Is there's a way to customize the way in which Gramps sorts last names that have a prefix?

Is there's a way to customize the way in which Gramps sorts last names that have a prefix?

John W. Kitz-3
Hi,

By default Gramps includes last name prefixes like 'de', 'van', etc. in the
sort. While it is common in some countries to do so, it is not in others.

To give a couple of examples a last name like 'van Bommel' currently would
appear in front of a last name like 'Vos' and a last name like 'de Groot'
currently would appear in front of a last name like 'Engels' when the sort
order is A to Z. While the expected behavior in some countries would be to
have 'van Bommel' appear somewhere in between last names starting with a 'B'
and similarly have a last name like 'de Groot' appear somewhere in between
last names starting with a 'G'.

Does anybody know if there's a way to customize the way in which Gramps
sorts last names on e.g. the people and family screen?

Regards, Jk.

Re: Is there's a way to customize the way in which Gramps sorts last names that have a prefix?

Dave Scheipers
Hi JK

By default, the sort order is the same as how you set the name to display in Preferences. You can override this on a case by case basis.

Under the name tab in the person edit, you can edit both the sort order and the display option for the name. Obviously the sort will only have any effect if that name is set as preferred, but you can set it for any other name attached just in case you switch the preferred name. Likewise, you can change how a name is grouped. This may be useful with hyphenated names.

Hope this helped, Dave

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:43 PM, John W. Kitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dave,

On 2017-03-15 19:29, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> Hi JK
>
> By default, the sort order is the same as how you set the name to
> display in Preferences. You can override this on a case by case basis.

Exactly what I was looking for. Set it to display to what I believe to
be customary in my neck of the woods or to my preference whatever may be
the case.

Thanks and regards, Jk.