Is there a plugin-addon that does this?

dep

Is there a plugin-addon that does this?

dep
Hi, everybody . . .

This might be an issue unique to me, or it might be something others
encounter. I'll be going alongg entering data, following some twig a lot
farther than I thought it would go, and when the smoke clears I have no
idea where I am or what twig I've followed. While the Charts view lets me
back out, it would be really wonderful if there were a way of generating a
single-page (okay, it would have to be a *huge* page) .pdf of the whole
tree, both to give me a sense of where I am at the moment and to get a
sense of what areas of the tree really need more research. I've tried to
print to .pdf the various graphical reports and have found that the result
runs to thousands of pages, many blank and most of the others containing a
single entry.

Is there a way of generating an all-encompassing overview? If not, what do
others here do to get a more general view of their trees?

Thanks.
--
dep

Some pictures:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album

Re: Is there a plugin-addon that does this?

Patrick Gerlier
Hello,

I wouldn't recommend printing the whole tree. I did a long while ago
when I add access to an A0 plotter (more than 1 meter wide!) with rolls
of paper, so final dimension did not matter. I used the family line report.

My DB when then rather small (1000-1500 persons), but auto placement by
GraphViz is not ideal. Close relatives may be drawn relatively far from
each other with curved arrows linking them. There are many of them and
they cross or frequently overlap.

In the end, the global graph is quite useless.

Instead, make a few family lines from selected people. Of course there
will be intersections (same people present in several charts) between
the charts (same people present in several charts) but you end up with
lean graphs which can be easily read.

When your chart contains more than ~200 persons, visual clutter make it
unusable.

The main cause in family lines crossing again and again when husband and
wife have a common ancestor (and to add difficulty, not on the same
generation rank).

Regards

Le 08/11/2019 à 19:26, dep a écrit :

> Hi, everybody . . .
>
> This might be an issue unique to me, or it might be something others
> encounter. I'll be going alongg entering data, following some twig a lot
> farther than I thought it would go, and when the smoke clears I have no
> idea where I am or what twig I've followed. While the Charts view lets me
> back out, it would be really wonderful if there were a way of generating a
> single-page (okay, it would have to be a *huge* page) .pdf of the whole
> tree, both to give me a sense of where I am at the moment and to get a
> sense of what areas of the tree really need more research. I've tried to
> print to .pdf the various graphical reports and have found that the result
> runs to thousands of pages, many blank and most of the others containing a
> single entry.
>
> Is there a way of generating an all-encompassing overview? If not, what do
> others here do to get a more general view of their trees?
>
> Thanks.

Re: Is there a plugin-addon that does this?

Peter Merchant
Maybe what is required is a drawing of the links between your home person and the last person on your twig. There may be a way of filtering for this?

Peter M.

> Le 08/11/2019 à 19:26, dep a écrit :
>> Hi, everybody . . .
>>
>> This might be an issue unique to me, or it might be something others
>> encounter. I'll be going alongg entering data, following some twig a lot
>> farther than I thought it would go, and when the smoke clears I have no
>> idea where I am or what twig I've followed. While the Charts view lets me
>> back out, it would be really wonderful if there were a way of generating a
>> single-page (okay, it would have to be a *huge* page) .pdf of the whole
>> tree, both to give me a sense of where I am at the moment and to get a
>> sense of what areas of the tree really need more research. I've tried to
>> print to .pdf the various graphical reports and have found that the result
>> runs to thousands of pages, many blank and most of the others containing a
>> single entry.
>>
>> Is there a way of generating an all-encompassing overview? If not, what do
>> others here do to get a more general view of their trees?
>>
>> Thanks.

Re: Is there a plugin-addon that does this?

George Wilmes
Hello,

<< Is there a way of generating an all-encompassing overview? >>

The Quilt Chart is all-encompassing, though challenging to navigate and not advisable to print.

<< ... to get a sense of what areas of the tree really need more research >>

I notice that the fan charts are sensitive to any filters you might apply, in the sense that the people not matching the filters are greyed out. So if you could use some combinations of tags or filters to codify your criteria for which people "need more research", that might help you somewhat.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 1:46 PM Peter Merchant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Maybe what is required is a drawing of the links between your home person and the last person on your twig. There may be a way of filtering for this?

Peter M.

> Le 08/11/2019 à 19:26, dep a écrit :
>> Hi, everybody . . .
>>
>> This might be an issue unique to me, or it might be something others
>> encounter. I'll be going alongg entering data, following some twig a lot
>> farther than I thought it would go, and when the smoke clears I have no
>> idea where I am or what twig I've followed. While the Charts view lets me
>> back out, it would be really wonderful if there were a way of generating a
>> single-page (okay, it would have to be a *huge* page) .pdf of the whole
>> tree, both to give me a sense of where I am at the moment and to get a
>> sense of what areas of the tree really need more research. I've tried to
>> print to .pdf the various graphical reports and have found that the result
>> runs to thousands of pages, many blank and most of the others containing a
>> single entry.
>>
>> Is there a way of generating an all-encompassing overview? If not, what do
>> others here do to get a more general view of their trees?
>>
>> Thanks.

Re: Is there a plugin-addon that does this?

Nico Rikken
Hello dep,

You're not alone, I also create a pdf to keep an overview. Its easy to zoom in and out, and search. You easily lose sight of your place in the graph though, but it helps mee to see lines that are lagging and need more investigation, and persons that are not connected.

Thinking about it, you could even annotate the pdf graph for quick notes.

I create a pdf of a Relationship Graph, of the Entire Database, with the number of pages to 1.
Some pdf viewers are quite limited in the zoom level, so you might have to try a different one to help you zoom far enough.

Hope this helps,
Nico