Interactive USA county maps

sturdy
FYI...In a recent blog, The Legal Genealogist [1] wrote about an on-line
atlas of county maps available at the website of The Newberry Library
[2] . Now, I admit I haven't completely implemented the new hierarchical
places in Gramps but the Newberry Library files seem like a perfect
integration. PDF files of each county, state and territory can be
downloaded and integrated with Gramps. Even better, other GIS formats
are available and I see that Python ESRI libraries are available. This
looks to be really promising if others may be interested in similar geo
features. I don't know if similar files are available for other geo areas.

[1] http://www.legalgenealogist.com/2017/04/10/theyre-back/
[2] http://publications.newberry.org/ahcbp/index.html

Regards,
BobS

Re: Interactive USA county maps

John W. Kitz-3
Bob,

On 2017-04-10 19:28, [hidden email] wrote:

> FYI...In a recent blog, The Legal Genealogist [1] wrote about an
> on-line
> atlas of county maps available at the website of The Newberry Library
> [2] . Now, I admit I haven't completely implemented the new
> hierarchical
> places in Gramps but the Newberry Library files seem like a perfect
> integration. PDF files of each county, state and territory can be
> downloaded and integrated with Gramps. Even better, other GIS formats
> are available and I see that Python ESRI libraries are available. This
> looks to be really promising if others may be interested in similar geo
> features. I don't know if similar files are available for other geo
> areas.
>
> [1] http://www.legalgenealogist.com/2017/04/10/theyre-back/
> [2] http://publications.newberry.org/ahcbp/index.html
>
> Regards,
> BobS

I haven't read any of the articles you're referring to above, so I do
not known if my remarks are entirely pertinent to the topic. However,
I'd like to point out two GIS like efforts that I'm aware of. The first
in the Historic Geographic Information System (HISGIS) project of the
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fryske_Akademy, which is working to cover
The Netherlands as well as portions of Belgium.

The other one is the image bank of the City Archives of Amsterdam, which
superimposes old maps of Amsterdam neighborhoods onto current maps of
the city.

See the bottom of the page
http://beeldbank.amsterdam.nl/beeldbank/indeling/detail?f_sk_archief=10043%2F582
as an example, which superimposes a map of Amsterdam, Neighborhood L
dating from approx. 1875 to 1885 onto a current map of the same area.

Regards, Jk.