Joomla component.

Sjoerd van Staveren
I have made a Joomla! component and a Joomla! module that make it possible to show the contents of your GRAMPS database on a website that makes use of the Joomla! CMS. You can see what it looks like on my own website ( www.van-staveren.net ) It is in dutch but you will get the idea.
If you want to try the component and the module, please feel free to download them overhere.

You must install the component first and upload your data.gramps file (the xml document you can make with the export function of GRAMPS) with the components backend and then install the module. You have to make a menu item from the component in the usual way and you can place the module where you want. The module has two parts, one part shows the statistics of your database, the other shows the events of the current date.

Please let me know your comments and ideas.

Sjoerd van Staveren
Schoolstraat 9
5866AW Swolgen
0478 698039
www.van-staveren.net

Re: Joomla component.

Stefan Haller-5
Hi Sjoerd,

that sounds very cool! I'm a long time Joomla user and was working with TNG on Joomla 1.0. But your component seems to be fully integrated
which makes a lot of things much much easier. I will for sure have a closer look at it.

I will let you know when I tried it.

Regards,
Stefan

Am 27.01.2010 um 20:42 schrieb Sjoerd van Staveren:

[...]

Nicholas Robinson
I've had a quick look and it loaded up my gramps database with only a
slight hiccup - I have single quotes in the titles of some sources.
Putting an addslashes() in the gramps.php source file fixed that.

Looks good!

Thanks

Nick

On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 21:17 +0100, Stefan Haller wrote:

> Hi Sjoerd,
>

> that sounds very cool! I'm a long time Joomla user and was working
> with TNG on Joomla 1.0. But your component seems to be fully
> integrated
> which makes a lot of things much much easier. I will for sure have a
> closer look at it.
>

> I will let you know when I tried it.
>

> Regards,
> Stefan
>
> Am 27.01.2010 um 20:42 schrieb Sjoerd van Staveren:
>
> > I have made a Joomla! component and a Joomla! module that make it
> > possible to show the contents of your GRAMPS database on a website
> > that makes use of the Joomla! CMS. You can see what it looks like on
> > my own website ( www.van-staveren.net ) It is in dutch but you will
> > get the idea.
> > If you want to try the component and the module, please feel free to
> > download them overhere.
> >
> > You must install the component first and upload your data.gramps
> > file (the xml document you can make with the export function of
> > GRAMPS) with the components backend and then install the module. You
> > have to make a menu item from the component in the usual way and you
> > can place the module where you want. The module has two parts, one
> > part shows the statistics of your database, the other shows the
> > events of the current date.
> >
> > Please let me know your comments and ideas.
> >
> > Sjoerd van Staveren
> > Schoolstraat 9
> > 5866AW Swolgen
> > 0478 698039
> > www.van-staveren.net

> > The Planet: dedicated and managed hosting, cloud storage, colocation
> > Stay online with enterprise data centers and the best network in the
> > business
> > Choose flexible plans and management services without long-term
> > contracts
> > Personal 24x7 support from experience hosting pros just a phone call
> > away.
> > http://p.sf.net/sfu/theplanet-com_______________________________________________
> > Gramps-users mailing list
> > [hidden email]

Re: Joomla component.

2010/1/27 Sjoerd van Staveren <[hidden email]>
I have made a Joomla! component and a Joomla! module that make it possible to show the contents of your GRAMPS database on a website that makes use of the Joomla! CMS. You can see what it looks like on my own website ( www.van-staveren.net ) It is in dutch but you will get the idea.
If you want to try the component and the module, please feel free to download them overhere.

You must install the component first and upload your data.gramps file (the xml document you can make with the export function of GRAMPS) with the components backend and then install the module. You have to make a menu item from the component in the usual way and you can place the module where you want. The module has two parts, one part shows the statistics of your database, the other shows the events of the current date.

Please let me know your comments and ideas.

Looks very nice.

Please, add a wiki page to our website explaining this, and add a link from
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Tutorials

As one of the developers of Gramps I have one question: do you check the version number of the xml on import in Joomla? Please do, and don't allow import of xml versions that you have not tested, see http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GRAMPS_XML for examples of older xml versions and the changes in the dtd schema over the years.
For upcoming 3.2, there are no changes compared to present 3.1.

Greetings,
Benny

Sjoerd van Staveren
Schoolstraat 9
5866AW Swolgen
0478 698039
www.van-staveren.net

Re: Joomla component.

Sjoerd van Staveren
Hello Nick,

Thank you for your comment. I will make the adaptation in the install package this weekend and also in other parts of the file where slashes could occur in text.

Sjoerd van Staveren
Schoolstraat 9
5866AW Swolgen
0478 698039
www.van-staveren.net

I've had a quick look and it loaded up my gramps database with only a
slight hiccup - I have single quotes in the titles of some sources.
Putting an addslashes() in the gramps.php source file fixed that.

Looks good!

Thanks

Nick

On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 21:17 +0100, Stefan Haller wrote:
> Hi Sjoerd,
>

> that sounds very cool! I'm a long time Joomla user and was working
> with TNG on Joomla 1.0. But your component seems to be fully
> integrated
> which makes a lot of things much much easier. I will for sure have a
> closer look at it.
>

> I will let you know when I tried it.
>

> Regards,
> Stefan
>
> Am 27.01.2010 um 20:42 schrieb Sjoerd van Staveren:
>
> > I have made a Joomla! component and a Joomla! module that make it
> > possible to show the contents of your GRAMPS database on a website
> > that makes use of the Joomla! CMS. You can see what it looks like on
> > my own website ( www.van-staveren.net ) It is in dutch but you will
> > get the idea.
> > If you want to try the component and the module, please feel free to
> > download them overhere.
> >
> > You must install the component first and upload your data.gramps
> > file (the xml document you can make with the export function of
> > GRAMPS) with the components backend and then install the module. You
> > have to make a menu item from the component in the usual way and you
> > can place the module where you want. The module has two parts, one
> > part shows the statistics of your database, the other shows the
> > events of the current date.
> >
> > Please let me know your comments and ideas.
> >
> > Sjoerd van Staveren
> > Schoolstraat 9
> > 5866AW Swolgen
> > 0478 698039
> > www.van-staveren.net

> > The Planet: dedicated and managed hosting, cloud storage, colocation
> > Stay online with enterprise data centers and the best network in the
> > business
> > Choose flexible plans and management services without long-term
> > contracts
> > Personal 24x7 support from experience hosting pros just a phone call
> > away.
> > http://p.sf.net/sfu/theplanet-com_______________________________________________
> > Gramps-users mailing list
> > [hidden email]

Re: Joomla component.

Sjoerd van Staveren
Hello Benny,

Thank you for your comments. I will make the wiki page a.s.a.p. It is a good thing you mention this version check. I didn't realize that older versions of Gramps could give problems. I will check the link you gave me and add a version control.

Sjoerd van Staveren
Schoolstraat 9
5866AW Swolgen
0478 698039
www.van-staveren.net

Re: Joomla component.

Sjoerd van Staveren
Benny,

The links to the examples on http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GRAMPS_XML are all dead links exept [1]

Sjoerd van Staveren
Schoolstraat 9
5866AW Swolgen
0478 698039
www.van-staveren.net

Re: Joomla component.

DS Blank
On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 6:38 AM, Sjoerd van Staveren <[hidden email]> wrote:
Benny,

The links to the examples on http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GRAMPS_XML are all dead links exept [1]

Fixed.

-Doug

Sjoerd van Staveren
Schoolstraat 9
5866AW Swolgen
0478 698039
www.van-staveren.net

Re: Joomla component.

Martin Ewing
I am trying to set up data in Joomla 1.5.15 with php 4.4.9 using the components given.  I get the following error message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: simplexml_load_file() in ... /administrator/components/com_gramps/models/gramps.php on line 165

I am not clear exactly what gramps output we are supposed to use.  Is it a "GRAMPS XML database" export?  That's what I am trying.  I am not a PHP person, alas.

Thanks for any help.

Martin

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dr. Martin S. Ewing, AA6E
Member IEEE, URSI, AAS, ARRL
Branford, Connecticut

Re: Joomla component.

Sjoerd van Staveren
Hello Martin,

Thank you for your reaction.

I am using SimpleXML for extracting the data from the GRAMPS XML database file. SimpleXML is an extension in PHP5. So it won't work in any version of PHP4. I realise now that Joomla! 1.5.x and all of its components are and should be backward compatible with PHP4. It is one of the issues I have to resolve. Please keep in mind that this project is in its very first stage.

Sjoerd van Staveren
Schoolstraat 9
5866AW Swolgen
0478 698039
www.van-staveren.net

Re: Joomla component.

Martin Ewing
Hi, Sjoerd,

Thanks for the reply.  My hosting provider (1and1.com) defaults to PHP v 4, but v5 is available by installing

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

in the root .htaccess file.  Easy enough, but it would help if the gramps component checked for the necessary software versions before giving inscrutable error messages.

Now my file is loaded, and we will see how well it works...

Cheers,

Martin

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:00 AM, Sjoerd van Staveren <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Martin,

Thank you for your reaction.

I am using SimpleXML for extracting the data from the GRAMPS XML database file. SimpleXML is an extension in PHP5. So it won't work in any version of PHP4. I realise now that Joomla! 1.5.x and all of its components are and should be backward compatible with PHP4. It is one of the issues I have to resolve. Please keep in mind that this project is in its very first stage.

Sjoerd van Staveren
Schoolstraat 9
5866AW Swolgen
0478 698039
www.van-staveren.net

Re: Joomla component.

Sjoerd van Staveren
Hello Martin, Benny

You are right. I have added a versioncheck for PHP. With PHP4 the upload won't start and a message is shown. A versioncheck for GRAMS was added also. XML files created with GRAMPS versions older then 2.0 are rejected, also with an error message.

Sjoerd van Staveren
Schoolstraat 9
5866AW Swolgen
0478 698039
www.van-staveren.net

Re: Joomla component.

Martin Ewing
All is working for me now.

The module/component seems to offer a lot of potential, but it obviously only accesses a limited amount of the data potentially available in the Gramps db.  I look forward to further development!

I have a little test site that shows both the new module's output along with a web report of the same data as produced by Gramps itself.  (Having to upload the xml db as a single compact file is very attractive compared with the zillion-file HTML report.)

The site: http://gen.ewing.aa6e.net

Cheers,
Martin

--