hand.

I run gramps in Ubuntu 17.04. I've been trying to install a plugin called DescendantsLines, and that endeavour has defeated me. I have learned that gramps needs to be run in developer mode so that the plugin manager will have an extra tab that allows the user to install plugins; the wiki has told me that I have to run

python -O gramps.py

but I've searched everywhere and cannot find gramps.py. I'm sure it's a very simple matter and I'm a fool for not figuring it out, but I've looked all over and have given up on solving this myself. If anyone could provide lay out the exact steps to getting a plugin installed and working, I'd be very grateful.

Re: Installing a plugin

Nick Hall
On 18/06/17 11:52, www.internet@... wrote:

I am new to gramps, and I need someone to hold my hand.

I run gramps in Ubuntu 17.04. I've been trying to install a plugin called DescendantsLines, and that endeavour has defeated me. I have learned that gramps needs to be run in developer mode so that the plugin manager will have an extra tab that allows the user to install plugins; the wiki has told me that I have to run

python -O gramps.py

but I've searched everywhere and cannot find gramps.py. I'm sure it's a very simple matter and I'm a fool for not figuring it out, but I've looked all over and have given up on solving this myself. If anyone could provide lay out the exact steps to getting a plugin installed and working, I'd be very grateful.

Don't run Gramps in developer mode.

Install automatically using the "Check Now" button in the "General" tab of the preferences.

If you need to do a manual install, just copy the files to your plugins directory.

Re: Installing a plugin

You did not mention your Gramps version, so I will assume at least Gramps 4.2.x.

You don't need developer mode or special starting mechanisms.

Use Edit/Preferences menu and select the "What to check" box for "New and updated addons".  Also uncheck the "Do not ask about previous notified addons" checkbox.  Then hit the "Check now" button.

"Descendent Lines 1.0.6" should appear under the New: Report grouping (click the arrow to expand).  Select that so the item is has a check next to it.

Use the "Install Selected Addons" button.

The report should appear in the menu, (you may have to restart Gramps for some types of addons).

Paul C.