Internet tab...

Laura Lambert
On a slightly similar but completely unrelated (I think) note, I was wondering if it were possible to add the internet tab inside the citations?  I use mainly internet resources for my research, and it would be very handy if I could add the URL link (and I love the "Jump to" option) to the citation.

Right now on the data tab I add a key of URL and the value of the http:// etc.  But when I want to view it again, I have to open all the op and carefully c&p the value, being careful not to change or lose it.

Re: Internet tab...

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 21:58:46 -0500
Laura Lambert <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Laura,

>Right now on the data tab I add a key of URL and the value of the
>http:// etc.  But when I want to view it again, I have to open all the
>op and carefully c&p the value, being careful not to change or lose it.

I only use web refs for media.  The citation for the event uses the
vol/page refs of that medium (Parish Register, etc.), and in the gallery
I have an image of the source.  That gallery image has a citation
vol/page ref of the form http://blah.blah

IOW, for my use model, there's no need to add a URL in the "data" tab.
It would be nice if web references could be catered for in places other
than the "internet" tab, though.  Especially WRT "Jump to".

--
 Regards  _
Watching the people get lairy

Re: Internet tab...

enno
Brad, Laura,
> IOW, for my use model, there's no need to add a URL in the "data" tab.
> It would be nice if web references could be catered for in places
> other than the "internet" tab, though. Especially WRT "Jump to".
You can add URLs to (citation) notes, and use them like inside a web
browser. This works in the notes gramplet too, so if you want, you can
browse from notes in the bottom bar, or wherever you put that gramplet
on your screen.

regards,

Re: Internet tab...

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 13:43:37 +0100
Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Enno,

>You can add URLs to (citation) notes, and use them like inside a web

Certainly, the note highlights the url but, here at least, (double)
clicking on it didn't do anything useful.  That is, it didn't open a
page in my browser which is really what Laura and I are after.

--
 Regards  _
Kill joy, bad guy, big talking, small fry

Re: Internet tab...

Hivernat Emmanuel
Hello,

I think that you need to open the note, then right click on the link then click "open link"

this runs well even if it's not as easy to use as we would want.

Manu

Le 20/03/2015 17:28, Brad Rogers a écrit :
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 13:43:37 +0100
Enno Borgsteede [hidden email] wrote:

Hello Enno,

You can add URLs to (citation) notes, and use them like inside a web
Certainly, the note highlights the url but, here at least, (double)
clicking on it didn't do anything useful.  That is, it didn't open a
page in my browser which is really what Laura and I are after.

Re: Internet tab...

Peter (chamdo4ever)
On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>You can add URLs to (citation) notes, and use them like inside a web
>
> Certainly, the note highlights the url but, here at least, (double)
> clicking on it didn't do anything useful.  That is, it didn't open a
> page in my browser which is really what Laura and I are after.

For whatever it's worth, on Ubuntu 14.04 clicking on a highlighted URL
in Gramps 4.0.4. will always open my default browser (currently
Chromium).

Peter

Re: Internet tab...

Peter (chamdo4ever)
On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Hivernat Emmanuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think that you need to open the note, then right click on the link then
> click "open link"

Again, on Ubuntu 14.04 and Gramps 4.0.4, I do open the note, but there
is no need to right click and select on option -- I simply click on
the highlighted link in the note and the web page opens in Chromium.

Peter

Re: Internet tab...

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 17:40:10 +0100
Hivernat Emmanuel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Hivernat,

>I think that you need to open the note, then right click on the link
>then click "open link"

Yep, that does it, thanks.  I didn't even consider that a right click
would offer the option.  In fact, I didn't even consider that right click
would do anything.

>this runs well even if it's not as easy to use as we would want.

Is anything ever?   :-)

--
 Regards  _
Chose to play the fool in a six piece band

Re: Internet tab...

Hello Brad,
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 13:43:37 +0100
> Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Enno,
>
>> You can add URLs to (citation) notes, and use them like inside a web
> Certainly, the note highlights the url but, here at least, (double)
> clicking on it didn't do anything useful.  That is, it didn't open a
> page in my browser which is really what Laura and I are after.
You may blame debian, because that's what I see in your mail header. It
works with a single click in my Ubuntu based Linux Mint, but not on the
Linux Mint Debian Edition that I installed yesterday. Weird.

Right click works on both.

cheers,

Re: Internet tab...

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 21:19:50 +0100
Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Enno,

>You may blame debian, because that's what I see in your mail header. It

I wouldn't go so far as to say that just yet.  It _may_ be a WM/DE issue.
I noted that you've installed Mint Debian edition and see the same
behaviour there as I see, but even so....

--
 Regards  _
Black man got a lot of problems, but he don't mind throwing a brick

Re: Internet tab...

enno
Brad,
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 21:19:50 +0100
> Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Enno,
>
>> You may blame debian, because that's what I see in your mail header. It
> I wouldn't go so far as to say that just yet.  It _may_ be a WM/DE issue.
> I noted that you've installed Mint Debian edition and see the same
> behaviour there as I see, but even so....
It's no scientific proof indeed, but with the LMDE RC available it was a
nice test to do on my laptop. I think Debian updates libraries faster
than Ubuntu and Mint, and maybe they have broken something.

Testing on other platforms gives mixed results. I see nothing happen
when I click a http link in 4.1.2, running in Windows 10, but 4.1 works
well in Ubuntu based Mint.

On all platforms, I see the mouse cursor change from arrow to hand, so
that part works. It's the left click that has no effect on some, and
it's not caused by Debian alone.

I think it's worth a bug report, just to figure this out when someone
has time.

regards,