Is't safe switch from 3.4.8 - 3.4.9 to 4.2, thxs

Is't safe switch from 3.4.8 - 3.4.9 to 4.2, thxs

miki figuel

Re: Is't safe switch from 3.4.8 - 3.4.9 to 4.2, thxs

Hivernat Emmanuel
Hello,

I think the main gap is place hierarchy. For me the change is safe, to limit the risk of problem with places I think you have to prepare the switch using place completion tool for example to have clean data for your places (well done place name, all fields with similar data uppercase, interspace...)
Of course a good backup is always important.
and community is always close to you!!

Best regards

Re: Is't safe switch from 3.4.8 - 3.4.9 to 4.2, thxs

Alain AUPEIX
Le 11/09/2015 17:11, Hivernat Emmanuel a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I think the main gap is place hierarchy. For me the change is safe, to
> limit the risk of problem with places I think you have to prepare the
> switch using place completion tool for example to have clean data for
> your places (well done place name, all fields with similar data
> uppercase, interspace...)
For now and probably a few years, I continue to use 3.4.9, but I'm think
of after ...
I think that the new hierarchy of place is really better, as it doesn't
need to repeat a few infos as with 3.4.x, but I don't know how migration
can be done.

It seems that the job can't be done at ged level, what bugs me a little.
What and how does the place completion tool make the job?
Is this tool included in gramps 4.2 or an external tool ?

Thanks
A+
Alain Aupeix
http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
http://pissobi-lacassagne.pagesperso-orange.fr/

Re: Is't safe switch from 3.4.8 - 3.4.9 to 4.2, thxs

Hivernat Emmanuel
Place completion tool addon exist in 3.4 and also in 4.2
It's just an example to have clean data but perhaps you don't need.
You can also try a migration with a copy of you base on another PC or on
a virtual one if you want to test first

Manu

Le 11/09/2015 17:43, Hivernat Emmanuel a écrit :
Place completion tool addon exist in 3.4 and also in 4.2
It's just an example to have clean data but perhaps you don't need.
You can also try a migration with a copy of you base on another PC or on
a virtual one if you want to test first
I done it, and it seems to have work nicely, without launching the tool (or perhaps I don't seen it)
Just an error when the import has finished, but I think it was because I changed the view to persons before the import was completly finished.
After having launch gramps again, it was ok.

Thanks
A+
--

Alain Aupeix
http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
http://pissobi-lacassagne.pagesperso-orange.fr/

U.buntu 12.04 | G.ramps 3.4.9-1 | H.arbour 3.2.0dev (2015-09-07 14:28) | HbIDE (Rev.316) | Five.Linux (r143) | Hw.Gui (2492)

Re: Is't safe switch from 3.4.8 - 3.4.9 to 4.2, thxs

miki figuel
Ooops! Merci Emmanuel

To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]

Re: Is't safe switch from 3.4.8 - 3.4.9 to 4.2, thxs

rcarlson

When you switch is a personal decision for you alone. I always knew I would switch, the question was when? To help me answer that I bought a 16G flash drive and created a bootable version of Xubuntu on it. Then as each version of Gramps 4 came out I installed it on Xubuntu, imported my data and worked out if I wanted to move. When 4.2 came out, I decided it was time to move.

I tried a straight import of my data, and in my case I found I had Newcastle-upon-Tyne entered as a City five times. Looking at my data in 4.2 and changing it to show my original place names, it was easy to see why this had happened – my places data entry was poor & inconsistent. I went back into my live 3.9 Gramps and started cleaning and improving my data. I went round this loop of cleaning and importing several times as I learnt more about my data. Eventually my data was in a state that I was happy with when importing. I moved to 4.2, embraced the improved place hierarchy by further improving my places data. For example all my churches are now classed as churches, all cemeteries are cemeteries etc.. in the place higher.

A key decision for me was that in 3.9, the places entry tab should be filled with the accurate and relevant information ( i.e City Name, County name, Country name, Locality) and use the Street field for everything else. This ensured that the top of the hierarchy was right.

Once imported, all I had to do was untangle my streets. For example if I has Walker Cemetery, Church Street, in the locality of Walker, in the City of Newcastle, I used the street field to transfer the data “Walker Cemetery, Church Street” into 4.2. It was then easy to split it when in 4.2 particularly as it was already in the correct hierarchy of County, City, Locality.

In summary, it took me a couple of days effort, but I think my data is better because of the change.

I’m now going off to find out the difference between hamlets, villages and towns and how I apply that to the expanding communities that may have been all three over the centuries!!

Richard

Re: Is't safe switch from 3.4.8 - 3.4.9 to 4.2, thxs

Hello Alain,

> Le 11/09/2015 17:11, Hivernat Emmanuel a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> I think the main gap is place hierarchy. For me the change is safe, to
>> limit the risk of problem with places I think you have to prepare the
>> switch using place completion tool for example to have clean data for
>> your places (well done place name, all fields with similar data
>> uppercase, interspace...)
> For now and probably a few years, I continue to use 3.4.9, but I'm think
> of after ...
> I think that the new hierarchy of place is really better, as it doesn't
> need to repeat a few infos as with 3.4.x, but I don't know how migration
> can be done.
>
> It seems that the job can't be done at ged level, what bugs me a little.
> What and how does the place completion tool make the job?
> Is this tool included in gramps 4.2 or an external tool ?
As far as I know, we have 3 tools available:
1. Extracts information from place names, using built-in rules,
2. Completes place information using user specified filters, and a
downloadable database,
3. Converts place titles to a hierachy.
Number 1 and 2 are available for most Gramps versions, so you can run
them in 3.4.9 and newer. Number 3 was made for 4.1, and probably also
works in 4.2 when hacked.

If you use number 1 or 2, you can let that tool fill in city, county,
state, and other fields, and when you then import a .gramps file into
Gramps 4.2 (or 4.1) it will automatically create a hierarchy based on
those fields. If they're all empty, and you only have a title, you will
not get any hierarchy.

Tool number 3 reads the place information in the title, and uses commas
to split that into a hierarchy, assuming that each comma separates a
place part from a higher level part, like city, province, country. If
you have that, it works nice, but you still have to assign types for
each level, because the tool does not make any assumptions about those.
It just builds a typeless hierarchy, nothing else.

If you like to experiment, I suggest that you run 4.2 from source, and
keep 3.4.9 installed in the menu. That's how I test things myself while
still using 3.4.9 for my real tree.

regards,