Interactive Fan Chart

Douglas S. Blank
Developers,

Check out:

http://www.cs.utah.edu/~draperg/research/fanchart/demo/

Wouldn't that be a cool interface for GRAMPS? redwood pointed out a couple
of research papers on innovative tree displays:

http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2611

So I implemented the Interactive Fan Chart as a gramplet, and it is now in
trunk. It doesn't have animations (which really help in seeing what is
happening when you click a person... it happens so fast without it that
you can get confused).

Some points:

1/ left click to expand/contract
2/ right click to select a person
3/ click in corners to rotate (on right side, goes clockwise; left,
counter clockwise)
4/ shows 6 generations by default

This is such a nice idea, I wonder if it shouldn't be a view?

(This is the first working version of the code; it doesn't have
translation strings, or much docs yet. If you find a bug or have a
suggestion, you can contact me directly. It likely has issues... but
should mostly work. )

Let me know what you think about it as a gramplet or otherwise.

-Doug

Re: Interactive Fan Chart

Benny Malengier

2009/1/19 Douglas S. Blank <[hidden email]>
Developers,

Check out:

http://www.cs.utah.edu/~draperg/research/fanchart/demo/

Wouldn't that be a cool interface for GRAMPS? redwood pointed out a couple
of research papers on innovative tree displays:

http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2611

So I implemented the Interactive Fan Chart as a gramplet, and it is now in
trunk. It doesn't have animations (which really help in seeing what is
happening when you click a person... it happens so fast without it that
you can get confused).

Some people find animations confusing or don't  like the wait

Some points:

1/ left click to expand/contract
2/ right click to select a person
3/ click in corners to rotate (on right side, goes clockwise; left,
counter clockwise)

should need some icons I believe to make this functionality visible

4/ shows 6 generations by default

This is such a nice idea, I wonder if it shouldn't be a view?

If it's a gramplet then why a view? Let's see how it is accepted in next version. Could be a default gramplet.
There is still some work, eg a way to go quickly to editor (on overly icon eg ;-) )

These representations again have the issue of multiple families, so they show info, but not all. For multiple families an overlay could be used (eg supscript 1 that on click shows other familie parents that can be chosen).

(This is the first working version of the code; it doesn't have
translation strings, or much docs yet. If you find a bug or have a
suggestion, you can contact me directly. It likely has issues... but
should mostly work. )

Where do you find the time I often think! I wish I had time to dive into this code!

Benny

Let me know what you think about it as a gramplet or otherwise.

-Doug

Re: Interactive Fan Chart

Jason Simanek-2
On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 18:32 +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:
> 2009/1/19 Douglas S. Blank <[hidden email]>
>         Developers,
>
>         Check out:
>         http://www.cs.utah.edu/~draperg/research/fanchart/demo/

Cool idea. It reminds me of something I saw on Digg Labs. They got some
neat stuff there, aside from it being built with Flash. Check it out:

http://labs.digg.com/

Keep up the good work!

-Jason