Is there a particular reason why "Divorce" isn't included as a relationship type?

Is there a particular reason why "Divorce" isn't included as a relationship type?

John W. Kitz
Hi,

I've been using Gramps since a couple of days. Consequently have only been
able to enter a limited amount of information sofar, but I noticed that
relationships can only be given four types, i.e. "Unmarried, Married, Civil
Union and Unknown". Personal events on the other hand also include
"Divorce".

Is there a particular reason why "Divorce" isn't included as a relationship
type?

Another thing that I noticed, which probably is related (no pun intended) to
the above is this; when running the data verification tool from the tools
menu one of the results I get is "Marriage date but not married", which I
guess is caused by the fact that I entered a relationship with a marriage
date, but a type of "Unmarried" because the couple in question at some point
in time divorced. I included the divorce as a personal event for both people
involved, but the relationship type isn't taken from the most recent
personal event for both partner in the relationship nor can it be set to a
type "Divorced" manually.

Is there a particular reason why the data verification tool flags this as a
warning?

Regards, Jk.

Re: Is there a particular reason why "Divorce" isn't included as a relationship type?

manzi.sam
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Is there a particular reason why "Divorce" isn't included as a relationship type?

Nicholas Robinson
Hi

My view is that a marriage event occurs at the beginning of a married relationship and a divorce is one of the events that ends it.  Just as we don't have 'widowed' relationships, there seems no reason to have a divorced relationship either.

How long would a divorced relationship continue? Until one of the partners re-marries or forever?

Nick

Sent from my iPad

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Is there a particular reason why "Divorce" isn't included as a relationship type?

John W. Kitz

Sam (and others),

First of all thanks for taking the time to respond and the links to previous discussions on the topic, which I kinda expected given that I started using Gramps pretty late in its development cycle.

Note I've update the user manual to include a link to the relevant page also.

Mentioned link:
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.2_Wiki_Manual_-_Entering_and_editing_data:_detailed_-_part_1#Family_Editor_dialog

Or press the help button in the "Family Editor"

On 26 December 2016 at 10:52, Sam Manzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hope the following helps you?

Note I've update the user manual to include a link to the relevant page also.

How do I represent a divorce?

I want to indicate that two people are divorced, yet Gramps does not have a Relationship type of Divorced. How do I represent this?

Gramps does not consider Divorced to be a relationship type. Instead, it is an event that terminates the relationship. If two people are divorced, it does not change the fact that they had a relationship type of Married. Divorce, like Death, is one way in which a marriage is terminated. Just as the death of a spouse does not change the fact that two people were married, a divorce does not change the fact that two people were married.

So to represent a marriage that ended in divorce:

  1. Create a family
  2. Add both spouses
  3. Set the relationship to Married
  4. Add an Event of type Divorce

from: https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Indicate_a_divorce

As for the topic itself; I looked at all the information at the links provided and entered the data as per the four steps detailed below, but that still results in the data verification tool issuing a warning message "Marriage date but not married". I do see the logic in the tool issuing a warning message if I had entered the data in a way that is consistent with what the software regards as valid, but now that I entered the data as per the four steps detailed below, what is the rationale for the software to still issue a warning message?

Previous discussion:

http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Displaying-divorce-details-td1810571.html

http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Relationship-td1812050.html

http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/how-to-enter-an-unmarried-couple-s-quot-divorce-quot-td2300799.html

As for the question whether or not there is a need for other relationship types, in addition to the four currently available, to accurately reflect what we find in the records of city halls, court houses, city, regional and national archives, etc. regarding our ancestors; looking at previous discussions there are several others that seem to have asked the same question and while doing so have come to the conclusion that such a need exists.

Also please consider that the existence of two marriage relationships at the same time AFAIK legally constitutes bigamy and looking at it from a present-day legal perspective is the reason that death of one of the partners or divorce AFAIK ends an existing relationship of the type marriage, to put it in Gramps terminology. While I gather from previous discussions that as one goes back in time when researching records one may find that events such as divorce and civil union may not have been possible, shouldn't the development also reflect present day and future legal possibilities to be able to accurately record actual events irrespective of one's personal opinion about the question whether those events should be reflected in the laws of the lands, so to say, in the first place?

Considering the above has a change request been raised in the past through the trouble ticketing system to formally ask for such a change to be considered and if so what was the outcome of that?

Merry Xmas to all and regards, Jk.

Re: Is there a particular reason why "Divorce" isn't included as a relationship type?

John W. Kitz
Nick,

"My view is that a marriage event occurs at the beginning of a married
relationship and a divorce is one of the events that ends it.  Just as we
don't have 'widowed' relationships, there seems no reason to have a divorced
relationship either.

How long would a divorced relationship continue? Until one of the partners
re-marries or forever?"

I'm inclined to answer that question with forever.

I've probably been looking into this for a much shorter amount of time than
most the others on this list; that said please consider that in the early
nineteen hundreds, and maybe even before that (others may be able to comment
on that) Dutch marriage documents specify whether or not one is a widow,
widower, divorcée or divorcé when one enters a new marriage.

While I wonder if it is useful to start yet another discussion on this topic
on this mailing list, given that several have already preceded it, rather
than formally asking the developers of the software to consider a change
request, here is another way to look at it; a relationship of the type
marriage never ends, not even through divorce or death, which can therefore
be considered as events which merely change the nature of the relationship
and the software ought to be able to reflect that change through its
relationship types.

Regards, Jk.

Re: Is there a particular reason why "Divorce" isn't included as a relationship type?

John W. Kitz
Nick,

"My view is that a marriage event occurs at the beginning of a married
relationship and a divorce is one of the events that ends it.  Just as we
don't have 'widowed' relationships, there seems no reason to have a divorced
relationship either.

How long would a divorced relationship continue? Until one of the partners
re-marries or forever?"

I'm inclined to answer that question with forever.

to remarry, in which case the nature of an already existing relationship
(which already had the types of married and divorced and their associated
events and dates) changes yet again into married. <<<<

[...]

Translate a plugin

v_alfano
Dear Users,
I found Reinhard Mueller plugin the genealogical tree that I prefer. The only drawback I see, is that it’s not translated.  There is any possibility to translate it in Italian? I’m willing to do the job of course, can you just give me some hints about how to translate the plugin? Should be very easy, I just want to have the possibility of having “born in” translated in “nato il”. If there is need for other translation into Italian, I’m available of course.

Best regards and merry Christmas!

Vincenzo

Re: Is there a particular reason why "Divorce" isn't included as a relationship type?

J. Allen Crider-2

On 12/25/2016 05:07 PM, John W. Kitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using Gramps since a couple of days. Consequently have only been
> able to enter a limited amount of information sofar, but I noticed that
> relationships can only be given four types, i.e. "Unmarried, Married, Civil
> Union and Unknown". Personal events on the other hand also include
> "Divorce".

Divorce is also a valid event type for family events.  I've always used
a relationship type of Married and included the two family events
Marriage and Divorce when I had information on them.  I think that is a
better representation of the relationship than adding a new relationship
type.

> Is there a particular reason why "Divorce" isn't included as a relationship
> type?
>
> Another thing that I noticed, which probably is related (no pun intended) to
> the above is this; when running the data verification tool from the tools
> menu one of the results I get is "Marriage date but not married", which I
> guess is caused by the fact that I entered a relationship with a marriage
> date, but a type of "Unmarried" because the couple in question at some point
> in time divorced. I included the divorce as a personal event for both people
> involved, but the relationship type isn't taken from the most recent
> personal event for both partner in the relationship nor can it be set to a
> type "Divorced" manually.
>
> Is there a particular reason why the data verification tool flags this as a
> warning?
>
> Regards, Jk.

Re: Is there a particular reason why "Divorce" isn't included as a relationship type?

Hello all,

So to represent a marriage that ended in divorce:
  1. Create a family
  2. Add both spouses
  3. Set the relationship to Married
  4. Add an Event of type Divorce

from: https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Indicate_a_divorce

As far as I'm concerned, there is quite an essential step missing here, and that's the marriage event itself!

Agreed?

Re: Translate a plugin

Hello Vincenzo,

> I found Reinhard Mueller plugin the genealogical tree that I prefer. The only drawback I see, is that it’s not translated.  There is any possibility to translate it in Italian? I’m willing to do the job of course, can you just give me some hints about how to translate the plugin? Should be very easy, I just want to have the possibility of having “born in” translated in “nato il”. If there is need for other translation into Italian, I’m available of course.
There's a page about translations on the wiki

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Translating_Gramps

which can look quite complicated at first sight, and on second too. It
describes the general principles, and has a link to add-on (plug-in)
translations at the bottom.

The information on above page seems to be a bit outdated, but I don't
have the knowledge to update it, so I hope that you read it anyway. The
page it links to for add-ons looks up-to-date to me.

regards,

Re: Translate a plugin

Paul Franklin-5
Yes, reading the wiki is a good way to start.  (If you
or any user find something you think needs changing,
apply for a wiki account and then change it.)

The top level overview is that you will create a text
page, starting from a template with the English strings
and adding the Italian ones.  On a per-addon basis.

The page(s) is/are then transferred to somebody
who can add it/them to the gramps addon sources.
This can be done by email, attaching an upload to
a "feature request" on the bug tracker, or by making
a "pull request" on github.  I suppose all three ways
are mentioned on the wiki (if not, they should be),
but I find email the easiest, especially for a newcomer.

NdK

Il 26/12/2016 13:28, John W. Kitz ha scritto:

> While I wonder if it is useful to start yet another discussion on this topic
> on this mailing list, given that several have already preceded it, rather
> than formally asking the developers of the software to consider a change
> request, here is another way to look at it; a relationship of the type
> marriage never ends, not even through divorce or death, which can therefore
> be considered as events which merely change the nature of the relationship
> and the software ought to be able to reflect that change through its
> relationship types.
IMVHO, if that's what you need, you shouldn't use the "relationship
type" at all, and just track the state throught the sequence of the events.

The relationship type could nevertheless be useful for others (with
different requirements), but that doesn't mean you *have* to use it just
because it's there. :)

BYtE,
 Diego

Re: Is there a particular reason why "Divorce" isn't included as a relationship type?

Brad Rogers
On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 00:07:13 +0100
"John W. Kitz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello John,

>Is there a particular reason why "Divorce" isn't included as a
>relationship type?

I'm with the Gramps team.  'Divorced' isn't a relationship;  It's the
event that indicates the cessation of one.

--
 Regards  _
Buy some love at the five and dime

Re: Is there a particular reason why "Divorce" isn't included as a relationship type?

John W. Kitz

Dave,

"Just because there are only the four options provided in the relationship type, you as the user can add any other Type that meets your needs. You can  just type over the default option and have it show Divorced (or anything else)."

I wasn't aware of that thanks for the tip.

"Not sure what affect, if any, this custom change would have in reports, etc. I cannot think of any of the things I've done where it would matter but I'll defer to the programmers if something would go wonky because of this change."

Prior to seeing your reply I had already created a feature request in the bug tracking tool. Who knows the additional potential issue you bringing up may be answered in it as well.

Thanks and regards, Jk.

Re: Is there a particular reason why "Divorce" isn't included as a relationship type?

Brad Rogers
On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 21:55:44 +0000
Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello All,

>I'm with the Gramps team.  '

I should clarify; as in "I agree with" not "I'm a member of"

--
 Regards  _
Stained glass windows keep the cold outside

Re: Translate a plugin

v_alfano

> Il giorno 26 dic 2016, alle ore 19:40, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> Yes, reading the wiki is a good way to start.  (If you
> or any user find something you think needs changing,
> apply for a wiki account and then change it.)
>
> The top level overview is that you will create a text
> page, starting from a template with the English strings
> and adding the Italian ones.  On a per-addon basis.
>
> The page(s) is/are then transferred to somebody
> who can add it/them to the gramps addon sources.
> This can be done by email, attaching an upload to
> a "feature request" on the bug tracker, or by making
> a "pull request" on github.  I suppose all three ways
> are mentioned on the wiki (if not, they should be),
> but I find email the easiest, especially for a newcomer.

Thank you very much for the quick answer. As far as I understood, is very important to don’t change the original text but to add it. My question is: where should I add it? under the original? I downloaded the original plugin, and had a look to the .py file. Looks that there are just a couple of words to be translated. Should I provide a new copy of the file with the translation, or add the translation to the original one? In case of the latter, where into the file? Thank you again, and excuse me for my newbieness!

Re: Translate a plugin

Nick Hall
On 27/12/16 11:27, Vincenzo Alfano wrote:
> Thank you very much for the quick answer. As far as I understood, is very important to don’t change the original text but to add it. My question is: where should I add it? under the original? I downloaded the original plugin, and had a look to the .py file. Looks that there are just a couple of words to be translated. Should I provide a new copy of the file with the translation, or add the translation to the original one? In case of the latter, where into the file? Thank you again, and excuse me for my newbieness!

You will need to create and edit a translation file (it-local.po), as
described here:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addons_development#Get_translators_to_translate_your_addon_into_multiple_languages

Do you have a GitHub account?

Re: Translate a plugin

v_alfano
Thank you Nick.

> Il giorno 27 dic 2016, alle ore 16:21, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> You will need to create and edit a translation file (it-local.po), as
> described here:
>
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addons_development#Get_translators_to_translate_your_addon_into_multiple_languages
>
> Do you have a GitHub account?

I don’t.